British Speedway Forum

This makes grim reading  [apologies if this link has already been quoted]

or am I miss interrupting what’s been written on the link? I just can't see speedway happening at Swindon.

It’s gone from their farewell meeting [4 years ago was it?] with a definite new stadium the following season, to midway through the following season, to next season, to resubmitting plans, remarking a new track in the present arena to this lovely quote from the article to "if it is rebuilt"!

I read somewhere the Oxford main grandstand is a bad state of disrepair so unless someone with mega money steps in at Sandy Lane that'll be a no go.

I did here the reason why John Cook moved swiftly into Rye was there were other interested parties in going in there, make of that what you may!

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17207636.changes-to-swindons-abbey-stadium-plans-to-be-decided/

1 hour ago, Paul said:

This makes grim reading  [apologies if this link has already been quoted]

or am I miss interrupting what’s been written on the link? I just can't see speedway happening at Swindon.

It’s gone from their farewell meeting [4 years ago was it?] with a definite new stadium the following season, to midway through the following season, to next season, to resubmitting plans, remarking a new track in the present arena to this lovely quote from the article to "if it is rebuilt"!

I read somewhere the Oxford main grandstand is a bad state of disrepair so unless someone with mega money steps in at Sandy Lane that'll be a no go.

I did here the reason why John Cook moved swiftly into Rye was there were other interested parties in going in there, make of that what you may!

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17207636.changes-to-swindons-abbey-stadium-plans-to-be-decided/

Last time I called in at Cowley earlier this year it was looking very sorry for itself. Personally, despite all the good intentions, I can't see speedway returning there...which is very sad as I enjoyed 32 years following  the 'Rebels' and 'Cheetahs' and it holds so many great memories!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

There is a Council Planning meeting this week where the Stadium changes are being voted on.
The main objections listed so far seem to be from half a dozen people, mainly from the Bristol area, re an argument against dog racing in general and not anything to do with Speedway, but without a dog track and dog racing it is unlikely there would be any speedway .

I am not sure if the Councillors will take much note of this as it is obvious that all the objections are in the same format and are from an anti greyhound racing group that no doubt object to any greyhound racing anywhere as a matter of course.   

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 8:40 PM, steve roberts said:

I enjoyed 32 years following  the 'Rebels' and 'Cheetahs' and it holds so many great memories!

I notice you don't remember the 'Silver Machine'. :D

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The first year (2003) and a wee bit! Awful 'nickname!'

5 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There's many on this forum who slagged Waggy off.

Strangely lots of his supposedly daft ideas now seem to have been taken on board. 

Everybody can have a dig about the Silver Machine name. Which I did think sucked on the big one if I'm honest. and his problems paying riders at the end of his tenure. 

But he tried his best to gain publicity and advertise the team. Strangely having been a member on this forum for donkeys years, I seem to think lack of promotion or even attempting something new to try and promote a team is one of the biggest gripes I read about.

But back on topic IMO Swindon if the stadium ever does get rebuilt will probably only get a couple of seasons before the inevitable happens. 

Virtually nowhere to park and houses skirting the perimeter. It's got Nimbyism written all over it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Strangely lots of his supposedly daft ideas now seem to have been taken on board. 

Everybody can have a dig about the Silver Machine name. Which I did think sucked on the big one if I'm honest. and his problems paying riders at the end of his tenure. 

But he tried his best to gain publicity and advertise the team. Strangely having been a member on this forum for donkeys years, I seem to think lack of promotion or even attempting something new to try and promote a team is one of the biggest gripes I read about.

But back on topic IMO Swindon if the stadium ever does get rebuilt will probably only get a couple of seasons before the inevitable happens. 

Virtually nowhere to park and houses skirting the perimeter. It's got Nimbyism written all over it.

I actually did some promotional work on behalf of Nigel Wagstaff at some local schools...however I had been promised a bike to display but nothing materialised.

What was odd was that the outgoing promotion (Steve and Vanessa Purchase) apparently 'owned' the 'Cheetahs'  nickmane and it wasn't part of the deal when Waggy took over hence the adoption of 'The Silver Machine'. All very complicated!

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Not really sure what ideas have been taken on board. 

I suppose he did try to modernise the presentation a bit, but it was typical speedway - done in a two-bob and tacky way. Unfortunately, I don't think the finances ended-up matching the ambition, and the random cancellations and ever changing team really did nothing to encourage fans to come - new or existing.

He was really the beginning of the end at Oxford although it wouldn't be fair to put the blame at his door.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Not really sure what ideas have been taken on board. 

I suppose he did try to modernise the presentation a bit, but it was typical speedway - done in a two-bob and tacky way. Unfortunately, I don't think the finances ended-up matching the ambition, and the random cancellations and ever changing team really did nothing to encourage fans to come - new or existing.

He was really the beginning of the end at Oxford although it wouldn't be fair to put the blame at his door.

Have yo agree that the constantly changing team did no favours in my opinion...the team selection seemed to change every week and/or month.

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I actually did some promotional work on behalf of Nigel Wagstaff at some local schools...however I had been promised a bike to display but nothing materialised.

What was odd was that the outgoing promotion (Steve and Vanessa Purchase) apparently 'owned' the 'Cheetahs'  nickmane and it wasn't part of the deal when Waggy took over hence the adoption of 'The Silver Machine'. All very complicated!

I remember him saying at a fans forum that he couldn't use the Cheetahs name. Pretty sure he also said that he thought it could be thought of as Cheaters the idea of which he didn't like. 

Regarding team changes we were pretty much decimated by injuries.

• Like 1

Just now, Triple.H. said:

I remember him saying at a fans forum that he couldn't use the Cheetahs name. Pretty sure he also said that he thought it could be thought of as Cheaters the idea of which he didn't like. 

Regarding team changes we were pretty much decimated by injuries.

Remember when at Ipswich (1980's) the programme front cover had Oxford down as 'Cheaters'...would prefer to think that it was a printer's error and not a wicked comment made by the Ipswich promotion at the time! I recall that Bernard Crapper had a good rapport with the incoming Witches promoter Chris Shears.

BREAKING NEWS 

Planning permission for new stadium granted with no more new homes to be built until it’s finished

Have a lovely evening folks!

• Like 8

Great news for British Speedway as a whole

Why is it good news ? they just won't build it ..I remember the last great news that stadium had been built as was ready to be moved down here ..The biggest laugh was that  there was someone gloating  on the Swindon facebook group  saying he told people that the stadium would be built .

When will people ever learn ?