Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
robert72

Tai Should Never Ride For Team Gb Again

Rememberance Day should never have been mentioned in the context of this Thread. That is just plain wrong.

With respect to our National Anthem - Tai has been brought up and spent more than half his life living in Australia - is it all that surprising that he has a lot of affection for the place. Aussies are, in general, an irreverent lot anyway and Tai has obviously picked up some of this irreverence. I believe he has already stated that he wishes to return to Australia when his Speedway career is over, so I would wish him well.

In the meantime why don't we all take full advantage of the fact that he is British, is winning World Championships for Great Britain, is riding for Great Britain and not hold it against him that he feels Australian. I don't find that a surprise given his upbringing.

Personnally - I am glad that he is riding for Great Britatain and that he is bringing a bit of glory to British Speedway.

GO TAI !!!

• Like 8

more importantly i think his and everybody else's ire should be reserved for those who make themselves unavailable for selection for GB - at least Woffinden turns up and rides

• Like 1

Isn't the Austrailian anthem a song/ anthem about the Prince of Wales they adopted??

Advance Australia fair is their anthem

He does seem to show a lack of respect.

as Billy Connolly once remarked about Daley Thompson's whistling through the anthem at a medal ceremony " He was probably bored "

How many British soldiers die fighting for our country and Team GB captain jokes around when our anthem is played is disrespectful.

How many Australian & New Zealand soldiers died for Britain in the two world wars?

• Like 2

Nothing interesting about it. Tai rides for team GB because he is British. He was born and lived his early years in Britain, he was born to British parents has British grandparents and great Grandparents. As a consequence he has a British passport. Despite this Rob pillock there is no debate, he is British.

Not sure what your point is "Despite this Rob pillock there is no debate" Seems a very patronising view of the late Rob Woffenden...but than what do I know!

At leat Australia have an anthem that is actually about their country, not some outdated monarchy . If North Korea forced people to sing about how great their leader is we'd be mocking them , but in this country we are quite happy to do it ourselves, time for a new anthem altogether I say, one that is actually about the UK

Outdated Monarchy! you pathetic little person!! The Queen has given her whole life to serving this county and has been the best role model anyone could ask for. She has remained politically neutral. When our national anthem is played I feel proud to be British. Long may we have a monarchy and long may Her Majesty reign.

• Like 5

Not sure what your point is "Despite this Rob pillock there is no debate" Seems a very patronising view of the late Rob Woffenden...but than what do I know!

Just re-read the above comment...I gather it refers to the originator of the thread! Not very clear which is why I replied above! The point I was originally trying to make is that speedway is littered with riders now, and in the past, whereby they represented nations that they weren't born. Charlie Monk being the most weird representing Scotland although he was Australian without any ties to the old country! I also recall that Mitch Shirra could have represented Scotland also (father was Scottish?) but that's the quirkiness of dual nationalities and how far it can be stretched!

....steve roberts.....Just re-read the above comment...I gather it refers to the originator of the thread! Not very clear which is why I replied above!

You've not been back for very long yet so it's understandable you got confused. You'll soon realise why he's classed as a pillock ~ amongst other things. Pillock is quite mild actually. :lol:

How are you doing anyway Steve? I think we met at Oxford a few times, although supporting different teams. Nice to see you on here again. It's been a long time.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

He's young - he'll learn.

I hope.

That is NO excuse!
  • Like 2

Watching Tai sing the Australian anthem with so much pride then joke around through the British Anthem just showed his true colours and he was so disrespectful to our country and those who represent it.

Time we dropped him as what does he really do for British speedway ?

forget the your a tai hater, this post is about being a True and Proud Brit which is Not what tai is and it was clear to see.

Calm down son, I hear that Tai has been spotted on a beach in Oz sporting a nice pair of Union Jack shorts.

You've not been back for very long yet so it's understandable you got confused. You'll soon realise why he's classed as a pillock ~ amongst other things. Pillock is quite mild actually. :lol:

How are you doing anyway Steve? I think we met at Oxford a few times, although supporting different teams. Nice to see you on here again. It's been a long time.

Hi there!

Yes we met up at Oxford...I remember the dogs! Can't comment on modern speedway (haven't a clue what's it all about to be honest!) as I haven't been since I left Oxford to live in York 11 years ago.

Regards

Ps I recall a few 'pillocks' who used to comment on the old Oxford web-site (not mentioning names) but generally it was all good fun and taken in the right spirit!

• Like 1

At leat Australia have an anthem that is actually about their country, not some outdated monarchy.

The second verse of 'Advance Australia Fair'...

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,

To trace wide oceans o'er,

True British courage bore him on,

Til he landed on our shore.

Then here he raised Old England's flag,

The standard of the brave;

"With all her faults we love her still"

"Britannia rules the wave."

In joyful strains then let us sing

Advance Australia fair.

Barely a mention of Australia there. ;)

• Like 2

The second verse of 'Advance Australia Fair'...

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,

To trace wide oceans o'er,

True British courage bore him on,

Til he landed on our shore.

Then here he raised Old England's flag,

The standard of the brave;

"With all her faults we love her still"

"Britannia rules the wave."

In joyful strains then let us sing

Advance Australia fair.

Barely a mention of Australia there. ;)

Yeah, but those lyrics were never included in the version used for the Aussie National Anthem. The second verse of the anthem is:

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross

We'll toil with hearts and hands

To make this Commonwealth of ours

Renowned of all the lands

For those who've come across the seas

We've boundless plains to share

With courage let us all combine

To Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,

Advance Australia Fair.

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

Seems bob72 missed Tai thanking all his fans BACK HOME.

• Like 2