British Speedway Forum

As long as there is dog racing I can see the speedway continuing in the present stadium. The stadium is fit for purpose but looking tired.

But won't get any better. You need to get up a working party before next season and go and spruce the place up a bit.

Edited by Starman2006

Definitely riding at the Shabbey next year , have been told the current talk is that the current stadium will stay and be taken in a bit to allow the build of houses in the small car park by the main gates in , I reckon the land proposed for the never going to happen new stadium will be incorporated into the out of town shopping complex which will be built with no drainage issues...any spare paint anyone?

• Like 1

No, Reading were League Champions when Tilehurst closed and was redeveloped in 1973/74. That might in part explain the rush to get them operating again in 1975.

I was on about another team that closed after winning a league. I wasn't referring to Reading. Well done to the Robin's and good luck with the new stadium build as I quite like my occasional visits to the Abbey

Ellesmere Port won the 1985 National League and closed immediately after

That is the team I was on about. A great team with the Owen brother's

I was on about another team that closed after winning a league. I wasn't referring to Reading. Well done to the Robin's and good luck with the new stadium build as I quite like my occasional visits to the Abbey

That is the team I was on about. A great team with the Owen brother's

Only Joe rode for Ellesmere Port - for just that final 1985 season.

The Gunners had been closed for a few years prior to Mervyn Porter's brave attempt to re-establish the sport at Thornton Road but the crowds just weren't there, even with a championship-winning team.

Only Joe rode for Ellesmere Port - for just that final 1985 season.

The Gunners had been closed for a few years prior to Mervyn Porter's brave attempt to re-establish the sport at Thornton Road but the crowds just weren't there, even with a championship-winning team.

Richie Owen rode for the Gunners

Richie Owen rode for the Gunners

I think he meant Tom, don't you? Richie's role was rather minor.

all the above is very interesting however ae the topic is Swindon Stadium, any updates on the progress or lack of

• Like 1

all the above is very interesting however ae the topic is Swindon Stadium, any updates on the progress or lack of

All conversations drift away from the main topic sometimes so there's no need for that attitude. If there WAS any news on Swindon stadium it would certainly be here now.

In future I will submit my posts to you for approval of course.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

I think he meant Tom, don't you? Richie's role was rather minor.

45 appearances in 1985 suggests otherwise (4.78 average).

• Like 1

Sorry, I forgot to insert the words 'not' and 'dream on'.

All conversations drift away from the main topic sometimes so there's no need for that attitude. If there WAS any news on Swindon stadium it would certainly be here now.

In future I will submit my posts to you for approval of course.

Someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning

• Like 1