British Speedway Forum
hawkeyenz

New Zealand Solo League

The link you have is correct Gustix. It is Moore Park Speedway which is named after the great Ronnie Moore. My mistake.

Thank you for posting this. Very enjoyable. We'll have to have a forum whip round to buy them some white and yellow helmet covers. :lol: All the best. Alan.

Unfortunately, the scheduled fixture at Rosebank on Sunday between the Auckland Rhinos and the Southland Outlaws has been cancelled due to the inability of the Southland side being able to raise sufficient riders to travel to Auckland.

Announcement from Rick Lang of the National Solo League of New Zealand taken from Facebook:

DISAPPOINTING NEWS
Round 4 This Sunday Feb 14th Rhinos v Outlaws at Rosebank
Unfortunately this round has had to be CANCELLED due to the Outlaws inability to muster a team to travel to Auckland and therefore defaulting.
A very disappointing situation with some far reaching effects of which I will not go into.
In light of this and after great consideration, as the rules do not cater for a defaulting team, and in fairness, the Rhinos will be awarded 3 points for the win + the bonus point to take 4 points from the abandoned match. I believe this the correct result and therefore changes nothing for both the Rhinos & Comets who will have to win their match against the Outlaws (at home) at Oreti for a chance to win the league.

As an aside to this, I have called a conference between the 3 tracks at the next round at Oreti on the 20th (Outlaws v Rhinos) to discuss a number of issues and where to for Solos in NZ, with some ideas I want considered. - Rick.

Rosebank will still hold a meeting of club racing this weekend at the reduced admission price of $10.

(It sounds as if all avenues were explored to get the League meeting on, but these weren't helped with Meeanee Speedway outside Napier running solo classes for the first time for 12 months on Saturday and with Harrisville Speedway at Ohakea down near Palmerston North running a meeting on the Sunday.)

Round 5 (Southland v Auckland) scheduled for Oreti Park on 20 February with Round 6 (Southland v Canterbury) at Oreti on 5th March.

Edited by macca56

Teams for Round 6 & Final Round at ORETI PARK SPEEDWAY Saturday 5th March at 4.00pm

SOUTHLAND OUTLAWS V CANTERBURY COMETS

OUTLAWS
1 John Tuffley
2 Daniel Shuttleworth ...
3 Jake Gillespie
4 Glen Sole
5 Bradley Stockton
Manager: Derek MacRae

COMETS
1 Grant Tregoining
2 Andrew Aldridge
3 Ryan Moss
4 Jason McKay
5 George Congreve
Manager: Craig Moss

Statement by Rick Lang of National Solo League of New Zealand concerning the previously cancelled Auckland Rhinos v Southland Outlaws match:

'Teams Points Update

As expected there was some controversy around the decision on points allocation after the Round 4 match was cancelled due to the Outlaws defaulting to the Rhinos. Speedway New Zealand asked MSNZ ( the Motorcycle group) to discuss and comment on the decision. The group did that and agreed with the points decision that had been made.However the group recommended to SNZ that in the best interests an independent panel should make the final decision, which SNZ did. The decision has been released today to uphold the original decision and the points score not be altered, although there were a number of comments surrounding this, including SNZ control, which will affect the future of the league if there is one next year.

This is for notification to all interested persons only and no comments or discussion will be entered into or entertained here.

This week, and especially the past few hours have been a particularly turbulent for the league and solo racing and some outcomes are likely. I myself will not comment at the moment and am considering my options.'

(All courtesy of NSL of New Zealand Facebook page.)

Edited by macca56

This seems to be troubled times for our sport in New Zealand. I hope the only league in the Southern hemisphere does run fully next year.

Seems sad that speedway can't even run a fairly simple league of 3 teams without running into trouble.Maybe I am missing something,but I can't see the controversy in the decision,although those running the league were obviously caught out by not having a rule in place for this

Result from Round 6 at Oreti Park on 05 March 2016:

Southland Outlaws 23 v 53 Canterbury Comets

Outlaws:

Paul Highstead: 0,1,1,1,0 = 3

Daniel Shuttleworth: 1,2,0,0,3+3,F = 6+3 (Joker)

Jake Gillespie: 0.EF.EF.1.2 = 3

Glen Sole ©: 1,1,F,2,S = 4

Bradley Stockton: 1,2,TS,1 = 4

Adam Shuttleworth: 0 = 0

(Paul Highstead rode for Outlaws as a late replacement for John Tuffley, with Outlaws choosing to use Highstead at H1 rather than promote a Reserve)

Comets:

Grant Tregoning: 3,3,2,3,S = 11

Andrew Aldridge ©: 2,3,3,3,2 = 13

Ryan Moss: 2,2,3,2,3 = 12

Jason McKay: 3,2,3,EF,3 = 11

George Congreve: F,1,1,2,1 = 5

Wayne Drake: DNR

(Comets won 8 of the 12 Heats by 1-5 and and another 2 x Heats by 2-4, with the home side managing a 3-3 in Heat 3 and an 8-1 in Heat 9)

(Ryan Moss won Heat 12 after falling and re-mounting in Turn 1 Lap 1 when the rain arrived)

National Solo League of New Zealand Official Final Placings:

1st Auckland Rhinos 12 points
2nd Canterbury Comets 12 points
3rd Southland Outlaws 0 points

Auckland Rhinos win the 2016 National Speedway League of New Zealand on points count back:

Both the Rhinos and Comets finished on equal 12 points being 9 match points + 3 bonus points
As per the rules when teams are tied there is a count back in the first instance in the two matches between the tied teams In this case:
Round 1 Comets beat Rhinos 37 - 35 = Comets +2
Round 2 Rhinos beat Comets 36 - 33 = Rhinos +3

So by the slimmest of margins, i.e. 1 match point the Rhinos win the league.

(All info and results courtesy of NSL of New Zealand Facebook page.)

• Like 1

I hope the league can run again next year.

The problem I see is the travelling distances compounded by the cost of getting across the Cook Strait. This year Auckland and Canterbury were very evenly matched but Oreti were very weak.

Jason Bunjan and Bradley Wilson-Dean were hardly involved and the league lacks draw cards.

Unfortunately it would appear that there will be no NZ League Speedway in the coming 2016 - 2017 season.