British Speedway Forum

I was talking to a group from Swindon (non speedway fans) yesterday who gave me an update regarding the new stadium at Swindon. Apparently the old stadium is about to be demolished but it's not clear when work starts on the replacement one? I hope that this doesn't turn into another Reading based on false hopes. Anybody any news (I can't find any reliable information) as Blunsdon holds many memories for yours truly?

My tennis club has just got planning permission to build houses on part of their grounds. One of the requirements imposed by the council in granting planning permission was that the new floodlight courts must be completed before any of the houses can be occupied. Surely the Swindon planning committee would imposed similar restriction on the building of the new stadium.

There is a restriction that no more than 200 houses can be occupied until a contract is signed to build the new stadium.

As I thought! It's all a bit 'fudgie' and nothing has really been decided despite reassurances from certain parties!

There is a restriction that no more than 200 houses can be occupied until a contract is signed to build the new stadium.

Does anyone honestly think that in a country with a housing crisis, that it will be remotely difficult to get that little caveat about a stadium overturned? Imagine an empty housing estate waiting for people to occupy the houses and some Councillors telling them, "NO! You can't house people until a speedway stadium is built"- yeah right!

The developers have got Swindon's Planning Dept wrapped around their little finger with that kind of emotional blackmail tactic.

As a speedway fan I hope it won't come down to that, but in the real world you just know that kind of thing could well happen.

Yeah, Reading all over again IMHO. All promises, and probably zero delivery.

• Like 1

Does anyone honestly think that in a country with a housing crisis, that it will be remotely difficult to get that little caveat about a stadium overturned? Imagine an empty housing estate waiting for people to occupy the houses and some Councillors telling them, "NO! You can't house people until a speedway stadium is built"- yeah right!

The developers have got Swindon's Planning Dept wrapped around their little finger with that kind of emotional blackmail tactic.

As a speedway fan I hope it won't come down to that, but in the real world you just know that kind of thing could well happen.

Yeah, Reading all over again IMHO. All promises, and probably zero delivery.

It has Reading wrote all over it tbh

I sincerely hope that you are both wrong.

Like, maybe, an idiot, I took the Statement about a new Track at face value.

It is inconceivable that Swindon doesn't have a Speedway Track. They have a great History.

Edited by The White Knight

Looks like Swindon Council are set to grant planning permission for housing on the small piece of land directly opposite the entrance to the current stadium:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/13954567.More_houses_set_to_be_built_in_North_Swindon/

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future Stadium UK argue that building a motorsports venue in the middle of houses isn't economically viable.

Does Swindon really have a housing crisis?

Yes peeps mainly from Berkshire/Oxfordshire want to buy houses in the Swindon area as on average they are over 100 grand cheaper than Reading and Oxford. Then they try to commute back east on increasingly choked-up roads.

• Like 2

Greyhound stadium at Wallyford, near Edinburgh got planning permission on the provision that a number of houses were built first. Houses built, some steel work for stadium goes up, more houses built, no more stadium built, more and more houses built, still no stadium. Every couple of years the guy pops up with "Work to resume on stadium" Still nothing, this has been ongoing for a few years now. By the way no motor sports permitted.

I feel sorry for the Swindon fans who may have been mislead and for speedway as a whole to see another team disappear. Regrettably a pattern has already emerged and it is unbelievably naive for those responsible for Swindon speedway to take at face value the nonsense being spoken by those who have no vested interest in seeing the sport continue. Those in charge hang your heads in shame for what you have done.

• Like 1

How about a statement from Terry Russell? Isn't he the man in charge at Swindon?

Does Swindon really have a housing crisis?

Of course it does. It has been made clear by Government that there is a national shortage of houses. Get real!

Yes peeps mainly from Berkshire/Oxfordshire want to buy houses in the Swindon area as on average they are over 100 grand cheaper than Reading and Oxford. Then they try to commute back east on increasingly choked-up roads.

This is a confirmation of what I said in the previous comment.