British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

I was at a meeting where some of the management stated, when the stadium was first muted, that they would want to have big meetings there starting with the Speedway World Cup, well with a capacity cut to 3500 and this level of parking they have no chance.

I remember the great days when we had approx 15,000 at Blunsdon for a test match against USA.

If more than three coaches turn up they will have to drop fans off and go and find somewhere else to park.

With the way things are with speedway these days Orlov we are lucky to have a stadium let alone a new one.So look on the positive side we will both be sitting/standing in a new stadium and both of us should feel very lucky we are living in clover towards a lot of our other speedway friends who could/have lost their stadium forever.

As long as we have a stadium to watch our speedway in every thing is good.

• Like 1

If we do get this new one that will be good, but am just wanting to see something happen as to date all we have had is a lot of bull crap and excuses as to why no progress is taking place.

The above comments about holding the World Cup is an example of the bull crap mentioned. 

I could never understand why reading never upgraded smallmead stadium instead of selling it off. The new Swindon proposals sound ideal, if they happen.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I could never understand why reading never upgraded smallmead stadium instead of selling it off. The new Swindon proposals sound ideal, if they happen.

Do you mean the Dore family when they sold it to Stadia UK ? If so they had hardly spent a penny on it for many a year and it  needed a lot of money spent- which Stadia UK  did spend.    

37 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Do you mean the Dore family when they sold it to Stadia UK ? If so they had hardly spent a penny on it for many a year and it  needed a lot of money spent- which Stadia UK  did spend.    

Why didn't stadia UK build two new grandstands at smallmead, like what is being planned at Swindon. It had good road links and a perfectly shaped track. Surely better and cheaper than relocating to the proposed 'racino'.

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Why didn't stadia UK build two new grandstands at smallmead, like what is being planned at Swindon. It had good road links and a perfectly shaped track. Surely better and cheaper than relocating to the proposed 'racino'.

Not really because they were hoping the "Racino " would fund most of the build. plus the lease was running out.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2018 at 8:13 PM, Stoke Potter said:

You need some info from the promotion on all the dimensions of the new track, has this been forthcoming yet??

Just seen this debate for the first time so forgive me if this has already been stated, but on the plans it seems to indicate a speedway track of 320 metres.

• Like 1

It's time all stadium owners, whatever the sport, worked together to keep this slimey vermin Osborne well away. Swindon's new stadium already built & in storage my arse.

20 minutes ago, Liontamer said:

It's time all stadium owners, whatever the sport, worked together to keep this slimey vermin Osborne well away. Swindon's new stadium already built & in storage my arse.

...we had to put up with him at Cowley back during the middle seventies when thankfully the stadium was saved from development after his departure.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, cityrebel said:

The new Swindon proposals sound ideal, if they happen.

They sound far from ideal to me. The close proximity of housing being only one of them and considering when the farewell meeting was held it hardly inspires confidence.

On 2/7/2018 at 2:38 PM, cityrebel said:

Why didn't stadia UK build two new grandstands at smallmead, like what is being planned at Swindon.

Why would they invest in a stadium (Smallmead) with such a short lease remaining?

24 minutes ago, Hot Shoe said:

Why would they invest in a stadium (Smallmead) with such a short lease remaining?

I believe the lease was shortened because they never invested in the stadium.