British Speedway Forum
stratton

Your Own Great Memories.?

I was there as well. Another brilliant memory, indeed.

For about a month, Split almost returned to his form of the early 1950s when he was one of the greatest riders of the age. Although still just about heat leader class following his return to racing in 1960, he was nothing like the rider he had once been. Suddenly, towards the end of the 1961 season, the old Waterman reappeared. On 28 June, in a league match against Norwich, he beat the current World Champion, Ove Fundin twice. New Cross was one of Fundin’s favourite tracks, he was track record holder at 57.0 seconds and was very rarely beaten there. Not only did Waterman beat him twice in the match on his way to a paid maximum, but he also beat him in the second half in a Gold Cup qualifying heat. The following week, Waterman won the New Cross qualifying round of the World Championship, beating the likes of Nigel Boocock, Bob Andrews and Ken McKinlay in the process. A full maximum against Coventry came next and then he top scored for the winning England team in the World Team Championship qualifying round with 13 points, For the New Cross fans, it was a real privilege to see Waterman recapture the form that had made him one of the greatest riders of all times, albeit for just a short period.

I must say it's fascinating reading about the older fans memories. Split Waterman was my dad's favourite rider. He was a Harringay fan and then supported Hackney from their re-opening in 1963. He often told me stories about Split being a bit of a 'character'.

Was it true he spent time in prison for stealing gold?

My earliest speedway memory is seeing a rider in yellow leathers fly from the gate, and seemingly win every time! I would say that rider would've been Dag Lovaas in 74.

I must have seen riders like Bengt Jansson and Gary Middleton at Hackney as my whole family were speedway mad, but I can't remember them.

• Like 1

My greatest memory goes back to October 24th 1964. Second Leg of PL Cup Final- CH v. Newport. Newport won first leg at Somerton Park 58-38. Surely we could defend a 20 point lead.. Particularly since between the first and second leg the Heathens Heat leader George Major was injured and unable to ride. As the meeting progressed it was clear some CH riders were determined to win-Ivor Brown got his usual max of 15 pts, John Edwards got 13 from 7!! rides and John Hart also did well. The lead kept shrinking and a 5-1 in last heat could give them a draw-several busloads of Newport fans were there including me. Huge tension, foggy midland night. The last heat ended 4-2 to Cradley -Hart,Bradley,Totney, Erskine -so Wasps lost 57-39 but won 2 pts on aggregate. CH was the first away track I ever visited and I remember the great friendliness of the track and supporters-had a couple of pints with a bunch of them. What an evening. Always had a soft spot for Cradley ever since-still do!

• Like 1

I was there as well. Another brilliant memory, indeed.

For about a month, Split almost returned to his form of the early 1950s when he was one of the greatest riders of the age. Although still just about heat leader class following his return to racing in 1960, he was nothing like the rider he had once been. Suddenly, towards the end of the 1961 season, the old Waterman reappeared. On 28 June, in a league match against Norwich, he beat the current World Champion, Ove Fundin twice. New Cross was one of Fundin’s favourite tracks, he was track record holder at 57.0 seconds and was very rarely beaten there. Not only did Waterman beat him twice in the match on his way to a paid maximum, but he also beat him in the second half in a Gold Cup qualifying heat. The following week, Waterman won the New Cross qualifying round of the World Championship, beating the likes of Nigel Boocock, Bob Andrews and Ken McKinlay in the process. A full maximum against Coventry came next and then he top scored for the winning England team in the World Team Championship qualifying round with 13 points, For the New Cross fans, it was a real privilege to see Waterman recapture the form that had made him one of the greatest riders of all times, albeit for just a short period.

Great to see great riders comeback and show there real class, Waterman often does not get the regognition he deserved.I never ever see him ride but i have a prized picture of Split/ and the great Vic Duggan took in 1950.
  • Like 1

I must say it's fascinating reading about the older fans memories. Split Waterman was my dad's favourite rider. He was a Harringay fan and then supported Hackney from their re-opening in 1963. He often told me stories about Split being a bit of a 'character'.

Was it true he spent time in prison for stealing gold?

My earliest speedway memory is seeing a rider in yellow leathers fly from the gate, and seemingly win every time! I would say that rider would've been Dag Lovaas in 74.

I must have seen riders like Bengt Jansson and Gary Middleton at Hackney as my whole family were speedway mad, but I can't remember them.

