British Speedway Forum

...the same thing constantly occurred in Sandy Lane (Oxford) whereby newbies would move in and then complain about the speedway and greyhounds.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...the same thing constantly occurred in Sandy Lane (Oxford) whereby newbies would move in and then complain about the speedway and greyhounds.

There has been complaints I've seen in the Echo about Poole in the past and considering we've been going since 1948 you should of thought of that when moving in.

• Like 1

I've said before when I moved into my house opposite a school I knew I would have cars and people in the street for about 15 minutes in a morning and afternoon but it would be quiet at other times especially weekends and evenings plus it's a newish school so very unlikely anything else will be built there in my lifetime.I would never complain to the school about it because I knew what would happen. You get idiots parking illegally and I even had one park on my drive because he thought no one was in!!!!! He hasn't done it since. Lol. You have to weigh things up when you move somewhere

• Like 2

11 hours ago, packerman said:

It's sad really when you consider that they knew what was there when they were purchasing the place isn't it!

Well it is, but sadly thats the sociaty we live in..

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

There you go, sadly it only takes one..

I see the objections are from the developer who feels that they will have issues selling more houses next to the stadium.  The comments about the removal of  the "so called buffer" of light industrial units to act as a noise suppressor is a strange argument as a request for a change to build more houses instead of the original proposed units was made over a year ago by,  the developer or Stadia UK. 

The issue of any new or use of the current stadium will be a good point to bring up at the fans forum

Edited by A ORLOV

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

I see the objections are from the developer who feels that they will have issues selling more houses next to the stadium.  The comments about the removal of  the "so called buffer" of light industrial units to act as a noise suppressor is a strange argument as a request for a change to build more houses instead of the original proposed units was made over a year ago by,  I believe,  the developer. 

The issue of any new or use of the current stadium will be a good point to bring up at the fans forum

Is there a link to these objections anywhere? I've always been relatively positive about this happening, but once the developers start objecting then the slope gets more slippery. At the moment, literature online makes it clear that the stadium is right next door and lists it as a local amenity.

One thing, I think, that Swindon have in their favour over clubs like Reading and Coventry is an enthusiastic and determined promotion, plus a lot of backing from the local government. If this does fall through I feel that there will, eventually, be another track built somewhere. I do wonder if they shouldn't be looking at options down that route anyway just in case.

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Is there a link to these objections anywhere? I've always been relatively positive about this happening, but once the developers start objecting then the slope gets more slippery. At the moment, literature online makes it clear that the stadium is right next door and lists it as a local amenity.

One thing, I think, that Swindon have in their favour over clubs like Reading and Coventry is an enthusiastic and determined promotion, plus a lot of backing from the local government. If this does fall through I feel that there will, eventually, be another track built somewhere. I do wonder if they shouldn't be looking at options down that route anyway just in case.

A few posts back on this page is the link to the planning details etc where the objections are. 

27 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

A few posts back on this page is the link to the planning details etc where the objections are. 

Thanks. Yes, I think this is going to cause a major problem.

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/files/DE47D3810B3EB1575DE713CC93B288A5/pdf/S_RES_18_0027-BARRATT_HOMES-653036.pdf

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I really don’t think we’ve ever been on the slope. IMO we’ve been in the mire since day one.

I’ve got the feeling that Osbourne, the developers and the council have been in cahoots all along.

Complaints about a stadium already there when you move to the area can/should be dismissed easily. Buying a property with the good faith that the stadium will be moved and separated from the houses accordingly, though, only for those plans to change and the stadium to stay exactly where it is now, adds much more weight to the objections.

I can’t really see where you could locate a new track where someone isn’t going to object.

16 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Does anyone remember the sales slogan (strapline) for the film "he Sting" was "The con is on". Just a random thought............honestly!

I wonder if it's worth going to a show home there, ask to look round then complain that there's a motor sport stadium on the doorstep and see whether you get told "Don't worry, it won't be around much longer". 

The original poster for the 1973 film "The Sting" reads: "...all it takes is a little Confidence." 

Image result for the sting 1973 movie poster

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

I can only hope that the Swindon Speedway Promotion have alternative plans for a new stadium site as I fear that the stadium as it is now is doomed. Having read the objections raised by Barrett Homes, it is clear that their solicitors have done their homework. They have not only raised objection to the speedway but also to the greyhound racing and car parking & noise emanating from all 3 due to the revised plans. They have made it clear that if the Borough Council do not take steps to alleviate these problems, that both present residents & future residents will have cause to take action against the stadium. It is my opinion that Stadium UK knew what they were doing all along. They changed the stadium location allegedly due to drainage problems, yet they still intend to build houses where the stadium was going to be re-located to. Does new housing not need drainage? Ask Torquay United FC supporters what they think of Stadium UK. They have plans to redevelop that ground since buying the football club & build houses on the site & move the football elsewhere. Unluckily for them though the local authority own the freehold of the ground & are at present refusing their attempt. 

• Like 3

On 10/02/2018 at 11:46 AM, Tsunami said:

WOW. Saying that Swindon fans should support their speedway and you say it's rubbish. :D BTW. I would look up again the meaning of spurious.

More crap from you. This plan has more chance of working than the others beforehand, so the best that Swindon fans can do is embrace it whilst keeping due diligence if there is any changes.

I now consider this app. doubly spurious

1 hour ago, JOS50 said:

I now consider this app. doubly spurious

I can now see why you rarely post, and have a mania for 'like'ing' others. :D