British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

Mud In The Eye For The Mdl?

Given the superb work and effort put in by all those involved in the MDL over the past season does anybody else find it a huge shame that only 4 riders (Parker, Thomas, Govier, JPB) have graduated to the NL this season?

It appears that the rise in points limit has opened the door for returning riders or those from nowhere with very little experience.

I know the blame lays with the promoters but is anyone else a little saddened by this given the high uptake from the season before?

Just out of interest

1. Who are the riders you refer to as 'from nowhere with very little experience'

2. What riders from last years MDL do you feel have missed out because of the uplift in points

Not having a go. Just interested in who you feel is suffering from the changes

I think that last year's low points limit in the NL meant a larger than usual batch of riders promoted from the MDL to the NL (some before they were ready). So it is hardly surprising that a smaller cohort of riders is ready for NL this year.

Top 4 riders in 2015 MDL averages who do not have a team place or have not had substantial NL opportunities are Lee Geary, Andy Mellish, Sam Ward and Jeremy Pestell.

Of those only Sam Ward is under 30

I think the slight is entirely imagined. Besides there are still a few vacancies for 3 pt riders.

• Like 1

Nothing personal against any of the riders as its their job to put themselves in the shop window and the promoters who decide who gets selected.

The riders with little experience I would count as Phillips & Powell (TBC) (Eastbourne) and Saul (IOW).

I must confess that looking through the riders that featured in the MDL last year it was a little tougher to pick out some who could take on the next step than I expected. There are plenty of dedicated riders who know what it takes in terms of costs & travel but may need one more year.

Ignoring Hume, Hunter, Woods & Sheppard who all rode NL & MDL last year there are still a few who I thought some teams may have taken a chance on.

Perhaps these riders will pop up as number 8's (is that rule in force again this year?) maybe I was being a little hasty with my initial comments given the large uptake of riders from the MDL last season & should be proud of the 4 who have been selected.

Fingers crossed a couple will pop up in the final few available spaces & that the MDL & NJL continues to produce and prepare riders to take the step to the next level.

I like reading threads such as this , It gives an insight into the thoughts of those not actually involved in the lower orders of speedway , quite often throws up some surprises as people who are only looking in see things quite differently to how they really are .

Given the superb work and effort put in by all those involved in the MDL over the past season does anybody else find it a huge shame that only 4 riders (Parker, Thomas, Govier, JPB) have graduated to the NL this season?

It appears that the rise in points limit has opened the door for returning riders or those from nowhere with very little experience.

I know the blame lays with the promoters but is anyone else a little saddened by this given the high uptake from the season before?

you have to be careful that your judgement isn't clouded by the fact that some mdl riders came in after the season had started due to injuries sustained by teams throughout the league. my guess is more will finish the season in teams than be in at the start again

• Like 1

There are too many long term career NL riders, blocking the way.

• Like 2