British Speedway Forum

What is worse are the umpteen books/theories about who Jack the Ripper might have been.A whole range of books and tv programmes have been made.That is talking ill of the dead about someone who can't answer any of the accusations brought against them and could stigmatise any of their living relatives.Calling someone names who was known to have done a dreadful thing doesn't really come onto the scale of things to worry about in this world...........

How can they speak ill of the dead in the Case of 'Jack the Ripper'?

They can't even prove conclusively who he is.

I don't know if you would like to amend your Post? :)

• Like 1

How can they speak ill of the dead in the Case of 'Jack the Ripper'?

They can't even prove conclusively who he is.

I don't know if you would like to amend your Post? :)

No.Either read it again and have a long think or bugger off with your idiotic posts

• Like 1

I'm sorry - I was brought up not to speak ill of the dead.

And that that makes no sense to me. It's not like they can be hurt by it? And before you mention their families, kcs actions hurt them far more than any words anyone can utter. Do you apply that rule to all murderers? Personally, I don't think dying exonerated people from what they did in their lives.
  • Like 2

I don't know what Penhall said but in guessing he pointed out that Carter was a prick for killing himself and his wife leaving his children without their parents. Well he was a prick, I say that as someone who has loved watching Kenny on video but try all you like, you'll not convince me he was anything but the lowest of the low as a person.

As for Bruce, typical cheesy American for me. Didn't like him "as a person" from what I've seen on video and read. But as a rider, he could do magic things on a bike.

As for the White City incident, numerous riders have done similar. Joe Screen shut off for Mark Loram in Poland to help him win a World title, Martin Dugard "had an EF" to get Havvy a point in the '99 overseas(?) final to allow Havvy to qualify. Hampel shut off in his last ride of the 2002ish U21 final to let a fellow Pole have a point to get him 3rd after Hampel had already won the title. It happens.

That may well be but no one was as cynical as Penhall that day at White City, the wheelies didn't help. I paid good money to watch what should have been an individual meeting turn into a Team fiasco. Wasn't too thrilled by the way he walked out of British Speedway and Cradley and absolutely no need to ever mention Kenny Carter after his death. There were some great American characters around at the time but Penhall was lacking in that department i'm afraid

And that that makes no sense to me. It's not like they can be hurt by it? And before you mention their families, kcs actions hurt them far more than any words anyone can utter. Do you apply that rule to all murderers? Personally, I don't think dying exonerated people from what they did in their lives.

No but comments aimed at the dead are generally cowardly and cheap. Simply because they have no right of reply. Nobody will ever know what Carters state of mind was on that day so why was there a need for Penhall to comment. Cheap shot

• Like 3

Nice Fella!!! :nono: :nono: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You evidently intentionally set out to make contrary comments, but this one is just bizarre, he (Penhall) is speaking about a man who shot someone and took their life, that someone he shot is the mother of his children, once you make that decision you don’t deserve to be spoken about respectfully. I wouldn’t simply reserve or pass judgement or comment on Hitler if asked simply because he is dead, dying doesn’t change the persona you chose to consciously create.

No but comments aimed at the dead are generally cowardly and cheap. Simply because they have no right of reply. Nobody will ever know what Carters state of mind was on that day so why was there a need for Penhall to comment. Cheap shot

Yeah but let’s be fair here, who knows what the state of Bruce’s mind was that day..

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 2

That may well be but no one was as cynical as Penhall that day at White City, the wheelies didn't help. I paid good money to watch what should have been an individual meeting turn into a Team fiasco. Wasn't too thrilled by the way he walked out of British Speedway and Cradley and absolutely no need to ever mention Kenny Carter after his death. There were some great American characters around at the time but Penhall was lacking in that department i'm afraid

One has a choice to make a possible film/TV career or to stay in a `'wonderful `midlands place" like Cradley. It would only take a couple of seconds to make an obvious choice IMO!

Penhall was asked a direct question in regard to his views on Kenny Carter and responded accordingly. Je could have said "No comment" but that was not wanted as his reply was part of a journalistic/publicity project that he was involved with.

Edited by Guest

So the reality is Penhalls comments were actually quite tame seeing as he was talking about a murderer.

Some of those sticking up for Carter, just because he happened to be good at riding a speedway bike really need to get a grip on what's important in life.

It cracks me up that people have such a big problem with Penhill about dropping points when we know the Brits like Wigg and Simmons etc all took money to drop points at these meetings ....in fact Wigg has been look upon as some kind of speedway hero .

• Like 5

My estimation of Bruce is jaundiced by that Overseas Final performance and the way he started to mess Cradley about later that year before quitting. The fact that he thought he could act was, perhaps, like me thinking I could have been his straight replacement at Dudley Wood.

Anyone who can lift two world titles in a five year professional career should never be derided.

My estimation of Bruce is jaundiced by that Overseas Final performance

And what of Dave Jessup and Larry Ross at the same meeting 12 months previously? Or was that OK, because they were British and Commonwealth riders?

Anyone who can lift two world titles in a five year professional career should never be derided.

Agreed - it was astonishing how much Penhall achieved in such a short period of time.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Cant believe people are getting their knickers in a twist over this.

Penhall and Carter - 2 hugley talented riders and brilliant to watch total entertainers.

However as characters they hated each other , nothing wrong in that and for what its worth i believe Penhall knocked Carter off and if that World Final was anywhere but in the USA (with the tv crew of CHIPS not there either) Penhall would have been excluded.

Carter was a murderer plain and simple and as Penhall said a coward.

He disliked Carter when he was alive he is hardly going to endorse the guy after the crime he commited!

And to be honest i dont like Penhall much but have no issue with the fact that he didnt like Carter

• Like 1

And what of Dave Jessup and Larry Ross at the same meeting 12 months previously? Or was that OK, because they were British and Commonwealth riders?

Didn't know about Ross or Jessup, but the Penhall panto was the core of the World Of Sport coverage and that's why I can recall it. I like Penhall, don't get me wrong, and can't believe British Speedway was the draw of many such stars back in the day. As for his quitting Cradley, that was a rare sort of thing back then, a rider messing his club about. Shame it isn't so in the modern era.

As for people getting upset about what Penhall said about Carter - get over it!!! We are becoming semi-pro's at being offended by comments... the "he said this, she called me that" sort of thing. Did you expect Bruce to lie? What sort of book would that have made?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Did you expect Bruce to lie? What sort of book would that have made?

Semi fiction

I don't think you can compare the two incidents. Jessup and Ross were still racing, whereas Penhall most definitely wasn't.

Obviously it was suspicious, but you couldn't say for a 100% fact that they were cheating, unlike Bruce.

I don't think you can compare the two incidents. Jessup and Ross were still racing, whereas Penhall most definitely wasn't.

Obviously it was suspicious, but you couldn't say for a 100% fact that they were cheating, unlike Bruce.

How about the time Ricko pulled up at Lynn, to allow a double to take place in the next heat?..blatant!!