British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, Mafiarule said:

No body told the rain gods season starting later this year. Rain forecast next 3 days. . 9 days and counting. Might take a ride out for press day and preview track . When is press day scheduled .any word yet

Thurs 11th 6.30pm  :wink:

• Haha 3

I will venture to see the new track this year.....

but not till later in the season when the track has had time to settle

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, OveFundinFan said:

As I have said on other threads in the past, orion, I would love to know the truth behind all the things that went on a BV, someone will write a book some day, I be buying it.

Maybe the rot set in when the first meeting, Peter Craven Memorial Trophy, was called off. Must have cost a packet, it was star studded meeting, and all the riders were there., and the track problem was the work of Manchester Council and their sub-contractor.

Amazing that someone of a rider of Chris Morton's experience saw nothing wrong with the Belle Vue track prior to opening the doors to the public on the first night. Good job the riders on the night pointed out the problems the promotion couldn't or didn't want to see and forced  Manchester council and its sub contractors to amend their shoddy work and produce the circuit we have today.

38 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

Amazing that someone of a rider of Chris Morton's experience saw nothing wrong with the Belle Vue track prior to opening the doors to the public on the first night. Good job the riders on the night pointed out the problems the promotion couldn't or didn't want to see and forced  Manchester council and its sub contractors to amend their shoddy work and produce the circuit we have today.

Yea it's amazing that people the total blame on the council Sub contractors l etc they are hardly speedway people or riders ..Surely Morton was overseeing the track etc .

We all know they had a massive problems with the track prior to the big meeting even or the day but because of the tickets sales etc  they try to run it ..a massive mistake 

I read that in the later stages Chris Morton and Belle Vue people were no longer allowed to oversee track building and that's when the odd things happened on that bend. Sure I read that I the Star.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I read that in the later stages Chris Morton and Belle Vue people were no longer allowed to oversee track building and that's when the odd things happened on that bend. Sure I read that I the Star.

correct morton wouldn't and couldn't have been on the track all the time supervising what they were throwing in the base !! also he didn't do to bad did hein getting the track right to what it is now eh ???? chris is a b/vue legend you won't find many ? if any ACES fans calling him FACT !!

16 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Thats how I understood it too. MCCouncil took control of track building via their sub- contractors. If that was so, how could the blame be on Morton/Gordon.  And if they were told to keep their nose out, they probably were no where near when the mistakes were made. No doubt the haters will have a different spin to suit there own agenda.

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Thats how I understood it too. MCCouncil took control of track building via their sub- contractors. If that was so, how could the blame be on Morton/Gordon.  And if they were told to keep their nose out, they probably were no where near when the mistakes were made. No doubt the haters will have a different spin to suit there own agenda.

Nothing to do with spin .. are you are telling me Morton and Gordon never run  tests on  the track before the first meeting ..it's a fact that two riders tested the track the week before when they were present and told them it had major problems .of course they took a risk and try to run a big meeting that went ** up .

Morton might has been a Belle Vue legend as a rider but as a team manager and promoter he was hopeless and dishonest ..no wonder he was kicked  out of the sport 

11 hours ago, geoff58 said:

correct morton wouldn't and couldn't have been on the track all the time supervising what they were throwing in the base !! also he didn't do to bad did hein getting the track right to what it is now eh ???? chris is a b/vue legend you won't find many ? if any ACES fans calling him FACT !!

With the amount of money they borrowed it would be hard to put a foot wrong regarding the whole stadium and track, but of course they did.

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

With the amount of money they borrowed it would be hard to put a foot wrong regarding the whole stadium and track, but of course they did.

How much did they borrow? I thought it was MCCouncil that invested in the stadium, a sports stadium in what is a planned development of sport in that area of Manchester, a sports area in the 3rd largest city in the UK. The council, as I read, had the contract with the sub contractors, Mort/Gordon didn’t have much input, I understand, in the construction of the project, design of the track Yes,construction No.

5 hours ago, orion said:

Nothing to do with spin .. are you are telling me Morton and Gordon never run  tests on  the track before the first meeting ..it's a fact that two riders tested the track the week before when they were present and told them it had major problems .of course they took a risk and try to run a big meeting that went ** up .

