British Speedway Forum

44 minutes ago, topsoil said:

In an ideal world, yes. But good luck finding enough riders of a similar standard, willing to ride in this country, to make 'one big league'. Unless, of course, you need some tracks to close?

Well  sadly we tend to  be losing 3 or 4 a year clubs a year so it wont be long when  we can . Then riders can choose what they want to do 

12 hours ago, orion said:

Depends how you look at it ,. imo is the the uk should have  one big league and you should only  be allowed  to  sign for one uk club and  not join any outside the uk .. meaning we can run 7 days a week with no double up riders etc . Surely thats the way forward .

Also, good luck holding on to riders wanting to ride in more lucrative leagues if you say you don't want them to join a club outside the uk. You won't be left with many riders. 

19 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. CVS has said on numerous occasions that he will not race in a 6 team league. A shortened fixture list has worked this year

beacuse of covid, but long term it is unviable. CVS knows the fans won't support it and the lack of variety is awful. He want's a bigger league which would be beneficial to everyone, simple as that really.

I don't disagree but Ladbrokes expect him to race at the highest possible level with all the costs that brings, a 6 team league or shortened season may impact on gates overall and rent commitments with the landlord which realistically increases the viability risk. Wolves has always been a well run club but heavy losses are not an option consequently a shot across the bows before the AGM will alert the rest of the BSPL and may result in a greater share out of TV money to keep the top league in business.

10 hours ago, topsoil said:

I would prefer British teams to concentrate on the British leagues

British teams full of foreign riders? British teams made up of riders that ride for other clubs?

3 hours ago, iainb said:

British teams full of foreign riders? British teams made up of riders that ride for other clubs?

Every team in every country has 'foreign' riders probably, that doesn't bother me. Neither does the fact that they double up / ride in other countries. For me it's a necessary evil because demand outweighs supply.

58 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Every team in every country has 'foreign' riders probably, that doesn't bother me. Neither does the fact that they double up / ride in other countries. For me it's a necessary evil because demand outweighs supply.

But a team competing in another league does? Interesting...

On 10/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, orion said:

Depends how you look at it ,. imo is the the uk should have  one big league and you should only  be allowed  to  sign for one uk club and  not join any outside the uk .. meaning we can run 7 days a week with no double up riders etc . Surely thats the way forward .

100%...

But an unrealistic utopia sadly..

Promoter Egos will prevent an even share of resource so each team is genuinely "equal" and every team's fans will feel they have a chance and worth following..

Riders will want to ride 60 times or so a season like the current system allows, for many five times a night, with guests each night being required being the icing on the cake which fixed nights make available to them...

It should have been done a long time ago...

Being in charge of your own destiny, and never beholding to other leagues or employees...

Sadly, wont ever happen..

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 6:10 AM, topsoil said:

Also, good luck holding on to riders wanting to ride in more lucrative leagues if you say you don't want them to join a club outside the uk. You won't be left with many riders. 

Depends What is more lucrative or more safe ... What we tend forget is that before these riders go to these more lucrative leagues they have to cut there teeth in the uk .

It's maybe more lucrative for Woffy and Lambert to ride once a week in Sweden and Poland but not so sure about other riders of a lesser standard . i'm sure it would a tough choice for many .

On 10/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, orion said:

I normally agree with your posts- but that hope is just madness. You would have enough riders for about a 6 team league and the standard would be National league.

27 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I normally agree with your posts- but that hope is just madness. You would have enough riders for about a 6 team league and the standard would be National league.

Really ?  we have only got 17 teams left now with 3 or 4 in doubt ...how many riders ride at the moment overall in both leagues ? near a 100 ? sure we will lose a few of them but the numbers x riders x clubs are not that far off   ... i admit its a bit of a pipe dream but by the same token its not as impossible as it sounds the way we are going .

In a couple of years time we could well be down to 10 -12 teams and then it will be one big league with no double up riders anyhow . one way or a another that part of its going to happen  

Edited by orion

1 minute ago, orion said:

Really ?  we have only got 17 teams left now with 3 or 4 in doubt ...how many riders ride at the moment overall in both leagues ? near a 100 ? sure we will lose a few of them but the numbers x riders x clubs are not that far off   ... i admit its a bit of a pipe dream but by the same token its not as impossible as it sounds the way we are going .

In a couple of years time we could well be down to 10 -12 teams and then it will be one big league with no double up riders anyhow . one way or a another its going to happen  

Do you really think a rider will be happy trying to  make  a  living just riding for 1 team in the UK- pay rates will go trough the roof and teams will go skint. 

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Do you really think a rider will be happy trying to  make  a  living just riding for 1 team in the UK- pay rates will go trough the roof and teams will go skint. 

That's the problem with speedway, riders expecting to make a living. It needs to be an amateur sport, with the chance of some prize money as the 'icing on the cake'. And teams are skint now! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, racers and royals said:

The best we can hope for is maybe an eight team top league with all riders doubling down..

It is clear the riders need to have (at least) two teams to make it pay as a "professional rider" and with no chance of them becoming "semi pro" anytime soon what we have as the status quo will remain...

It clearly doesn't work from any perspective if the sport is to be ever taken seriously from fans and media but it is what it is...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

A lot of the riders do that now .. if there  not happy then get another job 

Edited by orion