British Speedway Forum

On 2/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, racers and royals said:

Pretty sure Andy Galvin did.

He did and Andy used to come out to the AGM's abroad with Dave Pavitt for a few days away. Andy was like a son to Terry. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, The Doctor... said:

Yeh, Sabre was/is him, Kent Sweepers was just the sponsors i think.

Anyway, according to companies house, he's based in Gravesend.  Certainly a fair trek, but not 200 miles by any  means.

Lived in Shorne (not a million miles from Gravesend) but moved from there late 90’s to a place about a 15 minute drive away 

Could have moved again obviously 

Edited by TRM

On 1/27/2019 at 11:30 AM, steve roberts said:

I seem to recall that Romford's track was laid within a week (?) however the Swindon debacle seems to go and on!

Romford Speedway......track cut out and laid in nine days. Maurice Morley with the help of Alan Cowland, Colin Clark and Johnny Guilfoyle did an amazing job. Just a shame one man who lived in Willow Street shut it down. But with a brick wall as a safety fence, perhaps had a mesh or wooden fence needed to be erected it may have taken longer.

Shameless plug, Romford Speedway Reunion 31st May 2019, more details at https://www.facebook.com/romford.speedway

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Paul said:

Romford Speedway......track cut out and laid in nine days. Maurice Morley with the help of Alan Cowland, Colin Clark and Johnny Guilfoyle did an amazing job. Just a shame one man who lived in Willow Street shut it down. But with a brick wall as a safety fence, perhaps had a mesh or wooden fence needed to be erected it may have taken longer.

Shameless plug, Romford Speedway Reunion 31st May 2019, more details at https://www.facebook.com/romford.speedway

From my ever fading memory paul, Romford did have a mesh fence on the home straight. 

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

From my ever fading memory paul, Romford did have a mesh fence on the home straight. 

Nothing wrong with your memory, Romford did have a mesh fence on the home straight.

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

There indeed was a mesh fence along the home straight. If my memory serves me correctly Tony the mesh fence was attached to a much smaller wall than ran along the home straight. The reason for the smaller wall was the football dugouts were along the home straight in front of the main grandstand. Before the new grandstand was constructed the higher concrete wall did go all the way around, but was demolished on the home straight when the new stand was constructed. The other area that had a bit of meshing of course was the pit gate on the first bend.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

There indeed was a mesh fence along the home straight. If my memory serves me correctly Tony the mesh fence was attached to a much smaller wall than ran along the home straight. The reason for the smaller wall was the football dugouts were along the home straight in front of the main grandstand. Before the new grandstand was constructed the higher concrete wall did go all the way around, but was demolished on the home straight when the new stand was constructed. The other area that had a bit of meshing of course was the pit gate on the first bend.

Thanks for the info paul. You can't beat a good history lesson. I might see you next sunday, i haven't decided yet.

Lovely weather for getting them track alterations done

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iainb said:

Lovely weather for getting them track alterations done

Too hot.... funnily enough I noticed on swindon greyhound fb. Bookings being taken  for restaurant in March... last years press day.. new track dimensions marked in blue.. this year its progressed too pegs so it's getting there. What a complete  joke. Stadium progress nil.track alterations s nil...only positive is Lee kilby being made co promoter but that doesent change sad facts ...speedway  can hardly be taken seriously any more. 

All this is not the fault of Speedway, Swindon Speedway and Terry Russell in particular.

They have been continuing their business of running the club according to information given them by the stadium. Terry had another meeting with the stadium 10 days ago.

He ran a farewell meeting to the Abbey in accordance with the information provided by the stadium.

The final meeting on the current track last season was described so in accordance with the information provided by the stadium.

Swindon have a track (new or old!), they have the 2017 World Champion returning and a damn good team with young and enthusiastic input from a new co-promoter, the son of a true club legend.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

All this is not the fault of Speedway, Swindon Speedway and Terry Russell in particular.

They have been continuing their business of running the club according to information given them by the stadium. Terry had another meeting with the stadium 10 days ago.

He ran a farewell meeting to the Abbey in accordance with the information provided by the stadium.

The final meeting on the current track last season was described so in accordance with the information provided by the stadium.

Swindon have a track (new or old!), they have the 2017 World Champion returning and a damn good team with young and enthusiastic input from a new co-promoter, the son of a true club legend.

Stadium may not be swindon speedway fault. The track though was quoted in the SWINDON ADVERTISER be started in February. 3days left I know but I don't envisage it started and will predict now the track will remain as it is . . AT NO TIME DID I mention swindon speedway  who I believe have a good side but need to deliver away from home. There are quite a few teams who  have a strong 1_7. . 

When nothing happens with the track, is what remains of the stadium fit for the public to be admitted. I assume there must be some sort of licence from the council required.