British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, orion said:

Why is it good news ? they just won't build it ..I remember the last great news that stadium had been built as was ready to be moved down here ..The biggest laugh was that  there was someone gloating  on the Swindon facebook group  saying he told people that the stadium would be built .

When will people ever learn ?

You may well be right but it is now stated, confirmed, signed and sealed that no more homes can be built until stadium completion, rather than just the start of stadium construction. Just a little bit more solid foundation that the Robin will have a home going forward.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

You may well be right but it is now stated, confirmed, signed and sealed that no more homes can be built until stadium completion, rather than just the start of stadium construction. Just a little bit more solid foundation that the Robin will have a home going forward.

it was sign and sealed that only a certain amount houses could be built at the start intill the stadium was built ...Was that kept to ? this is  about the 15th time in the last 4 years when we had so called positive news about moving forward and every time it never happens .

When it's  built then cheer but  intill then don't go over board about a company who  have never before   kept any promises or built any stadiums . I find it amazing there are  still people out there who think Osbourne clark and co will build it .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Definitely a positive step - particularly the bit about no new houses.

My guess is we'll be riding on the shorter track in the current stadium for a while yet before any new stadium gets built. Hopefully the "no houses" clause will, eventually, mean it will all get built.

Not a certainty yet, but at least there is no excuse not to build it.

• Like 1

I seriously wish Swindon luck (and that comes from a 'Cheethsh's fan!) on what has been a very long drawn out affair with promises and half promises. Speedway can ill afford to lose tracks and I only wish that there was more postive moves down at Cowley as welll as Brandon.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

Another hurdle over. So 4  months till April fools day. Remember the Belle vue farce laying a track so close too speedway season.i for one  strongly believe put licence on ice  for a year to get stadium built and in prestige  condition not that I believe speedway has  a long term future anyway nor stadium being built. Both dogs and speedway  are in decline so maybe housing is a more practical solution.. I will believe the rebuild when I see pictures or evidence of contractors starting work 

absolutely devastating news for osbourne not what he wanted to hear at all, work on that track needs to start today, the new corner will need time to bed in 

• Like 1

Both corners to be brought in and greyhound track too. Greyhounds .uk believe have meetings too Christmas. So tick tick. Tick tock .  

Interesting to see the quote from the Chairman of the Planning Committee here: https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17221029.swindon-speedway-stadium-and-dog-track-plan-in-swindon-is-approved/

Gaming International didn't even turn up.

He said: “It’s been incredibly frustrating trying to get this stadium delivered.

“I don’t want to see another house constructed on the site until Gaming International deliver a new speedway stadium that is good for Swindon.

“It shows the esteem the developer shows this committee that they can’t be bothered to turn up tonight - it’s disgusting frankly.

He added: "I don’t really trust them not to build more houses and then not deliver the stadium and just sod off, basically. We need to put a line in the sand because the developer is still in breach of the previous section 106 agreement. We should say what enforcement we’re going to bring.”

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Interesting to see the quote from the Chairman of the Planning Committee here: https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17221029.swindon-speedway-stadium-and-dog-track-plan-in-swindon-is-approved/

Gaming International didn't even turn up.

He said: “It’s been incredibly frustrating trying to get this stadium delivered.

“I don’t want to see another house constructed on the site until Gaming International deliver a new speedway stadium that is good for Swindon.

“It shows the esteem the developer shows this committee that they can’t be bothered to turn up tonight - it’s disgusting frankly.

He added: "I don’t really trust them not to build more houses and then not deliver the stadium and just sod off, basically. We need to put a line in the sand because the developer is still in breach of the previous section 106 agreement. We should say what enforcement we’re going to bring.”

That says it all really. A shocking indictment of Osbourne and his cohorts. Can the council legally force them to build the new stadium, or can the developers just walk away.

There will probably be some loophole around the definition of starting the build on any more news homes

Eg If the preparation of the groundwork has started then to complete that home isnt starting to build anymore just completing those in progress or something similar

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Just for clarification, are Gaming International the housing developers or just the Stadium owners?! Or both?! Confused.com?!

Edited by Skidder1

And if work to install "just" replacement track with associated infrastructure (not the spectator facilities side of it) were to begin, who is paying for it and responsible for carrying it out?

31 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just for clarification, are Gaming International the housing developers or just the Stadium owners?! Or both?! Confused.com?!

Stadium owners

34 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

GI own the stadium and land around it.  They sell off chunks of the land to developers to build on.

Edited by A ORLOV

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

There will probably be some loophole around the definition of starting the build on any more news homes

Eg If the preparation of the groundwork has started then to complete that home isnt starting to build anymore just completing those in progress or something similar

Para 54:

a) No additional housing is to be developed until the new stadium is operational and
substantially complete. (Definition of operational and substantial completion to be agreed.)

And given that the applicants have ignored all previous section 106 agreements who could imagine that there will be any problems agreeing these definitions?

• Like 1