British Speedway Forum

10 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

so where is the pre built new grandstand in storage in wales ?? it doesn't exist sadly so why tell the fans that ?? some porkies being told sadly !! altering track only so more houses built again within meters of the track !! sadly i think it will be final season there !!

Remember all of the same negativity surrounding the NSS before it all finally happened, and look at it now.

I appreciate the circumstances are completely different in Swindon. The Club have only been able to pass on info they're told, a lot of which has proven incorrect hence why they have stopped saying anything about the new stadium. 

The Club commented that an altered track would be in place for the 2019 season. Again, nothing about the stadium. The new track will be in place for the 2019 season. I very much doubt money would be being spent on all of the alterations if it was for one season. We'll see I guess.

• Like 1

Interesting that Terry Russell talks about "his" contractors and "the clubs" contractors. It certainly gives the impression that the club are paying for this rather than the stadium owners.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Track work progressing. 

D18sGZ7XgAIdz8K.jpg

23 days to new season and when  ready will fit in press day.will wait with baited breath. .. 

8 hours ago, Reliant Robin said:

Remember all of the same negativity surrounding the NSS before it all finally happened, and look at it now.

I appreciate the circumstances are completely different in Swindon. The Club have only been able to pass on info they're told, a lot of which has proven incorrect hence why they have stopped saying anything about the new stadium. 

The Club commented that an altered track would be in place for the 2019 season. Again, nothing about the stadium. The new track will be in place for the 2019 season. I very much doubt money would be being spent on all of the alterations if it was for one season. We'll see I guess.

yes completely different regarding NSS so no comparison still doesn't answer the so called mystery pre-built new grandstand in storage in wales ?? storage costs if there is one ??? why tell fans that it is in storage and if it is who has paid for it ????????????

Looks like there is a lot of work to be done to have the track ready for the start of the season. Good luck to the track staff.

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

Interesting that Terry Russell talks about "his" contractors and "the clubs" contractors. It certainly gives the impression that the club are paying for this rather than the stadium owners.

This is what I’d assumed about these track changes, the club needed to push on with things and change the track layout to try and rejuvenate the project a bit. The old track certainly wasn’t fit for purpose any more and the entertainment value had gone through the floor. If the club can keep going with healthy enough attendances and general support, it makes it harder for the council to say that the site needs to be put out of its misery because only a couple of hundred of people are turning up a week and no one cares any more. I’m almost certain thats what would have happened with the old track and was Osbourne’s plan to bleed any support for the speedway dry. Hopefully with a better track and a competitive team, attendances and support will stay healthy....it’s then up to Osbourne and his cronies to fulfil their side of the bargain and put some sort of new stadium. If not, the elephant in the room over osbourne and this mythical stadium just keeps getting bigger.

Sadly I think the club and council are still ultimately just being strung along though. 

I don’t know why Geoff58 is sounding off as if he’s just uncovered some inside scoop.....we’ve known all this for years mate... it doesn’t need rubbing in any more.

• Like 3

FB_IMG_1552948793752.jpg

• Like 1

thought the press release many moons ago was about a new stadium and not just track work?...surely this track work should of been done weeks/months ago? if mother nature is unkind this could be an absolute disaster.

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

FB_IMG_1552948793752.jpg

Great stuff Grachan, that track needed reinventing the racing generally has been  dog poor for along time now.As Speedy Pete says if the entertainment level can go up the crowds can stay healthy and  we are still well supported generally and i am convinced we can get a gate between 12/1400 most weeks fingers crossed anyway.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great stuff Grachan, that track needed reinventing the racing generally has been  dog poor for along time now.As Speedy Pete says if the entertainment level can go up the crowds can stay healthy and  we are still well supported generally and i am convinced we can get a gate between 12/1400 most weeks fingers crossed anyway.

Blunsdon used to produce some great racing when I used to attend but even in my time I do recall the track deteriorating and becoming rough and uneven although it was occasionally put right. I would be concerned as a 'Budgie' fan that it appears from the photos that the track may be significantly shorter but perhaps that may be for the better...time will only tell.

Weather this week on Swindon’s side. Professional contractors can do this work quickly. Track will need a while to bed down. If I was Swindon I might hold a practice meeting or an open practice to get plenty of bikes on new track.

27 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Blunsdon used to produce some great racing when I used to attend but even in my time I do recall the track deteriorating and becoming rough and uneven although it was occasionally put right. I would be concerned as a 'Budgie' fan that it appears from the photos that the track may be significantly shorter but perhaps that may be for the better...time will only tell.

Tell you something Steve i never ever thought that a bigger track would deteriorate as much in a short space of time as the Abbey has.I believe the straights are to big  for the  bikes now and if this track is shaped on the Somerset model it has to help to provide better racing.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1