British Speedway Forum

32 minutes ago, Gresham78 said:

Do we get a set of binoculars to view the new track? With a smaller circuit spectators will be even further away from it than they are now...

Only on bends 1 & 2. I would imagine that won't be a great place to watch, but there's loads of other options.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:37 PM, A ORLOV said:

They have not got a balcony or window overlooking the track, they slipped up there 

It's interesting to see the difference between these house and the properties being built right next to Newbury racecourse.

The fact that they overlook the course is seen as a selling point, and those that have a direct view of the course are actually more expensive.

On race days people are out on their balconies watching. There's not the merest hint of houses being built there being any kind of threat to the racing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It's interesting to see the difference between these house and the properties being built right next to Newbury racecourse.

The fact that they overlook the course is seen as a selling point, and those that have a direct view of the course are actually more expensive.

On race days people are out on their balconies watching. There's not the merest hint of houses being built there being any kind of threat to the racing.

Partly an image problem. It is the same with all the houses near Wimbledon tennis. They can make good money by renting them out for the Wimbledon fortnight or let people park on their property for good money every day.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Go to Newbury Races at least once a year, lovely views of course and surrounding countryside, unlike looking out at the scrapyard Stade De Lite up on Blunsdon Hill. One person i spoke to thought it would be full of hells angels and greabos, then i explained hardly any fans ride bikes!

Edited by auntie doris

40 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Go to Newbury Races at least once a year, lovely views of course and surrounding countryside, unlike looking out at the Stade De Lite up on Blunsdon Hill. One person i spoke to thought it would be full of hells angels and grebos, then i explained hardly any fans ride bikes!

I do wonder if it might be a good PR exercise to offer free admission to people who live on the adjacent estate. Get them onside, as it were.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Go to Newbury Races at least once a year, lovely views of course and surrounding countryside, unlike looking out at the scrapyard Stade De Lite up on Blunsdon Hill. One person i spoke to thought it would be full of hells angels and greabos, then i explained hardly any fans ride bikes!

I suppose it wouldn't help matters, if Swindon speedway changed their nickname to 'Sons of Anarchy'? :unsure:

• Haha 1

Clock is ticking on Swindon as a viable track with housing so close.

It will have to look elsewhere if it is to continue in the sport. A stand alone track in the area should be achievable ala Somerset surely.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GWC said:

It will have to look elsewhere if it is to continue in the sport. A stand alone track in the area should be achievable ala Somerset surely.

If they do not like it there they should not have moved to the development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

I think what is often overlooked with this type of comment is that the original plans for redevelopment did not include a speedway track at all. The Council made it quite clear that absolutely no redevelopment would be signed off unless it included a track for Swindon Speedway to continue racing on.

Whilst there have been several changes of plans etc, the Council's backing seems to have remained a constant. One would hope that would continue should any complaints arise further down the line.

4 hours ago, GWC said:

Ironically it was in the 60's.

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

If they do not like it there they should not have moved to the development.

Correct and the legal system is moving onside with open air music and sporting venues. It is now the responsibility of the developer and agents to be frank and open with buyers and renters, if not, they are now liable and can be taken to court.

Meeting on 11th has been postponed. 

Edited by A ORLOV

56 minutes ago, screm said:

What makes this more annoying is the clubs insistence on supporters being negative about this, well they have had  near perfect weather since they started and still not managed it. 

So looks like my trip down on the 18th will now be the test event.

Makes the comments by Lee Kilby who was criticising supporters for being negative and that it would be done easily  a  complete nonsense.

• Like 1