Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
junior fan

National League Agm

As BrummieStormer says, immediate best decision would have been to leave the champions as first past the post, longer term Eastbourne should really look at rebuilding their track to a more conventional shape.

Mention has been made of team running Eastbourne close at home, how much of this was due to some decent performances by heatleaders though ?, the Greenwoods and Ellis's can probably give it a fair go, but what did the away sides tail end score in these meetings ?, tracks like Perry Barr and Kings Lynn are much more typical and far easier to suss out after a first ride and score some points.

so you want all the N.L. tracks to be altered to the same size so it's easy for the 3 pointers, although you seem to be singling out eastbourne i assume you include buxton and rye house aswell. NEWS FLASH it's not supposed to be easy , they are there to learn to ride the different tracks. what a great idea so if they learn to ride well enough they might get picked up by an elite league side and then be faced with turning the first corner at lakeside, brilliant.

• Like 2

so you want all the N.L. tracks to be altered to the same size so it's easy for the 3 pointers, although you seem to be singling out eastbourne i assume you include buxton and rye house aswell. NEWS FLASH it's not supposed to be easy , they are there to learn to ride the different tracks. what a great idea so if they learn to ride well enough they might get picked up by an elite league side and then be faced with turning the first corner at lakeside, brilliant.

HA HA HA HA HO HO HO now thats funny well done gee jay looking at the other side of the coin, maybe we could put in a request for Cardiff to be made as big as Berwick.

Poor show by BSPA now banning Brad from the NL after a whole year of making it entertaining because he doesn't have a go passport

Poor show by BSPA now banning Brad from the NL after a whole year of making it entertaining because he doesn't have a go passport

I would suggest you were lucky to have him one year , just shows you pulled a swiftly, but good luck to you.

Junior

I would suggest you were lucky to have him one year , just shows you pulled a swiftly, but good luck to you.

It would only have been 'pulling a swiftly' if had not been in the rules. If they change the rules now then so be it. BWD will be in Prem next season and best of luck to him, nice lad.

Junior

Slight tech error, I am last paragraph.

Gives teams experience of more technical tracks. Stop moaning it's still speedway! ignore the scoreline the Knings Lynn meeting was a great meeting as most of them were. Perhaps you should come and have a look sometime.

I did.

Didn't like it.

Probably wont go again.

(To be fair its a long way for me to go.)

That ok as far as it goes and is not the problem.

The problem is making a league title into a cup competition that immediately makes home advantage a big factor.

• Like 1

I keep telling them this GA but they are not listening---keep your odd shaped track---but leave play offs out of NL!

Eastbourne have won the 2016 NL Title in 2015 way to go :party::t:

I keep telling them this GA but they are not listening---keep your odd shaped track---but leave play offs out of NL!

I understand what you mean BS and I know that I have opined similarly.

However now, I think, is the time to say "stuff it" lets go out and win this thing anyway.

Since 2007 Birmingham have been in several finals and I think I am right in saying we have won not one of them.

Well lets change that.

Lets win the thing and then still turn round and say. It's not right and its unfair but we won it anyway.

I did.

Didn't like it.

Probably wont go again.

(To be fair its a long way for me to go.)

That ok as far as it goes and is not the problem.

The problem is making a league title into a cup competition that immediately makes home advantage a big factor.

And the Birmingham matches were some of the less exciting matches riding wise. The scoreline was ok though

Who are the anonymous 'them' you are telling. I am on record as having complained about play offs in all leagues for a long time.

As regards the 2016 NL Title it has to be Birmingham's to lose. This 40 limit cuts many teams out of competition and opened the door for the return of Zach with Perry and with two of the most promising reserves they still have almost 16 points to put the issue beyond reasonable doubt. Eastbourne could have been in a similar position but the change in rules put BWD out and with spiller's year out they have big gaps that I don't think can be filled. Unless they pull a surprise out of the bag I doubt they will even make the play-offs.

Instead of repeated jibes and whinging about the track you should thank the AGM for making it easy for you.

Why oh why ?

NL got it so right by getting rid of the play-offs - But bring it back. :nono:

Now they get rid of the T/R (great move) will they bring it back 2017 ?

Just to say that great to see 12 teams in the League.

Welcome back Warriors. :D

And NL get chance to ride/visit Belle Vue New Stadium - result. :lol:

• Like 1

Who are the anonymous 'them' you are telling. I am on record as having complained about play offs in all leagues for a long time.

As regards the 2016 NL Title it has to be Birmingham's to lose. This 40 limit cuts many teams out of competition and opened the door for the return of Zach with Perry and with two of the most promising reserves they still have almost 16 points to put the issue beyond reasonable doubt. Eastbourne could have been in a similar position but the change in rules put BWD out and with spiller's year out they have big gaps that I don't think can be filled. Unless they pull a surprise out of the bag I doubt they will even make the play-offs.

Instead of repeated jibes and whinging about the track you should thank the AGM for making it easy for you.

:icon_smile_clown::rofl::lol::wink:

Since 2007 Birmingham have been in several finals and I think I am right in saying we have won not one of them.

Yes, you're right, it's six by my calculations (two of them in our first season alone) and we've blown the lot.

Like some other posters here, I really do hate the play offs with a passion, and can't see any point of them whatsoever at this level of speedway. Why should any team have to win it again after finishing top of the pile over a whole season? It's not as though there is any television coverage with this league. To bring them back is an exercise in futility as far as I can see.

Where the AGM has missed a trick is by not making the Fours a qualifying tournament, three groups of four, three group winners plus highest scoring runners up go into a full blown final at a neutral venue, like say Peterborough, for example. So the National Trophy isn't popular? I'm not surprised with the way it's been handled. Simply make every team enter it by making it a straight knock-out competition.

I also think the points limit has been set a tad high. 38 would have been a more realistic figure IMO, two 3 pointers at reserve, and 32 for the rest of the team. This is still a development league, right? I suppose with the higher standard set by Birmingham and Eastbourne joining last year, some promoters have thought 'how can we follow that?' and this is the result. The stipulation of having to name a #8 and #9 wouldn't have gone amiss either, these to be used when other team members weren't available or injured, thereby cutting down on the dreaded guest appearances and R/R. Still, you can't have everything, can you?

One final thought. Eastbourne didn't clean up at EL level because they decided to operate on a Saturday. You can't get top class riders to come here on that day of the week on a regular basis - as Leicester are now finding out.

• Like 2

...Eastbourne could have been in a similar position but the change in rules put BWD out and with Spiller's year out they have big gaps that I don't think can be filled. Unless they pull a surprise out of the bag I doubt they will even make the play-offs.

There will be 11 other teams in the NL hoping you are right about that.

On the other hand, Cradley didn't do so well on the best fair track in the NL (the BSPA said so, so it must be right, mustn't it? :party: ) and have gone back to Wolverhampton. So, even if the Eastbourne 50 pence piece doesn't come into play, Fortress Monmore might.

Edited by uk martin

I see there was at least one other rule change at the AGM: The rule was changed at the NL AGM. A rider with a PL average under 5 without a EL/PL team place can accept an NL position safe in the knowledge that he doesn't have to relinquish that place if a position in a higher league subsequently becomes available.

So that allows young ​British riders without a PL team at the start of the season, to get a NL Team place and stay with the NL Team even if he gets a PL Team place later in the season, a common sense decision, which allows riders like Ashley Morris to continue there riding careers. Had this rule not been in place it could have meant Ashley (and maybe other riders) may have been without a Team place anywhere, and in the ludicrous situation of being British, 21 and basically left on the shelf, with nowhere to go, and loads of none British riders riding in other so called British Leagues.

• Like 2