British Speedway Forum
junior fan

National League Agm

Kent may not be the best place for a meeting that often has multiple re-runs and tends to over run

Surely it should go to the National Speedway Stadium?

So how come Eastbourne didn't win the Elite League very often if that's your argument? How about Lakeside and their 'trick track' ? And Rye House and their tight track?

Because at EL level, Poole, Swindon, Coventry etc hoover up all the expensive foreign talent, leaving many other teams to feed off the scraps, additionally the trick track nature of Arlington is far worse at NL level due to the inexperienced nature of the majority of the riders, handing a massive advantage to those who ride it every week, at least EL riders will have some experience of such tracks and even then a number still can't hack it.

If experienced EL middle order riders have trouble with certain trick tracks, how in any way is it right to expect a NL 3 pointer riding the place for the first time to stand a chance ?.

Edited by david2905
  • Like 1

I have no doubt it will be another cracking season of racing but ultimately even if Birmingham finish top as we may well do-- over 2 legs Eastbourne will always win!

Because at EL level, Poole, Swindon, Coventry etc hoover up all the expensive foreign talent, leaving many other teams to feed off the scraps, additionally the trick track nature of Arlington is far worse at NL level due to the inexperienced nature of the majority of the riders, handing a massive advantage to those who ride it every week, at least EL riders will have some experience of such tracks and even then a number still can't hack it.

If experienced EL middle order riders have trouble with certain trick tracks, how in any way is it right to expect a NL 3 pointer riding the place for the first time to stand a chance ?.

May I remind you of the Buxton pact earlier this year? They turned up and ran us right to the wire we were losing all the way until Brad and Ben finally switched on. Also Cradley and Birmingham haven't done too badly this season at our place.

What is the solution then? Close Eastbourne? The three pointers will indeed struggle, as will ours at away venues. A large number of National League riders will have ridden there now so should improve, and since we're in the NL for the long term they'll have plenty of chances to get used to it.

What is the solution then? Close Eastbourne? The three pointers will indeed struggle, as will ours at away venues. A large number of National League riders will have ridden there now so should improve, and since we're in the NL for the long term they'll have plenty of chances to get used to it.

The solution was to leave it as it was and not decided the league in play offs ---but won by the best team over the season not a four team debacle at the end!!

• Like 3

Im not too impressed with the AGM, pleased with the 40 point limit and the introduction of the IOW and Colts but a few bad decisions. Firstly don't agree with the scrapping of the tactical rule, I know its not everyones cup of tea but what happens if a team gets off to such a good start, more and more meetings will be over by Heat 8. Secondly and its what infuriated me the most is the introduction of the playoffs, I hate them with a passion. The Elite League has to have them because of Sky and yes they create a bit of end of season drama but they are so unfair. If a side is top of the table after 20 odd matches, they have won the league on MERIT. I cant understand why the promotors have bought them back, we only confirmed the league title in early September, when for a long while it was between 3 clubs and the gold cup was I thought was a success. Another thing, so if Peterborough and the Brummies are riding the same night, its Pboro who get to have Tom Perry. If so that is wrong because even though its great the best NL riders are getting chances in the league above, this league is their bread and butter. I can plenty of matches next year full of guests and R/R.

Disappointed with the promotors

Edited by Brummie Kev

As BrummieStormer says, immediate best decision would have been to leave the champions as first past the post, longer term Eastbourne should really look at rebuilding their track to a more conventional shape.

Mention has been made of team running Eastbourne close at home, how much of this was due to some decent performances by heatleaders though ?, the Greenwoods and Ellis's can probably give it a fair go, but what did the away sides tail end score in these meetings ?, tracks like Perry Barr and Kings Lynn are much more typical and far easier to suss out after a first ride and score some points.

Edited by david2905

The consensus on here is that the play offs are an unfair way of deciding the league champs So the only reason they are back in is that some promoters think they will produce more revenue for them at the end of the season..A separate cup competition between the top 4 teams would do the same..So why ???..They actually get something right for once,, then they change it,,I dont get it!!

• Like 1

The good the bad and the indifferent sums up this year's AGM for me.

The good - 40 point limit is a little higher than I expected. That'll help teams accommodate riders on higher averages and means everyone should have an out-and-out number one, assuming they choose to build their team that way.

The bad - The PO's return. As a fan I much preferred what we had this past season. However, I have it on good authority that the gate receipts tell a different story with less revenue from the cup meetings last year compared with PO meetings in previous years - hence the POs return.