Morton might has been a Belle Vue legend as a rider but as a team manager and promoter he was hopeless and dishonest ..no wonder he was kicked  out of the sport 

The bends 3/4 were the last to be completed by the sub contractor, and in a rush as the first meeting was imminent. They were working out of the stadium. Seems in the rush anything was dumped on those corners - why was that ? I don’t know, perhaps the subby hadn’t ordered the right stuff in time for a delivery, or was just dumping rubbish from another job, we don’t know, and won’t know officially because the council hasn’t released deaptail, and probably won’t. When the test riders said it was spongy wasn’t it thought it because it was freshly laid track that needed to settle? Bit like some have said about Swindon’s freshly laid corners right on top of the season start. 

As I have said before, there is likely a lot “we” don’t know, and not likely to for a few years yet the true facts, if ever. I will read the book with interest if ever released.

still, the UK has got a brand new stadium, excellent race track, good facilities, built right amongst a housing area, not in the middle of a field, a track that produces racing relating to the original Hyde Road which is historical and world renowned, and yet there are knockers. Seems some cant be satisfied.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

How much did they borrow? I thought it was MCCouncil that invested in the stadium, a sports stadium in what is a planned development of sport in that area of Manchester, a sports area in the 3rd largest city in the UK. The council, as I read, had the contract with the sub contractors, Mort/Gordon didn’t have much input, I understand, in the construction of the project, design of the track Yes,construction No.

The bends 3/4 were the last to be completed by the sub contractor, and in a rush as the first meeting was imminent. They were working out of the stadium. Seems in the rush anything was dumped on those corners - why was that ? I don’t know, perhaps the subby hadn’t ordered the right stuff in time for a delivery, or was just dumping rubbish from another job, we don’t know, and won’t know officially because the council hasn’t released deaptail, and probably won’t. When the test riders said it was spongy wasn’t it thought it because it was freshly laid track that needed to settle? Bit like some have said about Swindon’s freshly laid corners right on top of the season start. 

As I have said before, there is likely a lot “we” don’t know, and not likely to for a few years yet the true facts, if ever. I will read the book with interest if ever released.

still, the UK has got a brand new stadium, excellent race track, good facilities, built right amongst a housing area, not in the middle of a field, a track that produces racing relating to the original Hyde Road which is historical and world renowned, and yet there are knockers. Seems some cant be satisfied.

So why was there an article on here not so long ago stating how much was owed to Manchester Council from Belle Vue speedway?

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

So why was there an article on here not so long ago stating how much was owed to Manchester Council from Belle Vue speedway?

You said "With the amount of money they borrowed it would be hard to put a foot wrong regarding the whole stadium and track, but of course they did".

Mort and Gordon did not borrow money to fund the stadium - MCCouncil built the stadium, the promotors were renting the stadium from MCC, as now.

As I understand, M&G could not be involved with the building of the stadium, including the track. Not allowed by MCC, who worked through its sub contractor, not M&G. 

I dont know what went on for them to be behind with the rent, probably you dont either. However the cancellation of the first meeting, caused by MCC/Sub contractors would have been a heavy loss for M&G (star field needing paying etc). Perhaps they were having a tussle with MCC for compensation, and at the same time having to sort out paying the stars, and trying to run the club - difficult I would imagine. As I said "I want to read the book". More then likely someone like MCC will have gagging orders. but may be in years to come we will know the truth.

Its all been said before on this forum.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

You said "With the amount of money they borrowed it would be hard to put a foot wrong regarding the whole stadium and track, but of course they did".

Mort and Gordon did not borrow money to fund the stadium - MCCouncil built the stadium, the promotors were renting the stadium from MCC, as now.

As I understand, M&G could not be involved with the building of the stadium, including the track. Not allowed by MCC, who worked through its sub contractor, not M&G. 

I dont know what went on for them to be behind with the rent, probably you dont either. However the cancellation of the first meeting, caused by MCC/Sub contractors would have been a heavy loss for M&G (star field needing paying etc). Perhaps they were having a tussle with MCC for compensation, and at the same time having to sort out paying the stars, and trying to run the club - difficult I would imagine. As I said "I want to read the book". More then likely someone like MCC will have gagging orders. but may be in years to come we will know the truth.

Well even if it wasn’t borrowed , they still had a brand new track and stadium built for them .

He must of overseen something , or are you suggesting all that money was ploughed in by the council and the subcontractors were simply given a set of plans and told off you go? Not a chance. 

Doesn't the new Belle Vue track and its construction problem have its own thread elsewhere on the BSF?

Any news on Swindon?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Well even if it wasn’t borrowed , they still had a brand new track and stadium built for them .

He must of overseen something , or are you suggesting all that money was ploughed in by the council and the subcontractors were simply given a set of plans and told off you go? Not a chance. 

• Like 1