British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Another article on Torquay from the BBC who actually managed to interview Clarke Osborne - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43814387

Has a brief mention of both Reading and Swindon with Osborne quoted as saying " that both speedway stadium issues were down to elements beyond his control "

...now that doesn't surprise me! Wouldn't trust him as far as one could throw him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Another article on Torquay from the BBC who actually managed to interview Clarke Osborne - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43814387

Has a brief mention of both Reading and Swindon with Osborne quoted as saying " that both speedway stadium issues were down to elements beyond his control "

Yea he will staying at Torquay intill his houses are built on the football ground ...and then of  course the new stadium won't be built due to elements beyond his control ..the same plot and outcome every time ...he always get's away with it you just wonder how people are in his back pocket ...will anyone ever take him to task and stop him ?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, a4poster said:

Not to mention Eastville, former home of the Bristol Bulldogs and Bristol Rovers.

This makes interesting reading:

http://torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=8858

...or Cowley Stadium in 1975/76!

I visit Devon frequently and the plight of Torquay United obviously gets a great deal of media coverage there. For those who don't follow the lower reaches of football Osborne runs that unfortunate football club which has during most of its existence played in the bottom tier of the Football League. For the first time in its modern history they are on the brink of relegation to their lowest status, National League South, two tiers below their traditional level in the Football Lleague.

All kinds of promises have been made which will sound familiar to speedway supporters. There's the purchase or lease of a stadium in a prime development area, the running-down of the venue amidst talk of a shiny new replacement stadium. Recently his business has taken back control of the pub adjoining the ground. The newspaper report refers to Stadia UK's 'record in running leisure facilities'. Funny, to the outsider it would seem their principal activity, rather like the GRA is to groom stadia for highly lucrative redevelopment.

One of the promises is to sort out the Gulls' training ground, which apparently is literally bogged down by poor drainage, again a familiar concept to those familiar with the tattier end of the Abbey Stadium car park, once also a planned site for development.The football club itself is supposed to move from residential Plainmoor to a new site further out of town.

People are getting a touch suspicious in Torbay. In some ways I'd respect them if Stadia UK came out and admitted that they simply want to redevelop stadia and stop putting up smokescreens. Hopefully Torquay United will prove to be a step too far. Despite their status football matters to communities, and not just the local market and will get noticed well, outside their area in a way that speedway has never been able to. 

I suspect that serious journalists, and not from the sports desk,  will be taking an interest in the business as the situation in Torbay worsens. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 3

I live within a 10 minute level walk to Torquay United. I warned my friends about Osborne right from the off. There is a very strong element that want only one thing....Osborne out!

There has been talk about a takeover from the Truro City owner. Sooner the better. The council are being very objective to Osbornes plans. Thankfully, they can see straight through him.

The suggested site for a new ground is pure pie in the sky. The ground there is swampy and will never drain properly.

• Like 2

On 21/04/2018 at 12:01 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

I visit Devon frequently and the plight of Torquay United obviously gets a great deal of media coverage there. For those who don't follow the lower reaches of football Osborne runs that unfortunate football club which has during most of its existence played in the bottom tier of the Football League. For the first time in its modern history they are on the brink of relegation to their lowest status, National League South, two tiers below their traditional level in the Football Lleague.

All kinds of promises have been made which will sound familiar to speedway supporters. There's the purchase or lease of a stadium in a prime development area, the running-down of the venue amidst talk of a shiny new replacement stadium. Recently his business has taken back control of the pub adjoining the ground. The newspaper report refers to Stadia UK's 'record in running leisure facilities'. Funny, to the outsider it would seem their principal activity, rather like the GRA is to groom stadia for highly lucrative redevelopment.

One of the promises is to sort out the Gulls' training ground, which apparently is literally bogged down by poor drainage, again a familiar concept to those familiar with the tattier end of the Abbey Stadium car park, once also a planned site for development.The football club itself is supposed to move from residential Plainmoor to a new site further out of town.

People are getting a touch suspicious in Torbay. In some ways I'd respect them if Stadia UK came out and admitted that they simply want to redevelop stadia and stop putting up smokescreens. Hopefully Torquay United will prove to be a step too far. Despite their status football matters to communities, and not just the local market and will get noticed well, outside their area in a way that speedway has never been able to. 

I suspect that serious journalists, and not from the sports desk,  will be taking an interest in the business as the situation in Torbay worsens. 

No longer on the brink. They are relegated.

6 hours ago, StevePark said:

No longer on the brink. They are relegated.

I wrote it on the morning of the decisive match. There was only a slim mathematical possibility but if I'd said they were already down the usual suspects would have hijacked the thread. 

The Gulls' supporters now face more balls in the media than they ever saw on the pitch.....

25 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Will the flat pack speedway stadium convert to football stadium?

Only on Saturday afternoons at 3 o'clock 

could someone let me know when Rossitor is officially going to open the new stadium at Swindon please?

1 hour ago, Odds On said:

could someone let me know when Rossitor is officially going to open the new stadium at Swindon please?

In a "far off future" a long way away from The Abbey. Maybe. Why disturb a happy suburb of new homes, for a few hundred followers of a semi-defunct sport ( OK let's be kind,  a sport in decline )?