British Speedway Forum
stratton

Your Own Great Memories.?

Sorry Bobbath going a bit senile in me old age, bloody hell it was 63 Peter was only 29 so do you recon he had at least five more years at the top level "Bobbath"?? i think he did another subject but his early rides at Liverpool did no suggest he would be a great.! what do you think.

Talk to me about senility -you are talking to a guy who can't remember lots of recent stuff!! I started following Speedway in 1964 so never saw PC-people I talked to however reckon he could have gone on into his late thirties-say 1972 or so. Think he was about the same age as Ove and Briggo. Would have been great to see him ride in BL for sure. BTW my vote would be Ove over Briggo (greater consistency).

Talk to me about senility -you are talking to a guy who can't remember lots of recent stuff!! I started following Speedway in 1964 so never saw PC-people I talked to however reckon he could have gone on into his late thirties-say 1972 or so. Think he was about the same age as Ove and Briggo. Would have been great to see him ride in BL for sure. BTW my vote would be Ove over Briggo (greater consistency).

Not at Hyde Rd though Norbold? my uncle (who was mega bias) said Ove was a real tough white liner Craven beat him there i am sure Barry could of picked him off there.?

Was Fundin finished by about 69 ? being generous that is why Briggo beat him for Longevity Barry SHOULD of won it in 72.?IN 68 PC would of only been aged 34/35 so who knows.

So by that reasoning, Greg Hancock is a better rider than Tony Rickardsson.

• Like 1

So by that reasoning, Greg Hancock is a better rider than Tony Rickardsson.

I actually do feel that is one line of thought that i could actually put Barry in front of Ove there are not that many "Norbold,also was he a more entertaining rider than Ove.? You would have to say "Norbold whatever our thoughts,it would have to be pretty close between them i have never really met anyone like you that was a staunch Ove fan i admire that and your theory could well be correct.
  • Like 2

I am a staunch Ove fan, Sid. The reason for that I suppose is because in my first year of speedway, 1960, he was far and away the best rider. His visits to New Cross were, for me at least, the highlights of the season. And remember, Briggo was actually a New Cross rider that year. During the season, Briggo was named as challenger for Ove's Golden Helmet title. In both races, Ove absolutely slaughtered Briggo, setting the two fastest times at New Cross, claiming the track record which stood till New Cross finally closed in 1963.

He totally dominated the 1960 season and was odds on to win the World title, in spite of the challenges of the rest of the "Big Five". And, of course, he duly won. When he did win, the Speedway Star said, "Swedish speedway star, Ove Fundin, established himself as the greatest rider of all time by virtue of his brilliant victory in the Speedway Championship of the World final at Wembley Stadium.... Fundin showed the top trackmen of the world that his dynamic pace prior to the meeting had been no mere fluke."

He was, of course, also ranked no.1 in the Speedway Star rankings that year and this is what Speedway Star had to say about that, "For the fourth time in five years, Ove Fundin has been rated the number one rider in the world.....There is little doubt that Fundin has firmly established himself as the greatest speedway rider of all time. His amazingly high points returns, recorded with fantastic consistency, his ability to increase speed as a race progresses, has earned him the title of 'Mr Perpetual Motion.'"

And, talking of his "amazingly high points return", his average for the year was an incredible 11.56. This compares to Craven: 10.85, Moore:10.65, Knutson: 10.05 and Briggo: 9.51.

In absolutely every aspect, Fundin was by far and away the dominant rider of 1960 and almost in a class of his own. I suppose it's that sort of thing that sticks with you when it's your first year watching the sport. In the years since, I would say that only Mauger and Rickardsson could be spoken of in the same breath as such a dominant force.

Just two other things for me; not only was he the dominant rider of my first year and his visits to New Cross the highlight, but he scored an 18 point maximum in the first match I ever saw, so he set the scene for me right from the very beginning. The second is that over the last 10 years or so I have become very friendly with him. Apart from his riding ability he is a top class bloke!

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

I am a staunch Ove fan, Sid. The reason for that I suppose is because in my first year of speedway, 1960, he was far and away the best rider. His visits to New Cross were, for me at least, the highlights of the season. And remember, Briggo was actually a New Cross rider that year. During the season, Briggo was named as challenger for Ove's Golden Helmet title. In both races, Ove absolutely slaughtered Briggo, setting the two fastest times at New Cross, claiming the track record which stood till New Cross finally closed in 1963.

