British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayPortal

Isle Of Wight Wightlink Warriors 2016

That's a really good, well thought out set of admission costs. As I said some time ago, it is vital to make it affordable for a family on holiday to attend and £22 for two adults and their children (however many) hits the mark really well. Years ago, when the Islanders were in the premier league and it was a flat £20 for a family, there were many who thought it worth trying even if they had never attended speedway before. After being asked to do so, I spent one evening a couple of years ago explaining the basics as they happened to a family who had "just given it a try" and they were amazed to see the racing itself which they thought great but to also find that the scoring, team riding etc were also going on. Pointing out as a rider was chasing the dirt for an attempted cut back to pass or how a position was being defended meant that they could see the skill and the race developing. They were really grateful and said that they would never have realised so much was going on in a race without a bit of help. Sometimes us regulars take these things for granted but newcomers do not come equipped with experience or knowing what they are looking for! It might even be a good idea to put a basic article in the programme each week aimed at the newcomer (especially for those on holiday trying it for the first time) describing these things, even with a few diagrams to show the various racing lines, the starting procedure bonus points etc

I will look forward to attending again later in season when I am on the Island.

• Like 3

Countershaftcounter, I don't think it's an elephant in the room anymore as people have voiced their opinions on the logo both on this forum and other social media outlets. Opinions from all angles have been listened to and the decision has been made to go with this logo, so naturally it will feature on the clubs merchandise.

Would be great though to get your feedback on last nights 4 announcements on pricing/press day/first match and 4TT?

Many thanks

Andy

By saying that its the 'elephant in the room' I think he means that its the only thing that the new IOW set up have made a mess of. It is, in my opinion, pretty awful and I think most share that view.

Having said that, in the overall scheme of matters its absolutely tiny and its fair to say that in everything else - especially for me the move to Thursday Speedway - they have got it pretty much spot on :approve::t:

Many thanks for your involvement here, its much appreciated.

Thank you very much for all your feedback, I can assure you it all helps and is taken on board.

45year = Great idea regarding newcomers, will have a think on this one.

Thanks guys

Andy

Apologies if this info is detailed on other topics, but is there any definite date when the NL fixtures are due to be released?

IOW fixtures on Thurs 26th May & Thurs 1st Sept are of particular interest to me (as they follow the Poole v Belle Vue clashes the night before) & I'm looking at hotels for doing one of these trips.

Apologies if this info is detailed on other topics, but is there any definite date when the NL fixtures are due to be released?

IOW fixtures on Thurs 26th May & Thurs 1st Sept are of particular interest to me (as they follow the Poole v Belle Vue clashes the night before) & I'm looking at hotels for doing one of these trips.

Fixtures should be out next month. Now that the EL & PL fixtures are confirmed they can go ahead and plan dates that don't clash. I know that as of earlier this week there hadn't been the first draft sent to clubs yet. Though the first date you mention is half-term isn't it, so I'd be pretty confident that there's a fixture on that date!

• Like 1

not sure on there first 2 meetings 12 rider individuals dont really work and its not really weymouth southampton and exeter

i disagree about the individual i think people do like to see 'winner takes all' meetings , the ben fund is going back to one after 2 years. if there's a problem it's because this one is 8 i.o.w riders plus 4 guests. with exeter in the news again a few falcons fans might travel over but both meetings for me are really for i.o.w fans.

i agree they are for IOW fans just think it wrong to name other teams and just put in IOW riders

as for individual meeting with only12 riders not all riders race each other so can be a bit of a farce

Ah but in the 12 rider handicap final is when the fun starts

I've heard rumours of a Le Mans style start for the final

Sorry for the late reply Captain, as of yet there has been no announcement on the additional 4 riders for the opening individual meeting or the 4tt teams. However, I do believe Weymouth and Exeter have announced some riders who will be included in their teams I believe on social media.

Andy

Praying for a Thursday 1st September meeting - I'm on holiday on IoW that week :)

Also start praying to the sun god :drink:

Sorry for the late reply Captain, as of yet there has been no announcement on the additional 4 riders for the opening individual meeting or the 4tt teams. However, I do believe Weymouth and Exeter have announced some riders who will be included in their teams I believe on social media.

Andy

Thanks Andy ,do you know when they will be announced ?