British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, orion said:

The key is not all of  them are treated badly a fact that is lost on  you  . anyone could pick bad  examples in most things if they wanted to , we breed animals to eat so not sure what the big deal is about being breed to race what they love to do   and  the majority have a good life and are   well looked after. 

It's not lost on me but I don't consider being stuck in kennels, when not racing, is a good life for a dog. It would be like a dog permanently waiting for a home all its life at the RSPCA.  Being as you know many trainers I presume you can confirm their dog lives with them indoors at home, gets taken for a daily walk and are not kept in kennels until their next race?  Yeah right.  As to the dogs at Swindon not being bred in the first place that sounds like a damn good idea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gemini said:

It's not lost on me but I don't consider being stuck in kennels, when not racing, is a good life for a dog. It would be like a dog permanently waiting for a home all its life at the RSPCA.  Being as you know many trainers I presume you can confirm their dog lives with them indoors at home, gets taken for a daily walk and are not kept in kennels until their next race?  Yeah right.  As to the dogs at Swindon not being bred in the first place that sounds like a damn good idea.

Not  a good idea as the speedway club would have to close like many others across the uk  as stadiums mainly  stay open  due to Greyhounds. I am amazed you even went to speedway on that understanding.. I expect a racing Greyhound gets a lot more exercise than a pet one ..As I always said before as humans we breed animals to kill and eat but get upset when they are bred to race and in the main have a great life 

• Like 1

I absolutely hate the idea of animals being killed so humans can eat their bodies, especially the way some of them are killed but there you go that's the human race for you.  The majority of problems in the World are caused by them, but I suppose that's a different subject so we'll just have to agree to disagree on Greyhound Racing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

I absolutely hate the idea of animals being killed so humans can eat their bodies, especially the way some of them are killed but there you go that's the human race for you.  The majority of problems in the World are caused by them, but I suppose that's a different subject so we'll just have to agree to disagree on Greyhound Racing. 

My main point was that there are  people turning up for this meeting wanted the stadium to  be built but no Greyhound Racing  .Now no matter what side  of the fence you are on that is just plain stupid as business wise that would be impossible . 

• Like 1

any signs of bulldozers around the Abbey ?? :t:

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:57 AM, geoff58 said:

any signs of bulldozers around the Abbey ?? :t:

Only those "hovering" waiting to get started on the next run of new homes .

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, Gemini said:

Animals eat other animals. It's natural and it's called the food chain - we just happen to be at the top of the food chain. Should we try to stop owls eating mice, lions eating antelopes etc? If birds and other little creatures didn't eat insects (they are God's creatures too), there'd be much less healthy grain for the vegans to eat.

• Like 4

On 1/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, Gemini said:

Really? Now I wonder what would be best ~ never being born or having to race? Greyhounds are not born that way they are trained by humans with money in mind as usual.  No good and they are discarded or sent to China to breed yet more of them, or eaten.  They are beautiful laid back dogs until trained differently. It's like saying all Border Collies are born to be working Sheep and live outdoors on a farm.  No farms = no Border Collies.  Perhaps you should take a look at the link below or look at CAGED Nationwide on Facebook. There are plenty of examples of how cruelly most of them are treated so would have been much better off never having been born.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/09/dog-breeder-let-three-greyhounds-starve-death-stuffed-one-freezer-12030888/?fbclid=IwAR3uCBdXviz4CnWQz2aIkybsv02v0KX66_RShXm7MC2C5sSGHYf13YNnVo4

How about the poor rabbit that they chase!  :)

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, Gemini said:

Really? Now I wonder what would be best ~ never being born or having to race? Greyhounds are not born that way they are trained by humans with money in mind as usual.  No good and they are discarded or sent to China to breed yet more of them, or eaten.  They are beautiful laid back dogs until trained differently. It's like saying all Border Collies are born to be working Sheep and live outdoors on a farm.  No farms = no Border Collies.  Perhaps you should take a look at the link below or look at CAGED Nationwide on Facebook. There are plenty of examples of how cruelly most of them are treated so would have been much better off never having been born.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/09/dog-breeder-let-three-greyhounds-starve-death-stuffed-one-freezer-12030888/?fbclid=IwAR3uCBdXviz4CnWQz2aIkybsv02v0KX66_RShXm7MC2C5sSGHYf13YNnVo4

Don’t believe all the cack caged post   Rita James and co  need  help . they post Anything to get more donations 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DC2 said:

There's a song about them!

19 hours ago, DC2 said:

Hair today gone tomorrow

3 hours ago, orion said:

Hair today gone tomorrow

apt words ? hope they don't follow into the speedway stadium :(

It’s sad that some people think it’s acceptable to use dead and injured greyhounds as collateral damage to support the speedway.  This is nothing to do with CAGED.  Most national newspapers have reported on the horrors of greyhound racing now.  Yes, not all owners/trainers etc etc but there are far, far too many who don’t care about their animals unfortunately - as the recent case of Clive Elliott showed.  For a nation of dog lovers, it is remarkable that we are only one of 7 countries in the world now that allows greyhound racing to continue.

Greyhounds have been around for thousands of years and only raced for about one hundred.  The breed will not die out if racing stops.

Speedway is important to the town so it would be great if other uses for the stadium could be found that support the speedway but allow the (loss making) greyhound racing to end.  

On 1/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, hans fan said:

Don’t believe all the cack caged post   Rita James and co  need  help . they post Anything to get more donations 

I suppose they make up the photos as well? 

Most national newspapers have reported on the state of the industry in the last few years.  The case of David Smith, who was exposed by the Sunday Times in 2006, was the start.  He was revealed to have killed an estimated 10,000 ex racing or unwanted greyhounds over 15 years.  It’s still going on now.  The lucky ones get rehomed or stay with their owners/trainers.  The unlucky ones get discarded.  

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-greyhounds-raced-collapse-boiled-11630624