British Speedway Forum

No, you claimed to see contact, when several other people watching the same coverage, couldn't see any contact. You couldn't see any contact because there was no contact. Not at that point of the bend, in any case.

All the best

Rob

Wrong.

It took me about 30 years to see it, but once you've seen it you see it every time after that.

What have you seen it on?

I had it on betamax for many years. Couldn't see any contact.

Watched it on Youtube. Couldn't see any contact.

Then, one day, Steve Shovlar put DVD quality footage on here. Straight away you could see the contact. It was a real "Eureka" moment. Had I been in the bath I would have got out an run down the street.

Penhall's wheel flicked out, bumped the left tip of Carter's handlebars. Carter jolted and fell off.

Not seeing contact doesn't mean there wasn't contact. Once you see it you will know. There was contact. Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise, because I saw it, and several others did too when that footage was posted.

• Like 2

I think we need to see Steve Sholvar's clip again. Where are you Steve?

• Like 1

Hard to imagine, each appeared just thrice in World Finals. I think that's correct, off the top of my head.

Edited by moxey63

Hard to imagine, each appeared just thrice each in World Finals. I think that's correct, off the top of my head.

You're quite correct. Penhall, 80-82 & Carter 81-83. Incredible really that they are still two of the most talked about racers in speedway history

• Like 2

You're quite correct. Penhall, 80-82 & Carter 81-83. Incredible really that they are still two of the most talked about racers in speedway history

Where have all the stars gone? We took them for granted back then, there were that many, and all we're left with are pretenders.

I don't think you can compare the two incidents. Jessup and Ross were still racing, whereas Penhall most definitely wasn't.

Obviously it was suspicious, but you couldn't say for a 100% fact that they were cheating, unlike Bruce.

Bruce's problem then was that he wasn't trying to hide the fact. He was being too open and honest. If it had been home riders. "Great team man. Taking one for the team etc etc

• Like 3

Where have all the stars gone? We took them for granted back then, there were that many, and all we're left with are pretenders.

think the strong list from the USA was the glamour time in speedway,when that disappeared, so did the crowds.

• Like 1

But speedway crowds were already in big decline by the 80 which was the era of the "glamor Americans." I have numerous programmes and Speedway stars from the era where declining crowds are alluded to, and the underlying causes are largely the same as today. I don't think you can correlate the decline of the yanks with decline of British speedway.

The Americans were clearly the big crowd pullers of the era, loved the England v usa tests of that era though with the likes of penhall siglos and the moran up against kc mort pc Lee Jessup etc

think the strong list from the USA was the glamour time in speedway,when that disappeared, so did the crowds.

True enough. Practically every American who came over here in the late seventies/early eighties was a star.

Even Rick Miller, who wasn't a star made a world final.

Hard to believe there hasn't been any great American riders since Hamill & Hancock

• Like 1

But speedway crowds were already in big decline by the 80 which was the era of the "glamor Americans." I have numerous programmes and Speedway stars from the era where declining crowds are alluded to, and the underlying causes are largely the same as today. I don't think you can correlate the decline of the yanks with decline of British speedway.

The Americans were clearly the big crowd pullers of the era, loved the England v usa tests of that era though with the likes of penhall siglos and the moran up against kc mort pc Lee Jessup etc

agree, its was better before the 80s, but think the end of the usa era, was noticeable, when the decline came about

True enough. Practically every American who came over here in the late seventies/early eighties was a star.

Even Rick Miller, who wasn't a star made a world final.

Kosta Lucero pfetzing ingels McConnell Christian?

Tbh I wouldn't call Gresham or Faria stars either

But I think to come to the UK from California, you had to be pretty good to justify sacrificing the Cali lifestyle. Plus they had to achieve a 6pt average to get a work visa.

Most of the yanks rode Hyde Rd so well, I'm still annoyed that the two we signed were Kosta and ingels.

agree, its was better before the 80s, but think the end of the usa era, was noticeable, when the decline came about

So many factors in the 80s though - loss of wembley and many other tracks, including iconic ones like hyde rd white city and the shay, premature loss of a range of genuine superstars etc.

Kosta Lucero pfetzing ingels McConnell Christian?

Tbh I wouldn't call Gresham or Faria stars either

But I think to come to the UK from California, you had to be pretty good to justify sacrificing the Cali lifestyle. Plus they had to achieve a 6pt average to get a work visa.

Most of the yanks rode Hyde Rd so well, I'm still annoyed that the two we signed were Kosta and ingels.

So many factors in the 80s though - loss of wembley and many other tracks, including iconic ones like hyde rd white city and the shay, premature loss of a range of genuine superstars etc.

Also the change from one off world final with qualifying rounds to GPs as well.

Also the change from one off world final with qualifying rounds to GPs as well.

I couldn't agree more. :t:

• Like 2

absolutely convinced the one offs would get rid of the "closed shop" boredom of the gps.

the cut off was just as interesting as the winners of the qualifyers, each round starting equal,

all riders in final itself starting level....golden days!!