The indifferent - The tactical rides. I don't like double points rides so I'm glad to see the back of them, hopefully for good. I am an advocate of the old style tac rides but understand the argument against it with heat leaders coming in and taking easy (er) rides in heat 8 which takes vital track time from your number 2 and/or reserve. A solution to this would have been quite simple to bring in. No tactical rides in the first 4 heats so every rider has had at least one ride. No tactical rides in heat 8 or heat 14. This means your number 2 and reserve are guaranteed their ride in heat 8 and your second string and reserve are guaranteed a ride in a potentially vital heat 14 which prevents top heavy teams having heat leaders in all the latter heats. Other than that a tactical ride in any heat in which the home or away team is 6 or more behind - maximum 2 tac rides. All of that said I don't car enough about this compared with other issues within the sport to make a big deal of it.

The recent grumbles about the Eastie track are daft in my opinion. It's a major plus of racing in Britain that we have so many different tracks in terms or size, shape and surface. I don't think Eastie is even the most tricky for new riders to get the hang of anyway. That is surely Buxton? It's uphill, downhill and off-camber in about 5 different directions all at the same time and even has a trench running across turn 3!! The surface is like nothing I've seen at a track in this country too (though I've not been to too many tracks) - rock hard with some gravel on top about sums it up. As a fan it's everything that is both right and wrong with the sport. The track in terms I've stated is all wrong and the facilities... well they haven't got any! But make no mistake, I love it. It raw and stripped back to what we all, as a hardcore fan base, love about the sport. It's all about the racing and nothing more or less than that. You can stand close to the action and the chips are fantastic. :D

And to end on the biggest and best news - It's fantastic to welcome back BV and IoW. Having them officially confirmed makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

• Like 2

Like others before me have posted, I also hate the play-off's with a passion, they just don't seem to listen to pubic opinion at times.

Fabulous news about the Isle of Wight & Belle Vue, I just can't wait for the National League season to start.

• Like 1

Well Well Well 40 points is great means there are enough riders to go around with the points limit lifted, happy to see new team in the League and i am looking forward to going to both venues, I have to say i am happy with Black and White helmet colour out the window as i would hate to think that someone as good as Ellis in heats 13, (heat 14 black and white) heat 15 could come and turn you over by 2 points.

Eastbourne is what they call a trick track but got to say they are not going to change it so we have to put up with it, Likes of Mildenhall and Buxton and kent last year would have something to play for if it was the play offs, you need to sell every meeting to the public. If your unlucky to be at the bottom then its hard to sell anything but just a little bit of hope to get to the play offs is better then nothing.

Think it was a good AGM but i have not seen anyway to save the clubs any money?

Another thing, so if Peterborough and the Brummies are riding the same night, its Pboro who get to have Tom Perry. If so that is wrong because even though its great the best NL riders are getting chances in the league above, this league is their bread and butter. I can plenty of matches next year full of guests and R/R.

Don't agree with this. Birmingham have been in all leagues and have seen this doubling up malarkey from all angles. We've been on the good end and the bad end of the stick. Nobody complained when Tomasz Piszcz was on fire for the Brummies and eclipsed Jason Lyons as our #1 in 2009. Nobody complained then when the Brummies had priority over Belle Vue, who he was also on the books of... On the other hand, when the Brummies were in the EL, no-one was at all happy when NL teams had priority over Josh Auty and others. Weren't Brummies fans complaining then, about the absurdity of the EL team having to suffer because of lower league committments? Now it appears that the boot is on the other foot. And guess what? the complaints keep on rollin'...

And who cared about what was best for the riders and their personal development? What good did it do anyone getting dumbed down to the lowest standard of racing whenever both options could have been open to them?

We have to play fair to the riders and accept that for their develoment, they have to race at the highest level possible. For all that anyone says, the NL is in essence a development league. A feeder league for riders to get a grounding and progress to better things. If Tom Perry has the chance to develop late in his career (like Charles Wright did) then we should support him and wish him all the best of luck.

• Like 2

As BrummieStormer says, immediate best decision would have been to leave the champions as first past the post, longer term Eastbourne should really look at rebuilding their track to a more conventional shape.

Mention has been made of team running Eastbourne close at home, how much of this was due to some decent performances by heatleaders though ?, the Greenwoods and Ellis's can probably give it a fair go, but what did the away sides tail end score in these meetings ?, tracks like Perry Barr and Kings Lynn are much more typical and far easier to suss out after a first ride and score some points.

Gives teams experience of more technical tracks. Stop moaning it's still speedway! ignore the scoreline the Knings Lynn meeting was a great meeting as most of them were. Perhaps you should come and have a look sometime. Edited by Alex2000