Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
junior fan

National League Agm

I'm sure Eastbourne would have won the title if the play off system---and with us losing out to Poole after finishing top of the EL losing that way would have been a little hard to take so i'm dead against play offs---even if Eastbourne finish top next season.

I'm sure Eastbourne would have won the title if the play off system---and with us losing out to Poole after finishing top of the EL losing that way would have been a little hard to take so i'm dead against play offs---even if Eastbourne finish top next season.

Most Eastbourne fans would agree with you. We would not have wanted to win the league that way.

Bitter memories of the first Elite League Play Off in 2002 when after topping the league by 4 points, an injury before the final to (I believe) No 1 Mark Loram saw a raw 16 year old (Eddie Kennett) make his debut. No guest allowed then. The result inevitably a 6 point aggregate win and forever bragging rights to Wolverhampton.

I have always been strongly against play off's for league winners, can you imagine the reaction if the Premier Football league suggested it. Just another reason why speedway does not get taken seriously in some quarters.

Most Eastbourne fans would agree with you. We would not have wanted to win the league that way.

Bitter memories of the first Elite League Play Off in 2002 when after topping the league by 4 points, an injury before the final to (I believe) No 1 Mark Loram saw a raw 16 year old (Eddie Kennett) make his debut. No guest allowed then. The result inevitably a 6 point aggregate win and forever bragging rights to Wolverhampton.

I have always been strongly against play off's for league winners, can you imagine the reaction if the Premier Football league suggested it. Just another reason why speedway does not get taken seriously in some quarters.

Agree with all you say.

The riding factor behind the play-offs in the Elite League is TV.

They want to be there when the League is won.

There is no doubt the play-off Final attracts big crowds but that is because the rest of the season crowds are poor.

NL have got it right as far as I am concerned.

Could they now vote to get RID of the stupid Double points crap and bring back T/S. :D

• Like 1

Could they now vote to get RID of the stupid Double points crap and bring back T/S. :D

Now I do agree with that and NO playoffs !

What's tactical sub? Surely if it means bring in a better rider in a race that is full of lesser riders that's unfair advantage

What's tactical sub? Surely if it means bring in a better rider in a race that is full of lesser riders that's unfair advantage

You're spot on Alex and its a bad idea in the NL especially as you'd be taking rides away from the weaker/younger riders who need as much track time as possible rather than putting a heat leader in a race that he can win easily.

Edited by Islander15

You're spot on Alex and its a bad idea in the NL especially as you'd 2 taking rides away from the weaker/younger riders who need as much track time as possible rather than putting a heat leader in a race that he can win easily.

Thats next level of ridiculous for a rule. might as well just write 3 points on their score and let the younger rider take the ride.

For me something does need to be done about the tactical rule. (whether or not it be the black and white or the old t/s). Time and again I hear that the purpose of the tactical is to make matches closer. (You can just hear everyone inserting the word 'artificially' between the words matches and closer.) This is plainly ridiculous and makes a mockery of all the other rules we have in place such as averages. But I do believe speedway needs a tactical element. After all most other sports do so. It provides talking points on the terraces. Incidentally the old T/S rule provides more opportunity for terrace managers than the double points although I take the point of those that say it would not help with rider development.

I have said it before and I will keep on saying it. The tactical rule (whichever rule you use) should have as its aim a very simple very reasonable target. Its stated aim should be NOT to make matches closer. Its stated aim should be to combat home track advantage.(Sorry Eastbourne lol.) As such the facility should only be available to the away side. This is entirely reasonable in my book.

For what it is worth. I think the national league got it right this year. The winner of the league is the winner of the league. As for the gold cup. Some have said that such a competition would not be supported. I did not see that. It seemed to be very well supported from where I was standing. First Cradley (unsuccessfully) and the Eastie (successfully) wanted to topple the league leaders and all of the matches I saw were well supported.

My guess is that at the AGM (On my sons Birthday.) Eastbourne will arrive with the proposal to re-instate the play offs. The others, if they have any sense, will say 'on yer bike.

I do wonder, with BT entering the speedway fray if we may see a change in things come the next time the sky contract is due. If we have two providers courting us then speedway would be in a better position to dictate how things happen. I live in hope.

Thats next level of ridiculous for a rule. might as well just write 3 points on their score and let the younger rider take the ride.

it used to happen in the 'good old days' alex, but the many advocates of bringing the rule back seem not to take into account that many young riders along with their mums & dads are not going to be willing to drive the length and breath of england for 2 races every meeting. if people want rid of the double points ride then by all means get rid of it so the scores are the scores and thats an end to it. they shouldn't replace it with an equally ridiculous rule that will also lead to riders getting p*****ed off and leaving the sport.

• Like 1

it used to happen in the 'good old days' alex, but the many advocates of bringing the rule back seem not to take into account that many young riders along with their mums & dads are not going to be willing to drive the length and breath of england for 2 races every meeting. if people want rid of the double points ride then by all means get rid of it so the scores are the scores and thats an end to it. they shouldn't replace it with an equally ridiculous rule that will also lead to riders getting p*****ed off and leaving the sport.

I'm for not having any type of tac sub. If it's used it doesn't show a true score line and makes the team look better than they actually were. With the handicap they are always going to choose someone who can't come from the back again making the result bias and again doesn't show the true performance of the losing team

What about choice of gates when a team is say 10 points behind until that is reduced below ten,,just a suggestion?

• Like 1

I cant see Eastbourne wanting to change anything, Just go along with the flow of things and work like the new unit of people that run the club, If all the other teams are going to do it then i am sure Eastbourne will be happy to fall inline.

I cant see anything special to come out this AGM. Possible they might try to stop the Spillers trying to race in England but i think both of them holding UK passports and also racing in the Youth championship in 2013 would be a silly mistake.

What else can you change to a league that is one of the best of the 3 for Entertainment and value. Seems it didnt take that long to forget EL at Eastbourne.

Edited by catinthehat
  • Like 1

For me the only changes I would like to see are;

Limit the amount of times a team is allowed to use R/R. i.e twice home and twice away. Then the rest of the time the number 8's have to be used.

Treat the number 8's like an actual reserve so that they can take any of the rides a reserve would take not just the R/R rides.

If teams are required to have a number 8 they might as well be pushed towards using them otherwise its a pointless role.

Other than that the current rules look alright to me. Not sure how many occasions the tactical rides have actually effected the overall result of a match this season?

Fingers crossed for a 12 team league, 38 point limit would do for me and the pointless National Trophy to be dropped.