British Speedway Forum

So 3 weeks today and swindon first meeting and track not even laid. .Rosco in the local rag says he has faith in  boss too have track ready as he  has a huge experience of preparing Cardiff. Isn't that a Job of Ole Olsen to oversee  and nothing too do with Terry Russell who oversees theTv. Interesting survey on Twitter showing 70% dont think track will be ready. I guess the other 30% our freeloaders and rose tinted glass wearers. ONLY TIME WILL SERIOUSLYr tell. One thing on there side the moment is the weather. ..Bet the storm clouds emerge soon as season starts though

6 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

It also has the space for the lighting poles and different cables .

That's interesting as I thought any reconfigured or new track had to set the lighting a certain distance from the bends. If the lighting is set in between those two walls that looks a real h&s issue?!?

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's interesting as I thought any reconfigured or new track had to set the lighting a certain distance from the bends. If the lighting is set in between those two walls that looks a real h&s issue?!?

You may be right, I was just going on the configuration and positions of the existing ones around the rest of the track 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Two meters is the FIM safety/landing area. After that a brick wall is fine.

11 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Two meters is the FIM safety/landing area. After that a brick wall is fine.

The brick wall is only up to ground level  

7 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

The brick wall is only up to ground level  

Yes I got that. But DS was thinking the lights have to been at a certain distance now that the whole thing is rebuilt. That distance is two meters. And after that a brick wall is fine, nothing agains it in the rules. H&S in the UK I dont know about.

Edited by f-s-p

1 minute ago, f-s-p said:

Yes I got that. But DS was thinking the lights have to been at a certain distance now that the whole thing is rebuilt. That distance is two meters.

We will see when they are installed. 

Pretty certain all health and safety issues have been addressed accordingly but I'm sure the club and contractors appreciate the concern.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Yes I got that. But DS was thinking the lights have to been at a certain distance now that the whole thing is rebuilt. That distance is two meters. And after that a brick wall is fine, nothing agains it in the rules. H&S in the UK I dont know about.

Technically speaking the two metres can be from the front of the obstruction, i.e, lights standard or wall, to the front of the air panel.  

6 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Technically speaking the two metres can be from the front of the obstruction, i.e, lights standard or wall, to the front of the air panel.  

I had my own project a while back and was asking about this from ”above”. Even the FIM people are not agreeing where it should be measured. 1) from the inside of the air fence to the object or 2) from the fence support pilar to the object. I can easily see a 1,2 meter difference of an opinion.

56 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

I had my own project a while back and was asking about this from ”above”. Even the FIM people are not agreeing where it should be measured. 1) from the inside of the air fence to the object or 2) from the fence support pilar to the object. I can easily see a 1,2 meter difference of an opinion.

Should be from the main fence structure excluding airfence. Be ridiculous from the front of the airfence as some of them are a meter thick.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:30 AM, A ORLOV said:

For youngsters to train on. 

does it ever get used these days ?

Just now, adonis said:

does it ever get used these days ?

Not in the last season, then only a few times the season before.  It used to have young riders on it before most meetings a few seasons ago.

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

not in the last season, then only a few times the season before.  It used to have young riders on it before most meetings a few seasons ago.

Maybe they could do skid schools on it. Start on 125's then 250's or old 500's. 2 valves or Wessies

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Maybe they could do skid schools on it. Start on 125's then 250's or old 500's. 2 valves or Wessies

I would have thought, with the new houses so close to the stadium, the least speedway activity there is at the stadium, the less chance there will be of complaint from the residents. :unsure: