British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

The Points Limit

The points limit should have been nearer 38 than 40.5. I know some fans would have moaned but they're going to moan even more at the poor teams and mis-matched meetings we'll get.

Definitely going to be picking mine!

Ah well, as a Poole fan it doesn't effect you so you can take a flippant attitude.

It's NOT good for a team to be cast adrift from March and with no hope of building a decent team all season.

So who's fault is thats ?

The thing is all teams start out on a level playing field so to speak.............last year it was set at 34 and the reserves were not included...........this year it is set at 40.5 and the reserve are included....................

The majority of reserve pairings have in the region of 7 or 8 points leaving around 32.5 for the main team which is lower than last year..............

It was always known that some GP stars may not be back but with some second strings on over inflated averages and some heat leaders on lower averages than they should be it should even its self out...............

RP

sad state of affairs if sides are struggling to get an attractive side together with a points limit set lower than the 46 points it takes to win a match im very much in fear for our sport

i hope buster and co at the bspa can rescue the situation but i fear its too late maybe a 1 big league can save it for a few seasons

• Like 1

It's not a question of whose fault it is, it's a matter of what are the consequeces. The consequences of a team being cast adrift in March with no hope of building a decent team, are that attendances which are barely sustainable at present will suffer further and the risk of closure arises. That is the point SCB was driving at.

My goodness, there are some blinkered thickos on the South Coast but you take the biscuit. No Speedwáy fan with an element of decency about him wants to see fellow fans watching a rubbish team getting beat every week,even if if idiots like you think it's funny.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

for once in your life start using your brain pal.

true speedway fans dont want to see the sport go to the wall but you are just so thick you cant see any issues, as long as Poole win who cares what happens to the sport hey!!

butt out and let the adults have a discussion about what to do with the sport

• Like 2

The promoters who seem to have ignored the issues and voted in a limit that's too high. Ultimately it's not good for anyone. Let's say Lakeside struggle from the off, thy lose loads of money. That's one less team in the league. If Coventry get turfed out of Brandon next year too. Then what for the EL?

This cock up could kill a team or two. I know it's harsh on the riders concerned but there always needs to be a couple of riders left over to fill in for injuries or the team that messed up signing their original team. That's not been done.

Certain posters were cracking on in similar vein about the points limit in the season just gone, when the EL had one of its most competitive seasons for a long while with 5 of the 8 teams in constant touch of the play-offs right to the end.

It was injuries and poor performances from riders who were expected to score better that led to the bottom 3 being left behind - 2 of which had a GP rider in their line-up - nothing directly to do with points limits.

One of the reasons that the EL continues to lose its top riders - in addition to all the extra travelling, staying in hotels, lower pay etc - is because when they do race over here they have less and less serious competition.

That's my 'blinkered thicko from the South Coast' view!! Lets just carry on driving the sport into the ground by pandering to the lowest common denominator.....!

Edited by Skidder1

Wolves and Leicester were about 4 points under the limit and could do nothing about it. Swindon got luck that Darcy come along or they would have been screwed too.

Wolves and Leicester could do little about it because decent riders don't want regular Monday or Saturday racing. Swindon were knackered mainly because of the nasty injury to Miedzinski - nothing to do with the points limit!!

The limit was way too high and with more big names staying away it makes it impossible for teams to find the riders available to make it closes to the limit of 40.5.

Change it to 38 or 39 and get teams that will be equally balanced but more importantly get rid of the race format that has caused this mess

• Like 1

While I understand the logic of those arguing for a lower points limit, the fact it is 40.5 allows riders with inflated averages like Zengota, Summers, Nilsson a chance to ride this year. It also allows teams to look at heat leaders who rode before the recent heat format change.

The real issue is that the heat format has skewed too many riders averages one way or the other that they aren't a real reflection of their relative abilities.

• Like 1

One of the reasons that the EL continues to lose its top riders - in addition to all the extra travelling, staying in hotels, lower pay etc - is because when they do race over here they have less and less serious competition.

That is not necessarily the case with all of them . Some feel the need for regular racing other race here because they don't have the sort of pressure they have in Poland to perform and can enjoy their racing. The only common denominator is that very few of them race here because they need the money !

While I understand the logic of those arguing for a lower points limit, the fact it is 40.5 allows riders with inflated averages like Zengota, Summers, Nilsson a chance to ride this year. It also allows teams to look at heat leaders who rode before the recent heat format change.

The real issue is that the heat format has skewed too many riders averages one way or the other that they aren't a real reflection of their relative abilities.

At the end of the year the points limit will average out about 42. That happened but that was with reserves averaging about 10ish per team. They are not taking up 7ish per team. That's a loss of 3 points a team so you're down to 39 before we lost Ward(and Kildemand), Magic, Puk and Zagar. It's slightly offset by adding Krys Buckzkowski. That's another point lost.

This takes into account the likes of Summers and Zengi who someone is going to have to sign or be even lower that the limit.

And a team which gets up to the limit purely by signing 5 riders with inflated averages will be totally uncompetitive

sad state of affairs if sides are struggling to get an attractive side together with a points limit set lower than the 46 points it takes to win a match im very much in fear for our sport

i hope buster and co at the bspa can rescue the situation but i fear its too late maybe a 1 big league can save it for a few seasons

You're aware of course that averages are calculated on the basis of 4 heats per rider? And that reserves are having their averages reduced byvspprox 40%?