British Speedway Forum

Presumably there is no council order for the stadium owners to put up a sound barrier where track alterations are to be made?

If not then they can start the season as things are and avoid costly alterations.

I ve not seen it personally so can only judge by what I read and see on TV. But the condition of the track has not been great in recent times, so surely they'd move heaven and earth to at least crack on with that bit. Get the track right and no matter how run down the stadia the die hards at least will turn up.

I think what frustrates many people is the announcements of dates when certain things will start by, and then that date comes and goes and no new announcement explaining the delay comes. Then a few months later we get another announcement saying something will happen and the cycle starts again. It's very much a speedway thing to keep the customers in the dark. I cant believe the club doesn't care enough to keep its fans fully upto date, so it makes me wonder if there is some legal matter happening which restricts their ability to comment too much until the matter is settled?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I ve not seen it personally so can only judge by what I read and see on TV. But the condition of the track has not been great in recent times, so surely they'd move heaven and earth to at least crack on with that bit. Get the track right and no matter how run down the stadia the die hards at least will turn up.

I think what frustrates many people is the announcements of dates when certain things will start by, and then that date comes and goes and no new announcement explaining the delay comes. Then a few months later we get another announcement saying something will happen and the cycle starts again. It's very much a speedway thing to keep the customers in the dark. I cant believe the club doesn't care enough to keep its fans fully upto date, so it makes me wonder if there is some legal matter happening which restricts their ability to comment too much until the matter is settled?

I would have thought they are very much dependant on the actions of the developer, in conjunction with the council. The developer I think will hand over the area to be altered as and when it suits him , so I wouldn't blame the Speedway bosses. They probably don't want to rock the boat at the moment.

19 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I don't feel it's a case of not caring about their fans, I think the point has been answered by the earlier part of your post. As a Club they have been given information by the owners/developers and have passed that information on. When that information proves to be incorrect then it has reflected on the Club. They find themselves in a position where any information put out is either disbelieved off the bat, or criticised further down the line for proving false.

In turn, they have not given any recent updates other than they intend for the track work to be done ready for 2019. Assuming this is still needs to be agreed within the development, we'll see if that happens or not.

Having seen a little movement on site (by little I do mean little) and heard a couple of whispers I am hopeful that at least the track work will commence and be ready for the opening of this season. There isn't much breathing space left for further delay and worst case, we'll turn up in April ready to watch on the existing track.

I'm betting there are some Rockets, Hammers & Comets fans (along with others) who would like to be in a similar position

Edited by Reliant Robin
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Reliant Robin said:

I'm betting there are some Rockets, Hammers & Comets fans (along with others) who would like to be in a similar position

Your whole post is spot on, but the final bit so sadly the truest. :(

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Reliant Robin said:

I don't feel it's a case of not caring about their fans, I think the point has been answered by the earlier part of your post. As a Club they have been given information by the owners/developers and have passed that information on. When that information proves to be incorrect then it has reflected on the Club. They find themselves in a position where any information put out is either disbelieved off the bat, or criticised further down the line for proving false.

In turn, they have not given any recent updates other than they intend for the track work to be done ready for 2019. Assuming this is still needs to be agreed within the development, we'll see if that happens or not.

Having seen a little movement on site (by little I do mean little) and heard a couple of whispers I am hopeful that at least the track work will commence and be ready for the opening of this season. There isn't much breathing space left for further delay and worst case, we'll turn up in April ready to watch on the existing track.

The problem with the club has been the attitude to anyone who the  dare question the stadium not being built ...Most Speedway fans not just Swindon fans have given little chance of the stadium being built given that Osbourne Clark has failed to build one about five times before and thou's fans have been meet  with your and  no fan of Swindon or why do question it as we are better off than teams that have closed down etc etc 

In the end  there comes a time when the club has distance itself from statements like there is a metal stadium ready being  built and ready to move down to Swindon asap even if  they have been told that . The club should just  wait to something happens rather than keep passing on info that the  public no longer believes anymore .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Any team, whatever the lineup, needs a stadium and a track to race on. No-one knows if that is the case for the Robins yet. Is it really going to be the same old tired track in the same old worn out stadium? And for how much longer? There are only a handful of weeks to the start of the season.

I would imagine it will be 'as you were,' like it has been since the last ever meeting at the Abbey all those years ago!.

31 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I would imagine it will be 'as you were,' like it has been since the last ever meeting at the Abbey all those years ago!.

In terms of Stadium, I reckon you're correct. In terms of track, not from what I'm hearing.

• Like 1

On the dog racing schedule they have meetings this week on mon,wed,fri and sat so I assume no track work being done this week.  Maybe this is the reason why there is no date for Pand P yet.

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

On the dog racing schedule they have meetings this week on mon,wed,fri and sat so I assume no track work being done this week.  Maybe this is the reason why there is no date for Pand P yet.

P & P on old track or new, that is the question.