British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I doubt it, farces occur in speedway on a weekly basis. That one has been swept well under the carpet.

But it wasn't a farce at the time, was it.

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Maybe not, but it soon felt like one the following season to those of us that paid to see the big 'farewell'

21 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Maybe not, but it soon felt like one the following season to those of us that paid to see the big 'farewell'

Yes, but not a farce created by speedway which is what you seem to imply. How about a mention for StadiaUK. 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

That's a matter of opinion ..a lot of people at the time thought it  was ..and in time they  were shown to be correct 

Edited by orion
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, orion said:

That's a matter of opinion ..a lot of people at the time thought it  was ..and in time they  were shown to be correct 

The whole situation at Swindon has been a farce and a badly handled Public Relations exercise...but what do you expect when Clark Osborne is involved.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

The whole situation at Swindon has been a farce and a badly handled Public Relations exercise...but what do you expect when Clark Osborne is involved.

Correct hence why me and many others never went to the meeting .Of course Terry Russell made a killing out of  the meeting 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, orion said:

And as the tail-lights of the last vehicle to leave the stadium carpark disappeared into the darkness after the meeting we had the announcement that it wasn't going to be a farewell after all.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like the very many I'm watching developments Blundsen-way with great interest as there are implications which could affect other tracks, present and possibly future.  Going back to the televised meeting when it was very dusty, apologies if it's already been addressed, were there any comments or complaints from local residents, were they affected by the dust at all?  Just wondered, Hull sometimes got complaints off people who were (apparently) hit by stones from 1 1/2 miles away, even when the team were not riding at home (!)....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling, sigh

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Like the very many I'm watching developments Blundsen-way with great interest as there are implications which could affect other tracks, present and possibly future.  Going back to the televised meeting when it was very dusty, apologies if it's already been addressed, were there any comments or complaints from local residents, were they affected by the dust at all?  Just wondered, Hull sometimes got complaints off people who were (apparently) hit by stones from 1 1/2 miles away, even when the team were not riding at home (!)....

I once got hit hit by a flying piece of shale, when watching speedway on the World of Sport! I didn't both to complain though and it was the 1st April!  

• Haha 1

News being released tomorrow, now will it be when they are starting on the track or more bs

• Like 1

Bit of both:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17377892.swindon-robins-chairman-terry-russell-plans-to-start-work-on-improved-abbey-stadium-race-track-layout-next-month/?fbclid=IwAR3uizI8HG0iYr6vtKHJvPqEKDEuBoKA5qsXoEEvVyXw5VELs4LpjlPNTyY

This bit frightens me:

The Robins chief was instrumental in the preparation of the racing surface leading up to the first five British Speedway Grand Prixs held at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

Work in the Welsh capital to construct a temporary speedway track takes between four to five days.

And Russell insists a timeframe similar to what is used at Cardiff will be applied when updating the Robins’ current surface.

I'm not track expert, but I'm pretty sure Cardiff is only used for a single meeting. I'm not sure that you can translate their construction approach and use it for a track which is going to me used every week.

• Like 2

So the management state the track change will take place next month and they can change it in about a week.  Yet again the timescale is hopeful thinking when the drainage and track lighting etc have to be moved.  What could be a major issue is that the main drainage for most of the track is under the present bend one, and this drainage has often caused problems.  The drainage pipe used to go under the dog track and out under the car park and often got blocked up, which is why in addition to the water running off the dog track bend one was often waterlogged or on occasions a lake.  This bend is being moved to allow the track to be shortened so it is likely a new drainage system will have to be installed as well,  so the job of altering the track, moving the lighting and fence is not as simple as laying the track at Cardiff. 

It is good that they are hoping to do this in Feb and I just hope they do not find another excuse to delay the work.   

"The Robins chief was instrumental in the preparation of the racing surface leading up to the first five British Speedway Grand Prixs held at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff."

... And who remembers what death traps they were!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

So the management state the track change will take place next month and they can change it in about a week.  Yet again the timescale is hopeful thinking when the drainage and track lighting etc have to be moved.  What could be a major issue is that the main drainage for most of the track is under the present bend one, and this drainage has often caused problems.  The drainage pipe used to go under the dog track and out under the car park and often got blocked up, which is why in addition to the water running off the dog track bend one was often waterlogged or on occasions a lake.  This bend is being moved to allow the track to be shortened so it is likely a new drainage system will have to be installed as well,  so the job of altering the track, moving the lighting and fence is not as simple as laying the track at Cardiff. 

It is good that they are hoping to do this in Feb and I just hope they do not find another excuse to delay the work.   

Let's hope for a snow/ice free February. As well as the track to be pulled back, it will be be necessary to also reinstall the fence posts and overlaying them with the wire fencing and the tensioning wires, as well of course the track lighting. It's not that short a job as made out. I've moved a fence out to accommodate the new air fence to maintain riding lines, and it took my team several weeks and we weren't touching the actual track surface.  

3 hours ago, iainb said:

"The Robins chief was instrumental in the preparation of the racing surface leading up to the first five British Speedway Grand Prixs held at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff."

... And who remembers what death traps they were!

It was probably Ronnie, not Terry.

• Like 1