He totally dominated the 1960 season and was odds on to win the World title, in spite of the challenges of the rest of the "Big Five". And, of course, he duly won. When he did win, the Speedway Star said, "Swedish speedway star, Ove Fundin, established himself as the greatest rider of all time by virtue of his brilliant victory in the Speedway Championship of the World final at Wembley Stadium.... Fundin showed the top trackmen of the world that his dynamic pace prior to the meeting had been no mere fluke."

He was, of course, also ranked no.1 in the Speedway Star rankings that year and this is what Speedway Star had to say about that, "For the fourth time in five years, Ove Fundin has been rated the number the number one rider in the world.....There is little doubt that Fundin has firmly established himself as the greatest speedway rider of all time. His amazingly high points returns, recorded with fantastic consistency, his ability to increase speed as a race progresses, has earned him the title of 'Mr Perpetual Motion.'"

And, talking of his "amazingly high points return", his average for the year was an incredible 11.56. This compares to Craven: 10.85, Moore:10.65, Knutson: 10.05 and Briggo: 9.51.

In absolutely every aspect, Fundin was by far and away the dominant rider of 1960 and almost in a class of his own. I suppose it's that sort of thing that sticks with you when it's your first year watching the sport. In the years since, I would say that only Mauger and Rickardsson could be spoken of in the same breath as such a dominant force.

Just two other things for me; not only was he the dominant rider of my first year and his visits to New Cross the highlight, but he scored an 18 point maximum in the first match I ever saw, so he set the scene for me right from the very beginning. The second is that over the last 10 years or so I have become very friendly with him. Apart from his riding ability he is a top class bloke!

Dont disagree at all Norbold, Ricko won six titles for me PERSONALLY he is not in my top five not bias but when you look at yesteryear god it was tough.Olsen Briggs were the two who should of won more titles also Mirac as well but looking back i was never a fan but he converted me Nielsen could of won eight titles certainly if it was a GP scenario what do you think "Norbold",? Edited by sidney
  • Like 2

Interestingly, Rickardsson never once reached an 11.00 average. The three most recent riders to do that were Jason Crump, Sam Ermolenko and Hans Nielsen.

Rickardsson didn't seem to possess the same determination to totally dominate every single meeting across a season in the same manner as Fundin, Mauger or Nielsen.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Actually I did think after I'd posted my above rather long missive that I should have included Hans Nielsen along with Mauger and Rickardsson. I suppose I always tend to downplay his dominance in the Fundin/Mauger mould because of his rivalry with Erik Gundersen. But then I suppose you could say the same of Fundin/Briggs or Mauger Olsen....

Vic Duggan was dominant in the late 1940s!

• Like 1

Some great Posts on here. The 'Briggo'/Fundin discussion is very interesting. 'Briggo' was always my favourite Rider along with Peter Craven who I never saw ride.

Having read carefully the Norbold Posts on here I'm afraid I must concede that overall Fundin seems to have been a slightly better Rider than 'Briggo'. In conceding that 'Briggo' is still my all time favourite Rider. I have met him a few times and he too is a great bloke.

Most Speedway Riders I have met seem to be genuine guys and Freddie Williams was a true Gentleman. Sadly missed.

• Like 2

I am quite amazed by everyone's memory on this thread...

When I moved many moons ago I torched years and years worth of programs, which I now regret and obviously have nothing to refer too..

One particularly memory I do have is either GB, England or Swindon Vs Russia where a promising young Kevin Pope beat some of the big name Russians at the time.

I believe the Gordev brothers rode for Russia and Kevin Pope was never really heard of again....

There was an a absolutely massive crowd there..

• Like 1

Can just imagine Pope lining up alongside Monk,Priest and Bishop amongst other riders with a religious surname :P

• Like 1

Interestingly, Rickardsson never once reached an 11.00 average. The three most recent riders to do that were Jason Crump, Sam Ermolenko and Hans Nielsen.

Rickardsson didn't seem to possess the same determination to totally dominate every single meeting across a season in the same manner as Fundin, Mauger or Nielsen.

All the best

Rob

Id of taken Crump over Trick in the elite league any day of the week. And would of taken adams over him.

Yet on the world stage rickardsson was superior to the pair of them