British Speedway Forum

15 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Should be from the main fence structure excluding airfence. Be ridiculous from the front of the airfence as some of them are a meter thick.

Why.

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Why.

Whats the point of having a safety perimeter if its half full of fence? In my thinking the safety area is empty and flat, of course. But then again if I was the ref at Horsens SGP I'd naturally measure it from the front of the airfence, because otherwise there might not be a meeting… :D

And in other news from Swindon, the light pilars wont be two meters from the fence as thats where the dog track is. So chin down and onwards to the next disappointment…

13 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Not in the last season, then only a few times the season before.  It used to have young riders on it before most meetings a few seasons ago.

Last time I was there with the Diamonds, they held a junior meeting races slotted in between the heats of the main meeting. i thought that was not allowed, but apparently it used to be a regular feature at Swindon, and I assume it was because they were not using the main track. Still an usually feature, but the more you think about it it's not so silly. Down to the referees permission I suppose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Last time I was there with the Diamonds, they held a junior meeting races slotted in between the heats of the main meeting. i thought that was not allowed, but apparently it used to be a regular feature at Swindon, and I assume it was because they were not using the main track. Still an usually feature, but the more you think about it it's not so silly. Down to the referees permission I suppose.

Reading are using Swindon this season in the MDL as their home track, and the Young Lions also have a meeting here, both of which are good .   

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Whats the point of having a safety perimeter if its half full of fence? In my thinking the safety area is empty and flat, of course. But then again if I was the ref at Horsens SGP I'd naturally measure it from the front of the airfence, because otherwise there might not be a meeting… :D

And in other news from Swindon, the light pilars wont be two meters from the fence as thats where the dog track is. So chin down and onwards to the next disappointment…

In advance of our new fence about three years ago, my winter team and I  moved about 30 posts leading into and exiting the 1st and 2nd turns in order that the air fence fitted into the curves with no jutting out at the start or the coming out. The wedge piece coming of the 2nd turn is in a straight-line with straight mesh fence. Been passed every year,  and by every ref since during the season.

Edited by Tsunami

14 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

What's the problem with having the air fence, as half of the gap instead  a void.

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Reading are using Swindon this season in the MDL as their home track, and the Young Lions also have a meeting here, both of which are good .   

I might be down for the Young Lions BYC round. The MDL of course will be using the main track I think. Good little meetings.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I might be down for the Young Lions BYC round. The MDL of course will be using the main track I think. Good little meetings.

If you do visit, pm me and let me know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

What's the problem with having the air fence, as half of the gap instead  a void.

It’s a matter of an opinion, is the safety area behind the fence or behind the point of impact to the fence. Opinion, nothing else.

My point regarding Horsens is that at least once the 3-4 bends have been so close to the spectators that a wider racing line has given a chance to throw high5’s with riders...

Does anyone remember Swindon's experiment with an "Esso" shaped track in (I think) 1958? The track manager then was a former rider Alf Elliott who had a theory that a track should be "Esso" shaped to reflect a rider's natural racing line. There was a lot of publicity in the speedway press at the time but I never managed to get to see a meeting on the  track, although I remember reading that several riders were unhappy with the new shape at the opening meeting on it, and the idea seemed to be quickly dropped as the track had reverted to its original shape well before the end of that season.

Edited by brianbuck

So 3 weeks today and swindon first meeting and track not even laid. .Rosco in the local rag says he has faith in  boss too have track ready as he  has a huge experience of preparing Cardiff. Isn't that a Job of Ole Olsen to oversee  and nothing too do with Terry Russell who oversees theTv. Interesting survey on Twitter showing 70% dont think track will be ready. I guess the other 30% our freeloaders and rose tinted glass wearers. ONLY TIME WILL SERIOUSLYr tell. One thing on there side the moment is the weather. ..Bet the storm clouds emerge soon as season starts though

So 2 weeks to  first meeting...weather still good. Every other track  is having or had press day and swindon havnt even got attack ready... proffessional  my ass.

28 minutes ago, Mafiarule said:

So 2 weeks to  first meeting...weather still good. Every other track  is having or had press day and swindon havnt even got attack ready... proffessional  my ass.

What is your actual issue here? You're like a broken record.

The Club are having to play the hand they have been dealt. I'm sure they would have liked to have been given the green light to have started the work earlier but that wasn't in their control.

Having been given the green light, a number of people have been working their proverbials off to have the track ready for Thurs 11th April. What is unprofessional about that? If they pull it off, and everything is ready for the 11th I expect you'll lay low for a short while and wait for the dust to settle.

There can be no guarantees, but there's no lack of effort going in and a lot has been achieved in a short space of time. Let's hope for the best, or not in your case as you'd prefer to say 'I told you so'

Edited by Reliant Robin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

What is your actual issue here? You're like a broken record.

The Club are having the play the hand they have been dealt. I'm sure they would have liked to have been given the green light to have started the work earlier but that wasn't in their control.

Having been given the green light, a number have people have been working their proverbial off to have the track ready for Thurs 11th April. What is unprofessional about that? If they pull it off, and everything is ready for the 11th I expect you'll lay low for a short while and wait for the dust to settle.

There can be no guarantees, but there's no lack of effort going in and a lot has been achieved in a short space of time. Let's hope for the best, or not in your case as you'd prefer to say 'I told you so'

Doubt dust will  settle over Blunsdon. Always seems too rain on match day