Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayPortal

Isle Of Wight Wightlink Warriors 2016

HI Stoke Potter, To my knowledge there isn't going to be a change to the shape, however this coming weekend the Weekend Warriors team are getting together to work solely on the track to get it 100% ready for sign off and approval etc. So more details of the track will come to light after the weekend.

Andy

• Like 1

And new friends Wightlink Flyer! :)

And it is the NEW friends that will be the key to success. :t:

• Like 1

Personally I think the logo needs to be changed Andy it doesn't look very good the people around the outside but that's a personal oppinion

agree mate , it looks like a playschool group

The speedway ticket including bus to and from ryde, Pompey to ryde on the cat and stadium entry used to be about 23 quid I think.

• Like 1

I believe it was around that price although I am not certain myself. The promotion are working hard on securing the finance deals for entry/transport etc, and as soon as it is confirmed I will post it up on here.

SpeediBee & Jubileeclip, it has been mentioned before, so how about I put the comments regarding the round logo to the promoters and see if I can put up a video response when I am next on the Island?

Also, any other questions that anyone else would like to ask?

Andy

I believe it was around that price although I am not certain myself. The promotion are working hard on securing the finance deals for entry/transport etc, and as soon as it is confirmed I will post it up on here.

SpeediBee & Jubileeclip, it has been mentioned before, so how about I put the comments regarding the round logo to the promoters and see if I can put up a video response when I am next on the Island?

Andy

Any idea yet on a date for opening night? I guess it's too early to speculate on opponent or if it's an individual meeting etc.

Andy

Andy, I've probably missed it but has the regular race night been announced yet? If so, this should really be on the home page of the web-site.

I also concur about the logo. I appreciate that the Club is pursuing a friendly, community, family feel to it but if you are going to call yourselves the Wightlink Warriors, then the characters on the logo don't fit that at all, imo. Not at all 'Island Warrior' like. The trouble is, individual characters already appear on the merchandising, T shirts, coffee cups, etc, and on individual pages on the web-site, so if you do change the logo, then these would need to be altered too.

(I had thought it was odd that there were eight characters on the logo, when speedway teams have seven riders, but I guess you have signed a number eight in George Piper, so fair enough maybe.)

Also, there seems to me to be a lot more up to date and relevant information about the Club on your Speedway Portal web-site rather than on the Club's own site. Is it planned to transfer some if not all of that across at some stage?

Due to it's unique location, I would've thought that any info on IOW attractions, places to stay, eat, drink, transport links, stadium location, etc. should really be on the Club's web-site and not on the Portal.

I do wish you all the best of fortune and am very pleased to see the IOW back on the speedway map.

• Like 1

Is there much room at the stadium to allow Camping , Caravans , Camper buses etc to stay overnight ? or even for a couple of nights , Might attract one or two to make a bit of a short break from a trip , could even bring a few Bob in for the club from ground rent

Hi guys, I will do my best to answer the above points.

Islanders15 = As of yet nothing is confirmed for the opening date or in fact what type of meeting it will be. I assume that once the confirmed national league fixture list is produced an announcement will be made. I am pretty sure that the promoters have a plan in action for the type of event and date, but nothing has officially been announced to date.

Speedibee = Great question, I will get an answer to you shortly.

macca56 = Yes, regular race night is going to be Thursday's, and thank you for pointing out it is missing from the home page. It is a good point to get it on there so will be looking into that a little later today along with timings etc.

With regards the logos, much feedback has come in and many discussions have taken place on many platforms, all points considered though the decision on the logos has been made so they will be sticking around. Although, I will change my avatar picture if it annoys you that much! ;)

7/8 man teams and warriors. Personally I love the fact that a number 8 has been signed. It helps the team in many many ways, and would love to see more clubs add an 8th rider, so in answer to your statement yes I believe the 8 warriors was on the cards from the start due to this.

Just to explain a little about the difference between the media channel (Portal) and a website.

The Portal is not solely a website, it also has other avenues it is tied with such as the add-on (app) etc, so it is constructed to work with those, not as a stand alone website project. The portal mainly delivers visual media first and foremost so yes it has a website, but the website plays only a part in the portal framework.

In the Warriors channel under "Island Attractions", you will find videos, not text/times/explanations/directions etc. The attractions section should be included within the channel, but in the video aspect, therefore allowing the websites to include the written information. The Portal reach viewers that websites and to be honest current speedway media avenues don't hit, so to show that the Island is a great place with lots going on etc may entice travelers? I do agree and it is in the plans to have this section also in the website with text and pictures etc.

The Portal does not replace websites, more aimed to compliment not only adding what is missing, but getting it "out there" to a wider audience. And not just for the Warriors, for all teams/riders/sponsors/countries etc.

Andy :)

• Like 2

Efforts continue all over this coming weekend as the club strives to ensure that everything is ship shape for the successful return of speedway to the Isle of Wight come the start of the season. Barry Bishop and Martin Widman will be joined by a willing band of volunteers, an essential part of the club's "Team Warrior" concept, to carry out further work at Smallbrook with an invitation being extended to anyone else willing and able to help, even if only able to for a short time, to join those already marked down to help out.

Hard work for sure but a fun time assured as well judging by reports on similar weekends that have already taken place.

Hi guys, I will do my best to answer the above points.

macca56 = Yes, regular race night is going to be Thursday's, and thank you for pointing out it is missing from the home page. It is a good point to get it on there so will be looking into that a little later today along with timings etc.

With regards the logos, much feedback has come in and many discussions have taken place on many platforms, all points considered though the decision on the logos has been made so they will be sticking around. Although, I will change my avatar picture if it annoys you that much! ;)

7/8 man teams and warriors. Personally I love the fact that a number 8 has been signed. It helps the team in many many ways, and would love to see more clubs add an 8th rider, so in answer to your statement yes I believe the 8 warriors was on the cards from the start due to this.

Just to explain a little about the difference between the media channel (Portal) and a website.

The Portal is not solely a website, it also has other avenues it is tied with such as the add-on (app) etc, so it is constructed to work with those, not as a stand alone website project. The portal mainly delivers visual media first and foremost so yes it has a website, but the website plays only a part in the portal framework.

In the Warriors channel under "Island Attractions", you will find videos, not text/times/explanations/directions etc. The attractions section should be included within the channel, but in the video aspect, therefore allowing the websites to include the written information. The Portal reach viewers that websites and to be honest current speedway media avenues don't hit, so to show that the Island is a great place with lots going on etc may entice travelers? I do agree and it is in the plans to have this section also in the website with text and pictures etc.

The Portal does not replace websites, more aimed to compliment not only adding what is missing, but getting it "out there" to a wider audience. And not just for the Warriors, for all teams/riders/sponsors/countries etc.

Andy :)

Thanks for the feedback and explanations Mr Hague. (I appreciate the Portal is a separate entity from the Club web-site, but just felt that the web-site could do with the inclusion of some of the content that appears to feature on the Portal only at present as, IMO, most visitors to the Island would most likely search for info on the web-site first and possibly only look there. I do agree that the Portal capture a different audience and may entice people to travel, also the visual media is improving and I thought the video that was produced for the meeting before Christmas was excellent. Agreed about the No. 8 too, although as Kent Kings have found, it is difficult to recruit and keep one.)

As regards the logo, please don't change your avatar - certainly not on our account and not to a self portrait - just kidding.

All the best with everything.

Just being the sad person I am looking at maps and came across your track. The car park looks tiny! hope you fill it or you are in trouble!