British Speedway Forum

You're not wrong. You can see the houses encroaching on the stadium on Google Maps.

Abbey-Stadium-Ariel-View.png

Everything above the red line used to be open fields offering a nice barrier between the housing estate and the stadium. Now it is all housing.

They even demolished the away pits and build a house there. You can see how close they are in this picture from Swindon's Instagram account. That wall is the side of someone's home.

If you want to be really depressed, here is the Master Plan for the whole development.

Abbey-Stadium-Master-Plan.png

3 minutes ago, MattK said:

You're not wrong. You can see the houses encroaching on the stadium on Google Maps.

Everything above the red line used to be open fields offering a nice barrier between the housing estate and the stadium. Now it is all housing.

They even demolished the away pits and build a house there. You can see how close they are in this picture from Swindon's Instagram account. That wall is the side of someone's home.

If you want to be really depressed, here is the Master Plan for the whole development.

Abbey-Stadium-Master-Plan.png

Strewth! Last time I went to Blunsdon it was so very rural...didn't realise that the housing was that close!

Last time I went to Swindon the car park was big enough to act as a pits for 100 race cars and lorrys and spectator parking. Now it looks barely bigger then rye house's tiny car park. And the master plan appears the have a massive white elephant with literally no prevision for stadium parking at all!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MattK said:

Wish I knew how to post my photo, ‘cos it’s even worse now!  See that triangular field just above the stadium?  All new houses. And the brownish area just below the warehouse behind the main stand? Those houses are now finished.

Woo Hoo! managed it!!  This was the stadium on 12 Feb 2019......

65733m.jpg

Edited by Man in black
  • Like 1

U really need to be a believer to see the stadium run in five years time unless serious money is pumped in to it NOW. I'd be worried.

46 minutes ago, Man in black said:

Wish I knew how to post my photo, ‘cos it’s even worse now!  See that triangular field just above the stadium?  All new houses. And the brownish area just below the warehouse behind the main stand? Those houses are now finished.

65733m.jpg

Wow, there certainly has been no effort at all in amending the new track shape. 

Swindon fans have to be concerned, the worry has to be, will they even complete the season??

Looking at those photos it's hard to see how speedway in Swindon can survive. Nothing stands in the way of the insatiable need for housing.

1 hour ago, Man in black said:

65733m.jpg

where is the flagged out markings what russell said had been done to mark out new track ? more duff information for the fans swindon fans should be treated with respect this false information is bad relationship and the supposed ready built grandstand in storage in wales ?? i fear the worst for this project !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Strewth! Last time I went to Blunsdon it was so very rural...didn't realise that the housing was that close!

Absolutely! Scary when you see things like that...

Steve

If I lived in one of those houses, personally, I would rather have a stadium on my doorstep than have even more houses. I live opposite a church and yes, the congregation park their cars all over the shop on a Sunday, a funeral or a wedding. But I would rather the church than more flippin houses! The church is not that attractive either! But I do wonder whether the stadium will be swallowed? :unsure:

Lots of houses means lots of potential fans...

Potential customers literally being brought to your door step..

(Or Swindon being brought to their doorstep as the case maybe?):D

What an opportunity to grow your business....

There will be no issues with these locals not knowing what Speedway is...;)

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Lots of houses means lots of potential fans...

Potential customers literally being brought to your door step..

(Or Swindon being brought to their doorstep as the case maybe?):D

What an opportunity to grow your business. ..

Great twist on it. Opportunity to promote entertainment on your doorstep. I would love to have a track within walking distance. Sadly, it only takes a few ‘Only Me’s’ to make things difficult. Swindon fans get buying - some could watch from their bedroom. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Great twist on it. Opportunity to promote entertainment on your doorstep. I would love to have a track within walking distance. Sadly, it only takes a few ‘Only Me’s’ to make things difficult. Swindon fans get buying - some could watch from their bedroom. 

Wouldn't be the first time would it. Exeter, Romford and West Ham were three tracks that had houses surrounding their stadiums. For Romford it proved fatal, but the orher two ran for years without any problems. That was then but this is now. If Swindon do survive long term in the middle of a housing estate. It might give hope to future planning issues at other clubs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hodgy said:

I remember at the 'dog bowl' the houses adjacent to the back straight had a completely unrestricted view from their bathroom windows overlooking the track when 'The Chieftain Stand' was demolished....

No one ever watched....:D

A 'proper business' would be engaging with their new neighbours and giving out special offers, eg a few meetings free to try it, reduced price tickets ongoing, organising meet and greet open days pre season exclusively for them etc..

Must be a couple of thousand people now within walking distance, and the demographic of house buyers in those size houses suggest young (ish) professionals with plenty of kids in tow...

Speedway's much needed target audience...

(Obviously still having a track to run on would be a distinct advantage in attracting them).;)

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:41 AM, teaboy279 said:

Last time I went to Swindon the car park was big enough to act as a pits for 100 race cars and lorrys and spectator parking. Now it looks barely bigger then rye house's tiny car park. And the master plan appears the have a massive white elephant with literally no prevision for stadium parking at all!!

But they still wouldn't let us leave the dogs in the far end of the car park when we were on holiday and found out they now weren't allowed inside the stadium,  as they might have bitten someone. Cretins. 

• Like 1