British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You must live in a right dreary old world. I have been amazed at the sheer number and variety of restaurants on the high streets of London. I can only imagine the enthusiasm for food in London has boomed to keep them all going. But I know for the sake of a puerile comment you ignore facts

What’s wrong with you? You’re so aggressive when people express an alternative view.

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

What’s wrong with you? You’re so aggressive when people express an alternative view.

I treat people who lie about me with the contempt they deserve,because people who need to lie certainly have a problem. But I have posted a fact,. The number of restaurants on the streets of London, especially South of the river has absolutely exploded from 20 years ago. I would also imagine the sales of cook books is very healthy which would also disprove your comment......so

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

It's unbelievable the way that the variety of food available in the shops, and the myriad of different food choices on our high streets and malls shows how much this country has changed in the last forty five years.  In the 70's my brother wouldn't even eat pate or a baguette,  it was foreign muck. Give him a choice where to eat now, it'll be Italian, Greek  and preferably French.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

The lack of seasonality is the great banality of modern food shopping. That’s why our shopping lists rarely vary and our enthusiasm for food has diminished.

Each to their own, but I'd rather people have the choice rather than be dictated to by Brexiteer ideologues... 

I am not pro Europe and in different circumstance may well have voted leave. However as it is now I can't think of  any valid economic reason why we are better off out.

If you are scared of and do not want us to be part of a federal Europe I  of course see your point  of view.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Just highlights how the UK is increasingly out in the cold at the time when its economy is headed down the drain...

Well it will be all round to phloppy's house when the supermarkets start to run out of food. He needs of nothing from anyone :P

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Each to their own, but I'd rather people have the choice rather than be dictated to by Brexiteer ideologues... 

And, of course, you will have choice.

It’s only you project fear-mongers who pretend all exports and imports will dry up.

Don’t be so daft.

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well it will be all round to phloppy's house when the supermarkets start to run out of food. 

Just more project fear. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No it is project laugh at phloppy. You are out of your depth on here. Try the children’s section

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well it will be all round to phloppy's house when the supermarkets start to run out of food. He needs of nothing from anyone :P

Just now, DC2 said:

As  we know Phloppy is self sufficient  a shot gun and a few snares is all he needs and of course a plentiful supply of dock leaves(preferably perforated and quilted)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

That's what doom and gloom alarmists are all about, such cheery happy souls ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

So where are oranges and bananas grown in the UK then?

During the winter months I also hope you enjoy sweaty old apples than have been stored in the loft for several months... :D

Oranges and lemons growing very nicely here! Admittedly only 4 decent oranges this year but 30 plus lemons. I know, the man from Del Monte isn't going to be quaking in his boots....

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:24 PM, DC2 said:

Many businesses may have to change and seize the opportunities in the market due to them no longer being taken by imports.

Anyway, it’s not as if trade with the rest of the world is likely to cease, even if some does with the EU.

That’s just another daft project fear from remainers.

Trade with the rest of the world won't stop, but it will become more expensive, more complex, and probably take longer to transport the goods.

According to the IMF, there are just 35 advanced First World Economies i.e. there's only 35 rich countries that it's worth doing business with.

Of those 35 rich economies, 27 are in the EU. 4 of the other 8 are in Asia; and all are further away than Europe. So the cost and time it takes to transport goods are greater and longer. For the same reason why most people do their supermarket shop within 5 miles of their home, so most societies throughout history have traded with their neighbours.

This idea that the rest of the world is a market waiting for us with open arms is wishful thinking, there really aren't any dirt farmers in Somalia wanting financial advice from Eric in Croyden.

• Like 4