British Speedway Forum
junior fan

National League Agm

I can't see the points limit getting much higher than it was this year. With increased numbers in the league there won't be enough top riders to go around

How many points would it need to be for Rye to run the same team if they run .

Junior

I can't see the points limit getting much higher than it was this year. With increased numbers in the league there won't be enough top riders to go around

The problem last season was the limit was too low, many teams included 3pters which lets be honest were not good enough for league racing. At the Brummies for eample we had Adam Ellis who was the best Nl rider imo, in the same team as someone like Harvie Banks who struggled big time. If they reduce the points again even with the inclusion of Belle Vue and IOW, then theres gonna be a mad scramble for 3pters to fill the bottom end of teams and its inevitable some teams will have riders that arnt ready.

One of the biggest problems with British Speedway in my opinion is the gap between the Premier League and the National League. There are currently riders that are racing in the PL that you can consider as Elite League heat leaders but how many NL riders would be classed as good enough as being PL heat leaders?. Its fair to say the PL is closer to the EL than the NL. Look at rider like Ben Morley, he is one of the top riders in this league that was banging in double figire hauls for Kent reguarly but when he rode in the PL he struggled to score. I think the NL top boys arnt tested enough and as a result they find progression to the Pl harder. Would decreasing the points limit solve the problem?

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 4

How many points would it need to be for Rye to run the same team if they run .

Junior

rye finished on a total of 42.58

AGM is on 2nd December

I would think 39-40

I'm hearing 40 , hope it's raised to keep the better riders in , and keep the product entertaining for the stand alone clubs to draw in supporters.

Junior

I'm hearing 40 , hope it's raised to keep the better riders in , and keep the product entertaining for the stand alone clubs to draw in supporters.

Junior

Whenever you have young inexperienced riders learning their trade you will always get entertaining racing because they give it everything they have got.

38 would be fine. Each team can accommodate a decent number one but the emphasis is still, as it should be in this league, developing young British riders. Stand alone teams can still build a side to try win the league with a low points limit, they have to accept that they are in the third tier and part and parcel of that is that rider development is of a great importance.

• Like 2

Definately needs to be a couple of points higher this season you should not have to carry more than two 3 pointers..It was demoralising for the fans at kent knowing we could not win because of the points limit and unable to strengthen the side..

Agree with the concept of developing young British talent but it's counter productive to develop riders like Zach W and then having a points limit so low that they can't be accommodated in a team to continue their development.

Maybe the Polish system needs to be looked at whereby if you are good enough you are guaranteed a junior team place up to the age of 21 irrespective of your actual average.

• Like 1

Definately needs to be a couple of points higher this season you should not have to carry more than two 3 pointers..It was demoralising for the fans at kent knowing we could not win because of the points limit and unable to strengthen the side..

Kent got team building wrong last year, one of the top three at the start of the year (Baseby) shouldn't have been signed and more points freed up at the bottom end. Then the persistence with poor riders at the bottom meant they were always on a hiding to nothing.

Agree with the concept of developing young British talent but it's counter productive to develop riders like Zach W and then having a points limit so low that they can't be accommodated in a team to continue their development.

Maybe the Polish system needs to be looked at whereby if you are good enough you are guaranteed a junior team place up to the age of 21 irrespective of your actual average.

It is certainly something to look at, hopefully for a rider of Zach's undoubted talent he'll be contemplating riding EL and PL in the next couple of years and not need the NL.