British Speedway Forum

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Tell you something Steve i never ever thought that a bigger track would deteriorate as much in a short space of time as the Abbey has.I believe the straights are to big  for the  bikes now and if this track is shaped on the Somerset model it has to help to provide better racing.

I visited Somerset once but saw no action as the meeting was postponed due to a water logged track! Did looked good however.

13 hours ago, geoff58 said:

yes completely different regarding NSS so no comparison still doesn't answer the so called mystery pre-built new grandstand in storage in wales ?? storage costs if there is one ??? why tell fans that it is in storage and if it is who has paid for it ????????????

No comparison in regards to size of project, but huge comparison in relation to the prophets of doom that fill these pages. Your other point I have highlighted on another thread that those comments have come from Stadium owners rather than the Club.

• Like 1

Great to see work on the track has at least started, hopefully helps produce better racing and crowd numbers increase.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedy swindon pete said:

This is what I’d assumed about these track changes, the club needed to push on with things and change the track layout to try and rejuvenate the project a bit. The old track certainly wasn’t fit for purpose any more and the entertainment value had gone through the floor. If the club can keep going with healthy enough attendances and general support, it makes it harder for the council to say that the site needs to be put out of its misery because only a couple of hundred of people are turning up a week and no one cares any more. I’m almost certain thats what would have happened with the old track and was Osbourne’s plan to bleed any support for the speedway dry. Hopefully with a better track and a competitive team, attendances and support will stay healthy....it’s then up to Osbourne and his cronies to fulfil their side of the bargain and put some sort of new stadium. If not, the elephant in the room over osbourne and this mythical stadium just keeps getting bigger.

Sadly I think the club and council are still ultimately just being strung along though. 

I don’t know why Geoff58 is sounding off as if he’s just uncovered some inside scoop.....we’ve known all this for years mate... it doesn’t need rubbing in any more.

eh no inside scoop it has all been put out there in black/white by the club council rosco russell who ever since the farewell meeting in 2015 new stadium plans etc !! all that's being done is track shortening so more houses can be built FACT !!

38 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

eh no inside scoop it has all been put out there in black/white by the club council rosco russell who ever since the farewell meeting in 2015 new stadium plans etc !! all that's being done is track shortening so more houses can be built FACT !!

More house's will be built but touch wood the speedway will still be aloud to continue.My take is as long as there is still speedway to go to twice a month i am more than happy the new stadium great IF????? it happens but i am happy to plod on with the tired old version.That is why if they can get the new shape of the track right good racing can develope again and that  might compensate a little towards having to put up with a tired old stadium.

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

The shortening of the track alone will not allow the housing to be built. Read the planning conditions. 

As Sid states if we get better racing on a shorter track, that is good.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

The shortening of the track alone will not allow the housing to be built. Read the planning conditions

Have you read the planning conditions, as I cannot find any conditions or even approval attached to the planning application?

The only minutes for the planning committee referred to Section 106 money, nothing to do with conditions related to the stadium/housing.

57 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

The shortening of the track alone will not allow the housing to be built. Read the planning conditions. 

one of your fans posted on here some plans which clearly showed the houses would be on old bends 1/2 and car park hence why they are taking track back and shortening it !! the houses will be as close as they are in the pits now !!clearly what it shows on them plans ???  to many change of plans who knows fully what is going on ?

31 minutes ago, MattK said:

Have you read the planning conditions, as I cannot find any conditions or even approval attached to the planning application?

The only minutes for the planning committee referred to Section 106 money, nothing to do with conditions related to the stadium/housing.

I know and often speak to members of the planning committee who dealt with the stadium area application which is how I know what conditions have been set before any more houses can be built.  Stadia have to complete all work on the stadium and deal fully with the previous planning conditions agreed by the planners before any more houses can be started.

This was stipulated at the last planning meeting when permission was finally given to revert back to the existing stadium and for work to start. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Who designed the new track shape  and who is doing all the track remedial work.

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Not sure but I hope that the Speedway management are supervising the work, as we would not want a repeat of what happened at Belle Vue. 

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

Not sure but I hope that the Speedway management are supervising the work, as we would not want a repeat of what happened at Belle Vue. 

Exactly my thinking, and the reason for asking.:approve:

From the photo's only, has all this work been done in 24-48 hours? Has the new area been allowed to settle yet?

27 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

From the photo's only, has all this work been done in 24-48 hours? Has the new area been allowed to settle yet?

The digging out of the grass in the position of the new bend, yes. Would not think it needs to settle as it has always been there. 

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

The website suggests that the contractors are appointed and overseen by the Russells - with the dog track alterations being done by a different contractor, presumably appointed by Stadia UK.