British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Good point City  but the new stadium was going to be only a spit away anyway so what is the difference.? 2 hrs twice a month Speedway running  is that a hardship to be honest most of the complaints i have heard about is more to do with the dog racing.

One man closed Romford speedway down Sid, and moved away soon after. The Bombers were pulling in 6,000 crowds to Brooklands at the time!

53 minutes ago, Robert Lee said:

It occurs to me that if I were the boss of the stadium owners and I read all this, any good intentions I had would go straight out of the window.  Can see similarities with Sandhu and Cov.  People have debated for years whether Sandhu is good or evil, but if I were him and I'd spent good money putting together a winning team and tarting up a clapped-out stadium, then I read what people on here say about me, I'd think "sod 'em, let them find another mug to subsidise their crappy sport".

Are you saying that people should not be worried and not be entitled to air there views.??? All i will say and predict is if Swindon speedway is aloud to go down the swanny the sport and.  certainly the Premiership league is doomed for good.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

certainly the Premiership league is doomed for good.

There can be no other outcome, even with Buster Canute doing his best to defy the entire world ( well, those that spend money on UK sporting events ). Death throes are what we are witnessing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

One man closed Romford speedway down Sid, and moved away soon after. The Bombers were pulling in 6,000 crowds to Brooklands at the time!

Worrying that City heartbreaking really, how is your superb racejacket collection coming along.??

13 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

...and apparently his son used to go the speedway at Romford!

25 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and apparently his son used to go the speedway at Romford!

Scary track Steve. Narrow, fast with a concrete 'safety' wall. It frightened me as a spectator!

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Are you saying that people should not be worried and not be entitled to air there views.??? All i will say and predict is if Swindon speedway is aloud to go down the swanny the sport and.  certainly the Premiership league is doomed for good.

Of course people are entitled to express their views.  Just saying that some of the extreme personal insults and character assassinations you often see on here will not make anyone better-disposed to speedway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The stadium was a condition of the planning

Only recently there were posts about no further build until the promises re the stadium were kept too

The only restriction I have ever seen documented in the planning consent was that "no more than 200 houses can be occupied until a contract is signed to build the new stadium".

Obviously, "a contract is signed" is a very vague term, but I am sure GI would claim they have fulfilled that clause when work "began" a few years back:

http://www.justintomlinson.com/news/3699-huge-news-for-speedway-fans-as-work-starts-on-new-abbey-stadium

1 hour ago, Robert Lee said:

Of course people are entitled to express their views.  Just saying that some of the extreme personal insults and character assassinations you often see on here will not make anyone better-disposed to speedway.

Totally agree.

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Worrying that City heartbreaking really, how is your superb racejacket collection coming along.??

Still growing Sid. My most recent addition was a 1973 Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago.

Does that mean the beginning of the pre-fabricated stadium ( in some far away place ) may well fulfil the "make a start on the stadium" clause? It likely would if it did not state  " make a start on the stadium - on site".

18 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

And  they can breathe in the fumes if they want to they should have NO say anyway they knew what they were  buying and most are commuters anyway.

yes i agree they knew what they were buying but it may have been on the understanding & clause saying they wouldn't be there in ex amount of time ? IE around now ??

• Like 1

I flew over Blunsdon a couple of weeks ago in a light aircraft and was quite shocked by what I saw.  The stadium is now surrounded on three sides by new housing, some of which is right up to the stadium boundary.  Don’t see how re-shaping the existing track will help, nor does it look like there is enough remaining space for a new stadium.

I can post a photo if someone can tell me how?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Man in black said:

I flew over Blunsdon a couple of weeks ago in a light aircraft and was quite shocked by what I saw.  The stadium is now surrounded on three sides by new housing, some of which is right up to the stadium boundary.  Don’t see how re-shaping the existing track will help, nor does it look like there is enough remaining space for a new stadium.

I can post a photo if someone can tell me how?

Things look different 30,000 feet up! :unsure:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Things look different 30,000 feet up! :unsure:

Yeah, they look different from 1000ft as well. It’s pretty clear from the unfinished stubs of new road that the development is intended to overrun the current stadium site plus the warehouse behind the main stand.  The remaining space just does not look big enough to me for a new stadium.

Hope I’m wrong.....

• Like 1