British Speedway Forum
stratton

Your Own Great Memories.?

I was sorting through all of my 1976 programmes and it really brought some great memories flooding back.Ashby beating the great Tommy Jansson 2.0 in the helmet at the Abbey Tommy then winning the decider seven days later at Cradley.Finn Thomsen scoring a massive 20 (paid 21 out of 8 rides (on an oversized engine???).And later on in the season Briggo returning with Hull to the Abbey scoring 11 points after a heat 1 exclusion under the time rule.I wondered which of you have similar memories, and particular meetings stick out in your mind 1972 to 1976 were the years i loved the most great days.

Sorry, not 1972 to 76 as I don't agree with your premise that they were the great days! But, yes, looking through old programmes is great for bringing back the memories, Sidney,

As I've said on here before, my greatest memory, and one I can still recall vividly, much better than any recent matches, is the afternoon West Ham beat Wimbledon at Wimbledon in the Knock Out Cup Quarter Final replay on 14 August 1965 without Sverre Harrfeldt or Norman Hunter. The night our five point second string Malcolm Simmons suddenly became a star.14 points in the match, including the three fastest times of the night, a victory over Olle Nygren in the 2nd half and then, to top it all off, beating him in a special race with Malcolm giving 10 yards in a handicap! Oh yes, it also saw Tony Clarke's debut. It was an unbelievable meeting and the start of West Ham's total dominance for the rest of that season, remaining unbeaten, taking the League, Cup and London Cup treble.

• Like 1

Sorry, not 1972 to 76 as I don't agree with your premise that they were the great days! But, yes, looking through old programmes is great for bringing back the memories, Sidney,

As I've said on here before, my greatest memory, and one I can still recall vividly, much better than any recent matches, is the afternoon West Ham beat Wimbledon at Wimbledon in the Knock Out Cup Quarter Final replay on 14 August 1965 without Sverre Harrfeldt or Norman Hunter. The night our five point second string Malcolm Simmons suddenly became a star.14 points in the match, including the three fastest times of the night, a victory over Olle Nygren in the 2nd half and then, to top it all off, beating him in a special race with Malcolm giving 10 yards in a handicap! Oh yes, it also saw Tony Clarke's debut. It was an unbelievable meeting and the start of West Ham's total dominance for the rest of that season, remaining unbeaten, taking the League, Cup and London Cup treble.

All those days i enjoyed very much "Norbold" i was not lucky anough to see from 1960 onwards i started going in 1969 have been going ever since.Another meeting that sticks out for me was a Swindon v Halifax meeting 63-15 Ian Cartwright the only visiting rider to split a home pair a right mauling.
  • Like 1

My favourite memory was the battle for the 1980 league title between Reading and Hackney.

It was the classic rich club v poor club, with the global superstars of Reading featuring Schwartz, Andersson and Davis, against 'little Hackney' showing just one bottom end change (Roman Jankowski for Bobby McNeil) from the team that had come last in 79.

I remember we got annihilated at home by King's Lynn in an early gold cup match and everyone was thinking "here we go again!" But then suddenly it all clicked into place and we won about a dozen matches on the spin, including a quite incredible match at Halifax, turning around something like an 11 point deficit into a 1 point win over the last third of the meeting!

What was most satisfying that year was the way the Hawks epitomised the word 'team'. We had begun the year without any real superstars in the side, (although Bo Petersen certainly broke into that category that year and actually led the national averages right up until the last month or so of the season.)

Unfortunately we ran out of steam and lost at home to Cradley towards the end of the year, and Reading won the league, and something like a £40,000 bonus from Dave Lanning.

Great memories.

• Like 1

My favourite memory was the battle for the 1980 league title between Reading and Hackney.

It was the classic rich club v poor club, with the global superstars of Reading featuring Schwartz, Andersson and Davis, against 'little Hackney' showing just one bottom end change (Roman Jankowski for Bobby McNeil) from the team that had come last in 79.

I remember we got annihilated at home by King's Lynn in an early gold cup match and everyone was thinking "here we go again!" But then suddenly it all clicked into place and we won about a dozen matches on the spin, including a quite incredible match at Halifax, turning around something like an 11 point deficit into a 1 point win over the last third of the meeting!

What was most satisfying that year was the way the Hawks epitomised the word 'team'. We had begun the year without any real superstars in the side, (although Bo Petersen certainly broke into that category that year and actually led the national averages right up until the last month or so of the season.)

Unfortunately we ran out of steam and lost at home to Cradley towards the end of the year, and Reading won the league, and something like a £40,000 bonus from Dave Lanning.

Great memories.

I can't ever remember going and seeing the Robins ever win at the Wick,?it was always hard loved the eight o'clock Friday slot a real nice race track.Did have u/tube on the other night "Terry" a Hackney v Poole 1983 encounter,Thommo producing one brilliant ride loved Thommo as a rider great value. Edited by sidney

I can't ever remember going and seeing the Robins ever win at the Wick,?it was always hard loved the eight o'clock Friday slot a real nice race track.Did have u/tube on the other night "Terry" a Hackney v Poole 1983 encounter,Thommo producing one brilliant ride loved Thommo as a rider great value.

I almost feel 'honoured' to have watched Thommo for all those years at the Wick. He made so many brilliant passes, it's impossible to name them all!

