British Speedway Forum

On 10/12/2018 at 6:25 PM, ch958 said:

They'll play the long game, like the Oxford situation. The land isn't going to depreciate in value and if the stadium lies derelict the locals will kick off, support a planning app and thats that. Surely the Swindon management must know in their heart of hearts

Just like Coventry.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 3:07 PM, JOS50 said:

Kingsdown Wine Vaults back running as a music venue.

A long winter ahead. Will the Abbey look any different come March April 2019. A new shaped track looks on the cards but will the pre fab stadium be in place. . Opted for various reasons to miss the entire 2018 season after 44 years following the sport main reason for my absence..  lack of promotion within sport.lack of continuity within the league.hottesst summer on record and now scrambling to complete the season....

Lee Kilby has said the track is marked out and being worked on!Fantastic news.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Photos? ;)

6 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Probably the footings of a house :angry:

• Haha 4

My honest belief is the Robins faithful are going to be very disappointed. 

As much as I am an Oxford fan.

I feel for them.

The sport unless it gets one hell of a shake up is dead on its feet in this country

• Like 1

Copied and pasted my own post from the Swindon 2019 thread as they are busy arguing about asset ownership:  any sign of the big Lego trucks yet ?  Not being sarcy by the way, failing that anyone nearby able to take some pics of the pegged-out new track shape.  When Hull returend in 1995 I bunked off college several times to have a look, watched the marking out of the track shape, removing turf, etc  and <<family forum mode: on>> forgot my flipping, blinking camera each and every single blooming time.  Still passed my City & Guilds and enjoyed 11 years of speedway so it was (mostly) ok....

Just like the Hammers have moved from Lakeside to Rye House, maybe the Robins will have to move from Swindon to Oxford one day ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Copied and pasted my own post from the Swindon 2019 thread as they are busy arguing about asset ownership:  any sign of the big Lego trucks yet ?  Not being sarcy by the way, failing that anyone nearby able to take some pics of the pegged-out new track shape.  When Hull returend in 1995 I bunked off college several times to have a look, watched the marking out of the track shape, removing turf, etc  and <<family forum mode: on>> forgot my flipping, blinking camera each and every single blooming time.  Still passed my City & Guilds and enjoyed 11 years of speedway so it was (mostly) ok....

Planning permission for demolishing of the old stadium and construction of the new one has yet to be granted.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Planning permission for demolishing of the old stadium and construction of the new one has yet to be granted.

And the restaurant has Xmas bookings for their greyhound meetings up till the 22nd of December 

Thanks, so it's as you were then....

On 11/4/2018 at 11:46 AM, Bavarian said:

Just like the Hammers have moved from Lakeside to Rye House, maybe the Robins will have to move from Swindon to Oxford one day ?

That of course was similar to that plan of Gaming International (Stadia UK) initially - move Dogs/Speedway from Blunsdon to the new Racino in Reading.  

I actually drove round the land which Reading Council had offered GI/Stadia today.  Warehouses - made me think what it could have been if GI/Stadia had kept their word.   

They of course didn’t and never have when it comes to any stadium construction / replacement.   

• Like 5

Tues. 13 Nov. the plans go before SBC planning committee, details viewable via Swindon council website, 18 pages on PDF.

Squeaky bum time for the stadium owners:

2 It is recommended that the section 106 agreement should include the following matters;

a) No additional housing is to be developed until the new stadium is operational and substantially complete. (The definition of operational and substantial completion are to be agreed.)

I wonder how they are going to play out the above clause if permission is granted next week?

I wonder how the homeowners will react if the stadium remains in its present location. So much uncertainty attached to the whole project.