British Speedway Forum
stevehone

Ulrich Ostergaard Testimonial

looking forward to this at Peterborough, hopefully some top Danes competing

• Like 2

He was brilliant in reading's last season. It was fitting that he won the last ever meeting at smallmead.

PETERBOROUGH captain Ulrich Ostergaard has put back plans to stage a testimonial on the eve of the 2016 season.

The Panthers skipper's meeting, a reward for his lengthy service to British speedway, had initially been earmarked as the curtain-raiser to the new campaign.

But, following discussions with the club's East of England Showground landlords regarding possible dates, and a number of riders he is keen to involve, the decision has been taken to delay the event.

Panthers can confirm their season will launch on Sunday, March 20 and hope to be in a position to confirm details of the opening meeting in the coming days.

Promoter Ged Rathbone said: "A testimonial is not an easy meeting to put together - especially when it features riders of the stature of some of those who are keen to race for Ulrich.

"We're keen to open our season on the weekend of March 19/20, but there are already a couple of big individual meetings scheduled with the opening of the new National Stadium on the Saturday and Chris Harris' testimonial at Coventry the following day.

"We're now looking to see if we can find a suitable date during the summer for Ulrich and we're also working on another exciting meeting to start the season."

Peterborough have provisionally pencilled in their Press & Practice Day for Friday, March 18.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info Blu. Makes sense to keep it away from other big testimonials/meetings.

• Like 1

Hope it's in the summer - if lucky and weather is good creates a much better atmosphere for a testimonial rather than a mad dash for the car park as soon as the last heat is run in March when it's usually freezing.

• Like 1

TOP STARS SIGN UP FOR ULRICH

Saturday January 23, 2016

PETERBOROUGH skipper Ulrich Ostergaard will stage his testimonial this year after all.

The Panthers star has been granted special permission by the British Speedway Promoters' Association (BSPA) to celebrate his fine service to the sport in this country on Sunday, March 13.

And Ostergaard has wasted no time in unveiling the first two terrific riders in the line-up for what is set to be a spectacular event to launch the 2016 season at the East of England Showground.

Top world stars, and Panthers greats, Hans Andersen and Niels Kristian Iversen, have already accepted invitations to take part.

Andersen and Iversen were also part of the Peterborough side, along with Ostergaard, that famously won the Elite League title back in 2006.

Ostergaard said: "It looked like I was going to have to put my testimonial on hold, but the BSPA have very kindly allowed us to bring it forward by a week.

"We're working hard behind the scenes to put together what should be a really good line-up.

"I'm hoping we can involve the current Peterborough team for 2016 and some top riders who I've been lucky to race alongside during my career.

"I'm thrilled that Hans and Puk have already agreed to ride. It will be great to have them back at the Showground 10 years after that brilliant Elite League title win."

Ostergaard hopes to announce further riders to take part in his testimonial in the coming days as well as finalising the start time.

Panthers promoter Ged Rathbone said: "Ulrich has earned his testimonial through many years of dedicated service to British speedway.

"I didn't want him to have to wait until 2017 to stage his meeting and I'm delighted we've got the green light to run on March 13.

"It will be a superb start to our season and I hope fans turn out in force to show their appreciation for a man who absolutely loves being a Peterborough rider."

The addition of Ostergaard's testimonial to the fixture list means Panthers will now stage their Press & Practice Day on Friday, March 11 rather than the previously advertised date of March 18.

http://www.peterboroughpanthers.co/news.php?extend.2704.2

Kenneth Bjerre and Mads Kornieliussen added

• Like 2

TWO MORE STARS SET FOR ULRICH'S SPECTACULAR

Thursday January 28, 2016

PETERBOROUGH skipper Ulrich Ostergaard has added two more top Danish stars to the exciting line-up for his '10 Year Spectacular'.

Ostergaard's testimonial meeting will bring the curtain up on the 2016 season at the East of England Showground on Sunday, March 13.

And he can now confirm that former World Championship leader Kenneth Bjerre and fellow former Panthers rider Mads Korneliussen will compete in the event.

They join countrymen Niels Krisian Iversen and Hans Andersen, who won the Elite League with Panthers alongside Ostergaard in 2006, in agreeing to an Alwalton outing.

Ostergaard said: "It's great to have Kenneth and Mads on board for my testimonial.

"They are two top guys who I've been riding with and against since we were kids.

"The line-up is coming together really nicely and we've got more riders to announce in the next few days."

Ostergaard is still deliberating over whether his '10 Year Spectacular' will be a team or individual event.

Prices have been set at £15 for adults, £12 for concessions and £5 for children aged between 12 and 16.

The start-time has been provisionally set at 4pm, but that is subject to change at this stage.

Ostergaard will also be in action the day before his testimonial.

He has accepted an invitation to ride in the Ben Fund Bonanza at King's Lynn on Saturday, March 12.

• Like 2

Danny King added

• Like 1