One that does stand out was when he was chasing the teamriding Ivan Mauger and Scott Autrey for three and a half laps in a last heat decider and flew between them crossing the finish line. Exeter were fighting with White City for the 77 league title and that just about sealed it for the Rebels. I think Barry got an invite from Danny Dunton and Bob Dugard to attend their celebration bash!

Edited by Terry

I almost feel 'honoured' to have watched Thommo for all those years at the Wick. He made so many brilliant passes, it's impossible to name them all!

One that does stand out was when he was chasing the teamriding Ivan Mauger and Scott Autrey for three and a half laps in a last heat decider and flew between them crossing the finish line. Exeter were fighting with White City for the 77 league title and that just about sealed it for the Rebels. I think Barry got an invite from Danny Dunton and Bob Dugard to attend their celebration bash!

He was a really exciting rider i remember when he rode for England v Russia in a test match at the Abbey and followed him ever since then.Banger also was a real class act a superb stylist and he was good anough to have won a WC as a lower end rider i always quite liked Laurie Etheridge a great team man. Edited by sidney

In 1961 in a league match between New Cross and Norwich, I was privileged to see the aging Split Waterman beat the current World Champion, Ove Fundin twice. Not only did Waterman beat him twice in the match on his way to a paid maximum, but he also beat him in the second half. I’ll never forget that night.

• Like 1

In 1961 in a league match between New Cross and Norwich, I was privileged to see the aging Split Waterman beat the current World Champion, Ove Fundin twice. Not only did Waterman beat him twice in the match on his way to a paid maximum, but he also beat him in the second half. I’ll never forget that night.

I was there that night as well. I was astounded at the way Split Waterman ran up his wins against Ove Fundin. I wasn't happy at the time being something of a Fundin devotee but with the passing of the years now concede it was a fantastic performance by Waterman.

If I recall White City enquired about whether Barry was available and wanted him to sign for 'The Rebels' after his great ride...or are my memory cells playing tricks?

Unfortunately we ran out of steam and lost at home to Cradley towards the end of the year,

Remember that Cradley meeting, it hinged on an exclusion for Bo Peterson in heat 12, I think. The other memory is of the Cradley team coming round on a lap of honour and getting a great reception from the Hackney fans. Fair play to them.

another fond memory is a cup match at Hyde Road against Sheffield in 1969, I think. It was just one good race after another, culminating in 3 riders coming off the last bend of the last heat line abreast with all 3 results possible. In the second half Arnold Haley capped a great night for Sheffield by taking the Silver Sash off Ivan Mauge.r

If I recall White City enquired about whether Barry was available and wanted him to sign for 'The Rebels' after his great ride...or are my memory cells playing tricks?

I don't even want to think about that!

I was devastated enough when he signed for Crayford in 81. At least we could still use him as our number 8.

Remember that Cradley meeting, it hinged on an exclusion for Bo Peterson in heat 12, I think. The other memory is of the Cradley team coming round on a lap of honour and getting a great reception from the Hackney fans. Fair play to them.

That's right, Bo was giving it everything trying to pass Bruce Penhall, and slid off. Bruce was unstoppable that night.

another fond memory is a cup match at Hyde Road against Sheffield in 1969, I think. It was just one good race after another, culminating in 3 riders coming off the last bend of the last heat line abreast with all 3 results possible. In the second half Arnold Haley capped a great night for Sheffield by taking the Silver Sash off Ivan Mauger

Remember that one, and Haley did it from the back as well

and at Halifax in 68

second part of a double header with the lesser tigers

Bob Paulson riding round the boards in the heat 13 to beat Boocock and Boothroyd to draw 39-39

I was there as well. Another brilliant memory, indeed.

For about a month, Split almost returned to his form of the early 1950s when he was one of the greatest riders of the age. Although still just about heat leader class following his return to racing in 1960, he was nothing like the rider he had once been. Suddenly, towards the end of the 1961 season, the old Waterman reappeared. On 28 June, in a league match against Norwich, he beat the current World Champion, Ove Fundin twice. New Cross was one of Fundin’s favourite tracks, he was track record holder at 57.0 seconds and was very rarely beaten there. Not only did Waterman beat him twice in the match on his way to a paid maximum, but he also beat him in the second half in a Gold Cup qualifying heat. The following week, Waterman won the New Cross qualifying round of the World Championship, beating the likes of Nigel Boocock, Bob Andrews and Ken McKinlay in the process. A full maximum against Coventry came next and then he top scored for the winning England team in the World Team Championship qualifying round with 13 points, For the New Cross fans, it was a real privilege to see Waterman recapture the form that had made him one of the greatest riders of all times, albeit for just a short period.

Remember well the occasion "Uncle Len' tried a fast one (and got away with it!) when City 'Rebels' rode at Hackney in 1977. Mick Hines was down in the programme to ride as a guest replacement for Marek Cieslak only for Len, as the meeting was due to start, put in a protest stating that Mick had ridden at Waterden Road only the week before. He was technically right but it did go against the grain considering that Mick's name was already printed in the programme. Len obviously wanted to play his card leaving 'The Rebels' a rider short! However cometh the hour (if I recall Roger Abel was promoted into the team as a replacement) 'The Rebels' went about sorting out "The Hawks' in an enthralling match. The race that sticks forever in my mind was the wheel to wheel battle between Gordon Kennett and Hackney's guest Peter Collins. Gordon on the inside and Peter the outside...no quarter given and no dirty stuff...just respect for each other. The race ended in a dead heat and, yes, 'The Rebels' just pipped 'The Hawks' to win the match! A great meeting on a perfect race track!