British Speedway Forum

so assuming Press day is week before first match on 11th April. The season is just 1month away... the  olde toilets remain with all its inhabitants. . The back strand stand remains for the remaining few supporters .  No  sign of the super duper new stadium. The track remains the same with a few pegs too mark the new track. So with a month to go ronnie and his staff will sure too be battling against time to get the track ship shape. I has been intending too return too the revamped stadium with the reshaped Blunsdon circuit which I hoped was going to produce some far more exciting racing .. who was going to be paying for the track changes. The Stadium or  Swindon speedway . . If as I  suspect is the stadium.it shows how much commitment the have too the new stadium. Never have believed  all the talk of a new stadium. I for one doubt I'll be popping down .instead I'll be nipping too Somerset too see some proper racing rather than gate and go racing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mafiarule said:

so assuming Press day is week before first match on 11th April. The season is just 1month away... the  olde toilets remain with all its inhabitants. . The back strand stand remains for the remaining few supporters .  No  sign of the super duper new stadium. The track remains the same with a few pegs too mark the new track. So with a month to go ronnie and his staff will sure too be battling against time to get the track ship shape. I has been intending too return too the revamped stadium with the reshaped Blunsdon circuit which I hoped was going to produce some far more exciting racing .. who was going to be paying for the track changes. The Stadium or  Swindon speedway . . If as I  suspect is the stadium.it shows how much commitment the have too the new stadium. Never have believed  all the talk of a new stadium. I for one doubt I'll be popping down .instead I'll be nipping too Somerset too see some proper racing rather than gate and go racing

I bet Workington fans wish they could watch some 'gate and go' racing this year! :unsure:

• Like 2

Is the stand on the home straight still in position?  Can anyone tell whether it possible to just to continue as before or have changes already been made to the stadium or pits to prevent this?  I must say it sounds worrying and I'd hate to see Swindon lost to the sport.

9 minutes ago, coldace said:

Is the stand on the home straight still in position?  Can anyone tell whether it possible to just to continue as before or have changes already been made to the stadium or pits to prevent this?  I must say it sounds worrying and I'd hate to see Swindon lost to the sport.

I think I heard on here that houses have been built on the old pits area. Rumour was that the new house owners were likely to make a legal challenge, as the track would not be on their doorstep on the maps  when they bought their house. It was pointed out that might be exactly what the developer wants so speedway and dogs could not return, and they then might be able to build even mores , and get more profit from the site of course. 

56 minutes ago, coldace said:

Nothing has happened to the stand, and meetings can continue, be it on the old track or new one if it is built, with the pits used last year.  The houses have not been built on the pits area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Nothing has happened to the stand, and meetings can continue, be it on the old track or new one if it is built, with the pits used last year.  The houses have not been built on the pits area. 

eh pits are right behind people's back garden !! they were built on the understanding the pits would be moved when the new stadium was built !!

8 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

eh pits are right behind people's back garden !! they were built on the understanding the pits would be moved when the new stadium was built !!

Correct present position wise, the house owner can serve teas to the riders. 

32 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

27 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Correct present position wise, the house owner can serve teas to the riders. 

And  they can breathe in the fumes if they want to they should have NO say anyway they knew what they were  buying and most are commuters anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

And  they can breathe in the fumes if they want to they should have NO say anyway they knew what they were  buying and most are commuters anyway.

To be fair Sid, they probably purchased their houses thinking that the new stadium was going to be built some distance away, not in their back gardens.

13 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

To be fair Sid, they probably purchased their houses thinking that the new stadium was going to be built some distance away, not in their back gardens.

If they wish to complain then it can be pointed out that the building of their house has been completed outside the agreed planning consent

If they feel the stadium should be curtailed then perhaps they will accept their house being demolished as part of the enforcement too......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

If they wish to complain then it can be pointed out that the building of their house has been completed outside the agreed planning consent

If they feel the stadium should be curtailed then perhaps they will accept their house being demolished as part of the enforcement too......

How were the houses built outside of the agreed planning consent?

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Good point City  but the new stadium was going to be only a spit away anyway so what is the difference.? 2 hrs twice a month Speedway running  is that a hardship to be honest most of the complaints i have heard about is more to do with the dog racing.

It occurs to me that if I were the boss of the stadium owners and I read all this, any good intentions I had would go straight out of the window.  Can see similarities with Sandhu and Cov.  People have debated for years whether Sandhu is good or evil, but if I were him and I'd spent good money putting together a winning team and tarting up a clapped-out stadium, then I read what people on here say about me, I'd think "sod 'em, let them find another mug to subsidise their crappy sport".

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Robert Lee said:

It occurs to me that if I were the boss of the stadium owners and I read all this, any good intentions I had would go straight out of the window.  Can see similarities with Sandhu and Cov.  People have debated for years whether Sandhu is good or evil, but if I were him and I'd spent good money putting together a winning team and tarting up a clapped-out stadium, then I read what people on here say about me, I'd think "sod 'em, let them find another mug to subsidise their crappy sport".

Trouble is that Clark Osborne has given fans the runaround and hasn't been totally honest as regards his intentions...we suffered with his business dealings at Cowley back in the middle seventies when Bristol Stadiums Ltd(?) owned the stadium.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

How were the houses built outside of the agreed planning consent?

The stadium was a condition of the planning

Only recently there were posts about no further build until the promises re the stadium were kept too