British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

2016 Elite League Heat Format

If by some obscure chance Garrity were to suffer a drop in form and therefore drop to reserve, then presumably he would have ensured his contract would stipulate that he remains on the same (1-5) wage rate?!

It's not an obscure chance. If we keep the same format, even if he rides well, his average in the top 5 won't go up much/any. But a reserve getting 6 free points from the reserve races will rocket up.

They cannot possibly be using last year's format and allowing free movement in and out of reserve. On its own that would be a recipe for disaster, but when you throw in the fact that the sneakier promoters will also fiddle it to their benefit, then you have mayhem.

I nominate SCB to write a letter to the Speedway Star explaining the problem....that would be a issue worth reading

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 1

I nominate SCB to write a letter to the Speedway Star explaining the problem....that would be a issue worth reading

It would be nice if someone at the Speedway Star pointed out the madness of it all! Why do they need a letter?!

How the hell can a reserve get a true average if there are still 2 protected heats.Am i right in thinking that if a reserve has 2 high scoring meetings that it is possible that his average could move him straight into a heat leader spot(ie Worrall scoring 15 points at wolves last year) ?.

Must admit I was taken aback when it was announced the race format hasn't changed. After discussing all the things they (AGM) got wrong and sort to rectify the race programme to most of us is part of that problem so I find it baffling.

But yes they will, but then so did the 4 point foreigners who were assessed wrongly for years as well.

Hopefully some common sense will prevail for the draft riders and maybe they will continue to refer to their PL averages for next season also.

SCB:

It would be nice if someone at the Speedway Star pointed out the madness of it all! Why do they need a letter?!

I would be nice for anybody from the BSPA to answer some of these issues....

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 1

So what is clear about what we now know?

- the race format is the same as this season.

- there were 18 riders on the HL list so not all teams will have 3 (assessed) heat leaders. These riders were graded by all promotions.

- The HL leader list was to ensure teams got at least 1 or 2 from that list.

- averages will count when determining the race order, not the HL list.

- only tier 1 reserves will move up not tier 2. Both get new averages.

- shared jobs and 2 day race night is likely to be considered as way forward in 2017.

- the 'hidden' lists are likely to be public in January.

FML, its like they were taking bets on who could come up with the most ludicrous idea, and then they decided to implement all of them...

• Like 2

Something to start the fire with on the dark, cold, winter days at BSPA towers? ;)

I think you've also got to look at the fact that when they move up (not if) they'll still be racing each other no matter whether it's as a number 1 or number 7. So no improvement at all. Stupid stupid rule

It's not an obscure chance. If we keep the same format, even if he rides well, his average in the top 5 won't go up much/any. But a reserve getting 6 free points from the reserve races will rocket up.

They cannot possibly be using last year's format and allowing free movement in and out of reserve. On its own that would be a recipe for disaster, but when you throw in the fact that the sneakier promoters will also fiddle it to their benefit, then you have mayhem.

You are assuming Garrity will be the lowest average of the 1-5 when the averages change - and that Sarjeant will have scored sufficiently well to go up?! As has now been clarified from the Wolves forum, its only the Tier 1 reserve that can go up, so the possibility of having Woryna or Garrity (or King??!) at reserve for a few meetings would surely suit Coventry.

The format has not been changed at all so you will still have reserves out scoring heat leader and second string doing well until they move up to heat leader.

The number 7 stays at 7 all season while the number 6 can move up. Averages are published every two weeks.

There are 18 heat leaders but they don't have to be at 1 3 or 5 and those positions are taken up by the three highest averaging riders. At Wolves and Kings Lynn the chances are that Lindgren and Bjerre will start at 4 even though they are in the heat leader list.

• Like 1

You are assuming Garrity will be the lowest average of the 1-5 when the averages change - and that Sarjeant will have scored sufficiently well to go up?! As has now been clarified from the Wolves forum, its only the Tier 1 reserve that can go up, so the possibility of having Woryna or Garrity (or King??!) at reserve for a few meetings would surely suit Coventry.

Its not about being it benefitting Coventry, or Poole or say Wolves, Its about the creditability of League racing and trying to project the sport. If it is perceived by Joe Public as a mockery, the chances of him ever wanting to attend in person is nil.

Trying to explain to my 8 yr old grandson why reserve riders have a better average than the top heatleaders, sums up the pathetic situation that now exists.....

8 year olds aren't bothered about averages!!! He just needs to know that the reserve has been scoring better than one of the other riders and will move up into the 1-5

In most sports the reserves get promoted into the first team if they are scoring well against other reserve teams. If the don't make it successfully, they go back to the reserves. Simples.

I don't agree with the format - but lets not overcomplicate the reasons and explanations behind it.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

8 year olds aren't bothered about averages!!! He just needs to know that the reserve has been scoring better than one of the other riders and will move up into the 1-5

You'll be amazed what my grandson can do on his IPAD, and the questions he asks.

In most sports the reserves get promoted into the first team if they are scoring well against other reserve teams. If the don't make it successfully, they go back to the reserves. Simples.

I don't agree with the format - but lets not overcomplicate the reasons and explanations behind it.

You said something similar 2 yrs ago and look at the mess we're in now....

There's none so blind, than those who don't want to see.......

I'm obviously losing my marbles. Once I heard that one of the reserves could move up I just assumed that the the heat formula would change to that used before the draft riders were introduced or, if not, something very similar which would give them a realistic average. It never occurred to me that they would not make any changes and so create a system where a reserve could find himself a heat leader without ever having raced against one. How stupid of me not to realise the merits of such a system.

• Like 4