Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayPortal

Isle Of Wight Wightlink Warriors 2016

Just being the sad person I am looking at maps and came across your track. The car park looks tiny! hope you fill it or you are in trouble!

I can remember when the field behind the back straight was always full of cars!

I can remember when the field behind the back straight was always full of cars!

Yep...remember those days well Islander.

Roy out in the road, directing traffic and selling ice creams to those stuck in the traffic jam.....that he had caused!!...and cricket balls being hit through car windscreens in the overflow carpark in the field you mention.

Good days indeed.

Edited by wightlink flyer
  • Like 1

Yep...remember those days well Islander.

Roy out in the road, directing traffic and selling ice creams to those stuck in the traffic jam.....that he had caused!!...and cricket balls being hit through car windscreens in the overflow carpark in the field you mention.

Good days indeed.

sounds like good days for the local depot of auto windscreens.

The Wightlink Warriors have today released pricing for the 2016 season. The Warriors promotion have put together an attractive pricing structure maintaining or reducing previous prices to attract new and existing speedway fans.

Admission Prices

Adults £11

Seniors (65+) £8

Children 16 and Under Free

Students with Card £6

Service Personnel £8

Disabled Pay the appropriate price. Carer goes free.

Season Tickets (includes a programme)

Adults £185

Seniors £140

The prices are based on a planned 20 meeting programme and purchasers must provide the Warriors with two passport photographs.

Programmes £2.50

Wightlink Travel

All travel on Wightlink is discounted if booked using a code from our website - coming soon.

For foot passengers travelling on the FastCat boats departing from Portsmouth at 16.40, 17.15 ad 17.40, there will be free travel from the bus station at the town end of Ryde Pier to Smallbrook and back if booked prior to midday on race day by emailing speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk

Taxis will be on hand at the stadium to take travellers back to Ryde Pier after the meetings.

* Please note that the current weight limit on Ryde Pier prevents us using anything larger than a 9 seater on the pier but if there are people that cannot make the walk along the pier, please call the Speedway Office (number coming) or email speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk and special transport will be arranged.

• Like 2

The Wightlink Warriors will be formally introduced to the fans, sponsors and press on April 2nd.

Rider introductions to the media will be followed by a structured practise session where fans and sponsors will be able to see their team get to grips with the Smallbrook race track for the first time in Warrior race jackets.

Admission to the rider introductions and practice day is free to all, and it is planned to follow with a start of season” party that evening in the Premier Lounge at the stadium.

Timings for the event will be released closer to the date.

From a consumer's point of view I think that's a brilliant pricing structure and is clearly aimed at being affordable to everyone so I hope people take advantage of the club's generosity and it doesn't turn into being too cheap! :t: I wonder if the Warriors will be the only club offering reductions to service personnel and the disabled, plus as a student it's beneficial to see not just any price reduction, but a significant price reduction for students, as far too many places nowadays expect us to pay the exact same full adult price as someone in full-time employment!

• Like 3

The Wightlink Warriors will open the 2016 season with the Vince Mapley Memorial Trophy meeting. The meeting will celebrate the life of Vince who was a member of Team Warrior until he unfortunately passed away at the stadium whilst helping the team at Smallbrook.

The season's opener will take place on Thursday April 7th and will include all 8 of the Warriors in the individual meeting and they will be joined by a further 4 riders. The trophy will be contested over 16 heats and with other surprises coming along it's sure to be a great meeting. As it's the season opener it is bound to be a night full of pride for everyone who has helped in the return of speedway to Smallbrook.

Warriors Skipper Brendan Johnson said "Over the years of racing at the island, Vince was always a top guy, from helping me unload my race van to just being there for a chat if you needed it. He was a a true gentleman, so for our season opener to be in his honour is great and I will be trying to win it with pride. I would like to thank each and every member of Team Warrior, our sponsors and the promotion for getting the Warriors back on track in 2016."

Warriors v Falcons v Wildcats v The Saints
The second meeting of the season for the Warriors looks to be an absolute cracker with a 4TT between Isle of Wight, Exeter, Weymouth and Southampton on April 14th. The meeting will see all 8 Warriors joined by another 8 riders to make 4 teams of 4. Warriors will be split amongst the 4 teams, with riders representing teams closest to where they live or have previously been associated with.
Commercial Director Barry Bishop said, "This is going to be a fantastic meeting with 3 famous sides returning to the track at Smallbrook. We hope that if this meeting proves to be the success we think it will be, we can repeat it in the years to come. Personally, I cannot wait to watch this meeting and welcome our friends from Exeter, Weymouth and Southampton to Smallbrook."

Islander 15, glad you like the pricing structure. A lot of thought and discussions have gone into these figures to make sure that whilst it works for the club, the fans get the maximum benefit that can be passed on through the admission prices.

Andy

• Like 1

Since day 1 the elephant in the room is that god awful logo, i've seen on Facebook that it's now been transferred to merchandise . Was it designed by someone in the clubs 8 year old kid ? It's awful, it looks so amateurish.

I think IOW should have a competition for all those picking at the logo... see who can do better

I think IOW should have a competition for all those picking at the logo... see who can do better

I think Islander15's already won that one (with one small change)...

• Like 1

Countershaftcounter, I don't think it's an elephant in the room anymore as people have voiced their opinions on the logo both on this forum and other social media outlets. Opinions from all angles have been listened to and the decision has been made to go with this logo, so naturally it will feature on the clubs merchandise.

Would be great though to get your feedback on last nights 4 announcements on pricing/press day/first match and 4TT?

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Can't fault the pricing structure, Andy, can only praise it and the Club appears to have set-up very well from Press, Practice & Party Day on 2nd, through the Individual meeting and the 4TT involving all 8 x Warriors. Hopefully the weather treats you well and all will be well attended, go off safely and attracts some ex, lapsed and new speedway supporters along with your old fan base.

It will be interesting to learn at what level the Wightlink Travel discount is set and the make up of mainlanders and islanders that attend your home meetings.

We've discussed the logo previously and one thing you can say is that from the Facebook page it appears to have got some kids involved, which can only be a good thing (by the way, love the clip of the human car impressions).

• Like 2

I think its a very good decision to try and get your team out for some competitive practice and all the home riders will benefit from the Vince Mapley Memorial individual (beautiful tribute btw) & the 4TT.

It will also give a rough idea of potential attendances for the season as it will be mostly IOW fans attending each event barring a few hardened Exeter supporters and those just delighted to see Smallbrook back.