Dag Lovaas...one of my favourites! Superlative on wet tracks! Don't get me started on 'Cass the Gas!"

Dag Lovaas...one of my favourites! Superlative on wet tracks! Don't get me started on 'Cass the Gas!"

Got a superb full lot in the Mike Keen benefit meeting, at Hackney when he challenged for the helmet he showed great form.He was also decent for Reading/Oxford i don't think he was keen on the White City track to be honest.
  • Like 1

Remember well the occasion "Uncle Len' tried a fast one (and got away with it!) when City 'Rebels' rode at Hackney in 1977. Mick Hines was down in the programme to ride as a guest replacement for Marek Cieslak only for Len, as the meeting was due to start, put in a protest stating that Mick had ridden at Waterden Road only the week before. He was technically right but it did go against the grain considering that Mick's name was already printed in the programme. Len obviously wanted to play his card leaving 'The Rebels' a rider short! However cometh the hour (if I recall Roger Abel was promoted into the team as a replacement) 'The Rebels' went about sorting out "The Hawks' in an enthralling match. The race that sticks forever in my mind was the wheel to wheel battle between Gordon Kennett and Hackney's guest Peter Collins. Gordon on the inside and Peter the outside...no quarter given and no dirty stuff...just respect for each other. The race ended in a dead heat and, yes, 'The Rebels' just pipped 'The Hawks' to win the match! A great meeting on a perfect race track!

Blimey, what a memory! My main recollection of 77 (apart from Dave Morton's sickening crash) is how good Keith White was. He was averaging about 8 points a meeting and was five rides away from his world final debut, all at the age of 21.

Then he seemed to lose it and was never the same after that, even though he didn't suffer any injuries. I guess he just peaked early.

• Like 1

gulf oil british league....amazing times, big league, teams just once a year (except cup), no doubling up, no double points,

same 1-7 (not going awol for gps), top quality individual events, golden helmet, large crowds!!

Edited by ColinMills
  • Like 3

gulf oil british league....amazing times, big league, teams just once a year (except cup), no doubling up, no double points,

same 1-7 (not going awol for gps), top quality individual events, golden helmet, large crowds!!

As the song goes- Those were the days, my friend!

• Like 3

As the song goes- Those were the days, my friend!

Great days teams like Halifax, Sheffield,you only got to see once at home a real treat so different to today's fixtures.
  • Like 2

even lowly teams were good to see, knowing you wouldn't see them again that year. dave Morton, reg wilsons Sheffield, riders like john boulger, chris pusey, john titman, ashby, kilby, all with teams that couldn't win the league, but still interesting to watch..

Maybe it's a case of rose tinted classes but even the second halves seemed important to fans and riders back in the day.were they stopped for financial reasons or did everyone lose interest in them?cant remember the reason now

• Like 2

Maybe it's a case of rose tinted classes but even the second halves seemed important to fans and riders back in the day.were they stopped for financial reasons or did everyone lose interest in them?cant remember the reason now

riders were fully commited at individual meetings mid season, before world qualifiers. it wouldn't happen today.

loved individual leathers as well

• Like 1

When Hackney were away to Wolverhampton (the only other Friday night British league team) throughout the seventies, we used to hold an individual meeting called Superama with a line-up to equal any world final, to keep the regulars happy. Wolves had such good crowds that they weren't bothered about the lack of away support.

Can you imagine something like that happening today!

Got a superb full lot in the Mike Keen benefit meeting, at Hackney when he challenged for the helmet he showed great form.He was also decent for Reading/Oxford i don't think he was keen on the White City track to be honest.

Remember it well. The weather was awful! He used to practice on ice to perfect his throttle control. Desperately wanted to ride for Oxford and got his wish but I think that he lost his enthusiasm (and nerve) when 'The Rebels' moved to Wood Lane. Never mastered the track. I think that he was still riding a JAP and the engine just didn't suit the White City circuit. I actually presented him with a bottle of bubbly at the last match of the season at Cowley!

When Hackney were away to Wolverhampton (the only other Friday night British league team) throughout the seventies, we used to hold an individual meeting called Superama with a line-up to equal any world final, to keep the regulars happy. Wolves had such good crowds that they weren't bothered about the lack of away support.

Can you imagine something like that happening today!

Hardly. :sad: :sad: :sad: