British Speedway Forum

Been watching a fair bit of him on YouTube recently and am aware he retired to become an actor.

I wasn't aware however that he was so young.

Was there ever any talk of a comeback etc?

Don't think so, although his acting career didn't last very long. He was the darling of the Cradley Heath fans but he did leave them somewhat in the lurch from what I can remember as he didn't finish the season with them. I'm sure one of those fans will comment later.

He was the darling of British Speedway until the White City meeting where he threw points away to help his USA compatriots.

Edited by KIRKYLANE
  • Like 1

I'll just say that there were other American Riders I liked better - and leave it at that.

• Like 2

I remember he constantly amazed me by getting drive off corners when other top riders struggled

He was the darling of British Speedway until the White City meeting where he threw points away to help his USA compatriots.

I've never understood the hatred for this. :neutral: If it had been one of the English lads helping a fellow rider no one would have complained. For instance if Peter Collins by losing a race could help Chris Morton also qualify then why not? Not doing it would be selfish.

• Like 8

I've never understood the hatred for this. :neutral: If it had been one of the English lads helping a fellow rider no one would have complained. For instance if Peter Collins by losing a race could help Chris Morton also qualify then why not? Not doing it would be selfish.

I'm just guessing, but I think the biggest issue that the crowd had with that race was just how deliberate Bruce made it look.

If he had ridden close to the others and looked like he was maybe making an effort he probably wouldn't have got the same abuse, it would just have been a big talking point about whether or not he tried. He made it blatant that he wasn't trying and the sporting Brits didn't like that one bit.

• Like 6

Don't think so, although his acting career didn't last very long. He was the darling of the Cradley Heath fans but he did leave them somewhat in the lurch from what I can remember as he didn't finish the season with them. I'm sure one of those fans will comment later.

Yep he handed the 82 bl title to the aces by missing the last heathens meetings. Thanks Bruce!

Great rider, no doubt. Not sure that his leaving was the start of the demise of British speedway-can't see that at all. The White City display was the nail in his coffin here. Never one of my favourites, but what told me all I need to know about him were his comments about Kenny Carter in an edition of back track. Carter did a terrible thing, but Penhall's comments were out of order. He never liked Carter and simply used that platform to vilify him. Poor taste from someone who should have known better.

Edited by Dave the Mic
  • Like 1

I'm just guessing, but I think the biggest issue that the crowd had with that race was just how deliberate Bruce made it look.

If he had ridden close to the others and looked like he was maybe making an effort he probably wouldn't have got the same abuse, it would just have been a big talking point about whether or not he tried. He made it blatant that he wasn't trying and the sporting Brits didn't like that one bit.

Yep he handed the 82 bl title to the aces by missing the last heathens meetings. Thanks Bruce!

Whatever Penhall did - it was 33 years ago. Time to forgive - if that was needed? - and also forget but that doesn't happen in British sport generally and most certainly it doesn't seemingly in speedway?. USA-wise I fancy Prnhall was regarded as a patriot for helping his fellow countrymen?

Great rider, no doubt. Not sure that his leaving was the start of the demise of British speedway-can't see that at all. The White City display was the nail in his coffin here. Never one of my favourites, but what told me all I need to know about him were his comments about Kenny Carter in an edition of back track. Carter did a terrible thing, but Penhalls comments were out of order. He never liked Cartwr and simply used that platfo to vilify him. Poor taste from someone who should have known better.

I don't know what Penhall said but in guessing he pointed out that Carter was a prick for killing himself and his wife leaving his children without their parents. Well he was a prick, I say that as someone who has loved watching Kenny on video but try all you like, you'll not convince me he was anything but the lowest of the low as a person.

As for Bruce, typical cheesy American for me. Didn't like him "as a person" from what I've seen on video and read. But as a rider, he could do magic things on a bike.

As for the White City incident, numerous riders have done similar. Joe Screen shut off for Mark Loram in Poland to help him win a World title, Martin Dugard "had an EF" to get Havvy a point in the '99 overseas(?) final to allow Havvy to qualify. Hampel shut off in his last ride of the 2002ish U21 final to let a fellow Pole have a point to get him 3rd after Hampel had already won the title. It happens.

As for the White City incident, numerous riders have done similar. Joe Screen shut off for Mark Loram in Poland to help him win a World title, Martin Dugard "had an EF" to get Havvy a point in the '99 overseas(?) final to allow Havvy to qualify. Hampel shut off in his last ride of the 2002ish U21 final to let a fellow Pole have a point to get him 3rd after Hampel had already won the title. It happens.

You are right about Screeny helping Mark to win the 2000 World title, but any fellow countryman would do the same..

You are right about Screeny helping Mark to win the 2000 World title, but any fellow countryman would do the same..

Very true. As I said previously - it's time to forgive-and-forget Bruce Penhall and his support of fellow Americans 33 years ago. :approve: