British Speedway Forum
AlanF

Work Permits - A Novel Approach

Various meetings in Australia is exactly what is currently used?!?

Qualifying Meetings I meant. A set of Meetings which would be run to get Riders qualified to ride over here.

Say five Meetings at five different Tracks and the top five or ten or whatever number you like qualify to ride in Britain.

It is only an idea.

How would that be better than the current system of running six different meetings which riders can qualify from?

Who would go to watch these extra meetings, and how would it be better than the current system?

What it should be IMHO is the top "x" from the aussie final plus those who have met the required averages . Top 4 from state is ludicrous

• Like 2

How would that be better than the current system of running six different meetings which riders can qualify from?

Who would go to watch these extra meetings, and how would it be better than the current system?

What it should be IMHO is the top "x" from the aussie final plus those who have met the required averages . Top 4 from state is ludicrous

Basically it would be exactly the same Riders in all of the Meetings.

Hope that helps.

It's called the Australian Senior Solo Speedway Championship, held over 4 rounds this year, from which the top 8 or so should be made visa eligible, the number of qualifiers being adjusted to reflect the number of top riders not bothering to enter.

• Like 1

Basically it would be exactly the same Riders in all of the Meetings.

Hope that helps.

And that differs from the current aussie individual championship how? Edited by waihekeaces1

Are there similar 'qualification' requirements placed on other foreign riders. Australia and GB have a long history of flexible visa and working arrangements. Why make this stipulation now. It borders on discrimination. Laughable.

Other than requirements for Australian riders, eligibility for the Sponsored Migrants Policy are stated currently as:

Argentinian International Championships – Winner

Canadian Individual Championships – Winner

New Zealand Individual Championships – Winner
Russian Individual Championships – Top 4
South African National Championships – Winner
Ukrainian Individual Championships – Winner
United States Individual AMA Championships – Top 4

Are there similar 'qualification' requirements placed on other foreign riders. Australia and GB have a long history of flexible visa and working arrangements. Why make this stipulation now. It borders on discrimination. Laughable.

Australia actually poses reasonably strict requirements on Brits wanting to work there.

British and Australian speedway are also not really comparable in terms of employment prospects. You can't make a living riding speedway in Australia, so a few European riders going over for a 2 or 3-month working holiday cannot really be said to be taking employment away from the locals. In fact, they probably help bolster the meetings in many cases.

By contrast, Britain has a professional speedway set-up offering 8 months of fairly regular employment, and it's not unreasonable that if Australia has restrictions on Brits working there, then speedway should not be exempted as a professional industry.

I'd have no problem with reciprocal working rights between the UK, Australia and New Zealand (after a certain qualification period), but given the fuss about immigration in both countries, I can't see that happening any time soon.

It's hardly discrimination. Anyone from a non-EU country needs a work permit to work in the UK. Lawyer, banker or speedway rider. Frankly the fact we let them into the PL at all they should be thankful as them riding in the PL really doesn't meet the basic criteria for work permits of being the very best etc.

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:
you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach recognised by your sport’s governing body as internationally established at the highest level
your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
you meet the other eligibility requirements
Edited by SCB

And that differs from the current aussie individual championship how?

You can be pedantic at times.

My suggestion is for Riders who are of Premier League standard or worse. NOT Australian Champions.

They would be riding in order to qualify to race here - not win Championships.

You can be pedantic at times.

My suggestion is for Riders who are of Premier League standard or worse. NOT Australian Champions.

They would be riding in order to qualify to race here - not win Championships.

You can be a bit stupid at times.

Just look at scb's post.....and anyway,why would we want to hold meetings for riders who are "of PL standard or worse" ??????? Beyond belief from someone who is always moaning about immigrants to be honest

You can be a bit stupid at times.

Just look at scb's post.....and anyway,why would we want to hold meetings for riders who are "of PL standard or worse" ??????? Beyond belief from someone who is always moaning about immigrants to be honest

(Sigh) .................................. and you can be tasteless at times - but I don't let that bother me so you will just have to put up with my stupidity I'm afraid.

Because we are talking about bringing over untried Australians. If we had a Competition as I suggest - the very top Riders of said Competition would qualify to come here.

(Sigh) .................................. and you can be tasteless at times - but I don't let that bother me so you will just have to put up with my stupidity I'm afraid.

Because we are talking about bringing over untried Australians. If we had a Competition as I suggest - the very top Riders of said Competition would qualify to come here.

You are talking Pl standard or worse!!! That is hardly "the very top Riders" Make your mind up.The Australian championship does the job without trying to make some other competition up that probably the authorities wouldn't even recognise,the public wouldn't flock to and you might find it hard for a promoter to host .It just doesn't make sense

You are talking Pl standard or worse!!! That is hardly "the very top Riders" Make your mind up.The Australian championship does the job without trying to make some other competition up that probably the authorities wouldn't even recognise,the public wouldn't flock to and you might find it hard for a promoter to host .It just doesn't make sense

The only thing I can add to what I have aready said is that I was talking about new untried Australian Riders - not the Stars. It was only an idea to find the best of young Australian talent for our Premier League.