British Speedway Forum

this quiet year has been a holiday for the locals, they've enjoyed the peace - they'd be in for a shock when the racing starts and there'll be hell on. Possibly all part of the plan

On 6/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, steve roberts said:

This has to be one of the longest ever sagas within speedway circles?

It's not even close.

Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading & Torquay United are all awaiting a new stadium from Mr Osbourne as promised.

At least the new Swindon stadium is built & safe in storage at a Unicorn farm in Wales

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Technik said:

It's not even close.

Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading & Torquay United are all awaiting a new stadium from Mr Osbourne as promised.

At least the new Swindon stadium is built & safe in storage at a Unicorn farm in Wales

Ah yes! Clark Osbourne...remember him when he 'sold' Cowley Stadium in 1975 until the SOS Committee (one of which was my uncle) saved the stadium.

13 hours ago, Technik said:

It's not even close.

Indeed... It was 2007 when he told us we would see the new stadium going up next to Smallmead during the 2008 season. I do believe that was also one of the early promises to Swindon fans before they decided to rebuild the existing stadium. I hope with all my heart Swindon doesn't go the same way.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:37 AM, Ghosty said:

If work hasn't started on the "new" stadium I can't see it ever happening. Time a protest Swindon fans. Anyone know where Mr Osbourne lives?

Come on you Swindon fans - you have to make yourselves heard. The management are in a difficult position - they don't what to pi££ off their Landlords.   

5 hours ago, skydog said:

Indeed... It was 2007 when he told us we would see the new stadium going up next to Smallmead during the 2008 season. I do believe that was also one of the early promises to Swindon fans before they decided to rebuild the existing stadium. I hope with all my heart Swindon doesn't go the same way.

I'm still waiting for the new Long Eaton stadium... last I heard was about 20 years ago when the were just doting the i's and crossing the t's... believe it when your in it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm still waiting for the new Long Eaton stadium... last I heard was about 20 years ago when the were just doting the i's and crossing the t's... believe it when your in it

Those i's and t's are very time consuming, I'm sure you'll have your new stadium soon...

• Haha 1

I see unlike Poole, the dogs are still running at Swindon. The stadium is still operational, so speedway should have a chance of returning, if it remains open.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

Another month gone by, what progress has there been? 

Absolutely nothing going by what i saw on the tv recently, greyhounds from Swindon were on sky sports, grass banks on the 1st and 2nd bends were all overgrown, same on the back straight where what is left of the stand looks derelict, all i could see of the home straight  was an old looking corrugated roof, all in all not looking good considering we are into August come the weekend so seems little chance of  the promised new works happening this year, if i was a Swindon fan i would be very worried.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2021 at 2:40 PM, BuxtonTiger said:

Another month gone by, what progress has there been? 

I live locally and can confirm that nothing has happened. No one is surprised to be honest. Tomlinson (local MP) has stopped answering questions when you ask him anything on twitter. He couldn't wait to come out and say he had saved speedway in Swindon but now he realises he has been made a mug of by Osborne he isn't saying a word. I suspect enough houses have been built now that they have made a tidy profit so they can afford to let the land go to ruin for a few a years and then appeal to the council that they may as well build more houses up there at that point. It was the plan all along no doubt. Feel sorry for the speedway people like Rosco and Lee Kilby. Speedway is finished in Swindon.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I live locally and can confirm that nothing has happened. No one is surprised to be honest. Tomlinson (local MP) has stopped answering questions when you ask him anything on twitter. He couldn't wait to come out and say he had saved speedway in Swindon but now he realises he has been made a mug of by Osborne he isn't saying a word. I suspect enough houses have been built now that they have made a tidy profit so they can afford to let the land go to ruin for a few a years and then appeal to the council that they may as well build more houses up there at that point. It was the plan all along no doubt. Feel sorry for the speedway people like Rosco and Lee Kilby. Speedway is finished in Swindon.

....nothing would surprise me about Osborne having endured him at Cowley when the SOS Committee stepped in to save the stadium from re-development.