Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Speedway and dog racing are two sports in rapid decline. Why would anyone invest millions of pounds on a new stadium that would take years to recoup their initial investment.

Speedway and dog racing are two sports in rapid decline. Why would anyone invest millions of pounds on a new stadium that would take years to recoup their initial investment.

In order to get planning to build houses which will make them even more than the stadium will cost.

• Like 1

Without the promise of a new stadium they not have got the planning to build the houses that will make them more money that the stadium would cost ..of course if you then don't built it even better .

Without the promise of a new stadium they not have got the planning to build the houses that will make them more money that the stadium would cost ..of course if you then don't built it even better .

...or to put it another way in simple terms...planning permission for a new stadium was only granted on the premise that new houses were part of the proposed development?

Edited by steve roberts

...or to put it another way in simple terms...planning permission for a new stadium was only granted on the premise that new houses were part of the proposed development?

Yes but the stupid council should have stipulated that the stadium was built before a single house was.

• Like 1

Not being nasty here but it would not be the first time where the league champions are not running the next season. (I do believe you will beat Wolves now)

No, Reading were League Champions when Tilehurst closed and was redeveloped in 1973/74. That might in part explain the rush to get them operating again in 1975.

• Like 1

The silence re the new stadium is deafening and most certainly worrying.

We need a statement from the promotion / developers

No, Reading were League Champions when Tilehurst closed and was redeveloped in 1973/74. That might in part explain the rush to get them operating again in 1975.

If I recall they were hoping to get things ready for the 1974 season but what with the oil crisis and the three day week which threw a spanner in the works the licence was put on ice for a year.

Yes but the stupid council should have stipulated that the stadium was built before a single house was.

I was attempting to simplify orion's strange way of explaining the situation after I had deciphered what he had written!

The silence re the new stadium is deafening and most certainly worrying.

We need a statement from the promotion / developers

Not much point as the fans have been given so much bull excretia that no one would now believe whatever they said.

I will not assume speedway will run even if they started building it this winter and will only believe speedway will continue when the first meeting is held in it.

It must be noted that the more houses that have been built the more people there are able to object to it.

• Like 2

Not much point as the fans have been given so much bull excretia that no one would now believe whatever they said.

I will not assume speedway will run even if they started building it this winter and will only believe speedway will continue when the first meeting is held in it.

It must be noted that the more houses that have been built the more people there are able to object to it.

Therein lies the big problem.

The only clause was that a maximum of 200 houses could be occupied before contacts for the new stadium were in place. Contracts were "signed" a while ago and suddenly lots of unexpected problem arose.

There is a rumour that the old stadium cannot be demolished before the new stadium is in place, but no one has ever produced this is writing.

The only clause was that a maximum of 200 houses could be occupied before contacts for the new stadium were in place. Contracts were "signed" a while ago and suddenly lots of unexpected problem arose.

There is a rumour that the old stadium cannot be demolished before the new stadium is in place, but no one has ever produced this is writing.

Justin Tomlinson told me this is an iron clad clause. Should you trust a politician when hes campaigning for a general election?! Months on and nothing has happened so im starting to fear the worst

Would one of those problems be that the Contractor suddenly realised that it would be more lucrative to build Houses rather than a Stadium?

or

Lack of money.

or

Both.

I was told last week that the new track isnt going to be built but the current track is going to be made smaller but I think this is all bull and its just going to be strung out until the critical point and then the end of swindon speedway and GA move onto their next victims

Is another farewell meeting planned this season?😨

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1