British Speedway Forum

Here's Bruce from the Kenny Carter book by Tony Mac:

No controversial at all, in my eyes. Just saying how it is. Many people would agree with such sentiments.

All the best

Rob

I know I do.If that had meant saving the life of an innocent mother,then so be it

I know I do.If that had meant saving the life of an innocent mother,then so be it

I quite agree with you.

Penhall should never have said it that way in the Magazine though.

I don't blame BackTrack for printing it though - they were merely quoting the words of their columnist.

I quite agree with you.

I don't blame BackTrack for printing it though - they were merely quoting the words of their columnist.

This was in the book.Not sure if the same quotes were used in the mag or if they are different quotes that have upset Dave

I'd generally say a book can be more hard hitting than a magazine that people have a subscription to,imo

Edited by iris123

I quite agree with you.

It wasn't in Backtrack. It's from the Kenny Carter book, "Tragedy". I did make that clear.

And it's worth reading the whole quote (not just the bits that caught your eye!), including the first couple of paragraphs, which state that Bruce was uneasy talking about Kenny Carter in the first place.

All the best

Rob

Here's Bruce from the Kenny Carter book by Tony Mac:

"I really don't want to say two words about Kenny Carter. In my eyes he was an absolute mental coward for the way he went and left his kids without parents. There are probably stronger words I could use, but that's what comes to my mind right now.

"The only reason I agreed to talk about him for this book is that the book is going to make some money for his kids. So good luck with the book. I hope it goes well.

"I am a true father, with four kids, and I couldn't, even on my worst day, imagine doing what he did, therefore I don't have one bit of respect for the kid."

AND:

"I've seen that incident (from the 1982 World Final) with Carter from hundreds of different angles, from footage from the people filming CHiPS, and it clearly shows from the back angle that I never hit Kenny when he fell.

"But, you know what... the way I look at it now, after what he did to his wife and children, I wish I would've frickin' put him up in the middle of the grandstand."

No controversial at all, in my eyes. Just saying how it is. Many people would agree with such sentiments.

All the best

Rob

Actually it is controversial, because he did hit Carter's bike and you can see it in the original World of Sport footage.

The rest of it, though, is perfectly reasonable.

It wasn't in Backtrack. It's from the Kenny Carter book, "Tragedy". I did make that clear.

And it's worth reading the whole quote (not just the bits that caught your eye!), including the first couple of paragraphs, which state that Bruce was uneasy talking about Kenny Carter in the first place.

All the best

Rob

My apologies - you are right. Apologies to BackTrack too.

I have not read the Carter book either and I won't be doing so.

Think people need to remember that Penhall's parents died in a plane crash in 1975, he would have been about 18. May explain a bit why he was vocal about the effect on KCs family.

• Like 2

Think people need to remember that Penhall's parents died in a plane crash in 1975, he would have been about 18. May explain a bit why he was vocal about the effect on KCs family.

And of course he was subsequently denied,by a drunk driver, the chance of seeing his son Connor grow up.

Nice Fella!!! :nono: :nono: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Out of interest, how much respect do you have for the Paris shooters?

Given the chance would you not happily knock them "into the frigging granstand"?

• Like 2

And of course he was subsequently denied,by a drunk driver, the chance of seeing his son Connor grow up.

He also saw the effect that Billy Sanders suicide had on his son Dean (Bruce was Deans God son) who commited suicide himself.

If anyone has seen/felt the devastating effect of losing parents, family and friends to suicide or unnaturally early deaths it's Bruce - no wonder he feels bitter towards anyone who does what Kenny did.

Out of interest, how much respect do you have for the Paris shooters?

Given the chance would you not happily knock them "into the frigging granstand"?

I think you know my answer to that.

He should have shown just a little more class in the Book though.

He was asked a question he gave an honest answer. "No comment" doesn't make for much of an interview for a book, or much of a magazine column.thought you'd appreciate someone giving an honest answer?

• Like 1

He was asked a question he gave an honest answer. "No comment" doesn't make for much of an interview for a book, or much of a magazine column.thought you'd appreciate someone giving an honest answer?

I'm sorry - I was brought up not to speak ill of the dead.

I'm sorry - I was brought up not to speak ill of the dead.

I was brought up not to kill people. In fact it's the number 1 rule I live my life by.

I was brought up not to kill people. In fact it's the number 1 rule I live my life by.

Good - you were well brought up.

Not sure what that has to do with the Penhall Book quotes though.

Edited by The White Knight

What is worse are the umpteen books/theories about who Jack the Ripper might have been.A whole range of books and tv programmes have been made.That is talking ill of the dead about someone who can't answer any of the accusations brought against them and could stigmatise any of their living relatives.Calling someone names who was known to have done a dreadful thing doesn't really come onto the scale of things to worry about in this world...........