British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

12 minutes ago, dj350z said:

BBC:

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will travel to Brussels this week to meet European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in a last ditch effort to salvage a post-Brexit trade deal.

I hope he quarantines for 14 days on his return.

Cummings has offered to drive him. 

30 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Cummings has offered to drive him. 

Still needs to quarantine...

1 minute ago, dj350z said:

Still needs to quarantine...

The stupidity of the quarantine rules are that if you travel internationally at least once a week for work reasons, then you don't have to quarantine. If you travel less frequently then you do have to quarantine. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Dysons business is a global one. He hasn’t left Britain , quite the opposite in fact, as previously pointed out.

So once again I ask the question you dodged on last time of asking : What in the world is wrong with the CEL of a global manufacturing company setting up his HQ in the worlds fastest growing market for his product where he is already doing 50% of his total business ?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company moving their operations to anywhere in the world that is more efficient and cost effective.

However, when the founder and chairman of a company extolls the UK’s potential post-Brexit, but then moves his HQ from Britain to a foreign company, his words ring somewhat hollow.

As I said, Brexit will only impact the little guy. The likes of Dyson and Collinson can and clearly do arrange their operations anywhere in the world to avoid any negative impacts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company moving their operations to anywhere in the world that is more efficient and cost effective.

However, when the founder and chairman of a company extolls the UK’s potential post-Brexit, but then moves his HQ from Britain to a foreign company, his words ring somewhat hollow.

Do they?

Britain is entering a new and dynamic global trading era and locating HQs abroad is a brilliant way of cementing those relations.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Do they?

Britain is entering a new and dynamic global trading era and locating HQs abroad is a brilliant way of cementing those relations.

Yes - and seriously, you don't really believe Britain is entering a new and dynamic global trading era, do you? We have simply rolled over existing trade agreements which we enjoyed as part of the EU, therefore at best we are standing still.

How does Dyson moving two executives to Singapore "cement those relations", especially when they already have over 1,000 employees in that country?

Same with Collinson and Stripe, they are based in the US as that is where the ecosystem for cutting edge tech development everything from the best developers, to incubators, to VCs, exists. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MattK said:

As I said, Brexit will only impact the little guy. The likes of Dyson and Collinson can and clearly do arrange their operations anywhere in the world to avoid any negative impacts.

So, we are agreed that there is nothing wrong with Dyson moving his HQ , basically consisting of two senior executives to be on site at his fastest growing market. Any successful business man would at least give consideration to doing the same thing. However to say that somehow precludes him from giving his opinion on Brexit is patent nonsense. It’s no different to someone supporting Remain then moving his HQ out of the EU.

If Dyson was moving his entire operation abroad I could understand the criticism but his confidence in the UK is backed up by billions of pounds of investment here. He is the sort of business man the country and the economy needs, far more than the likes of Phillip Green who makes a fortune here then runs of to Monaco with his employees pension fund.

It never ceases to amaze me that for all the positive arguments there are for remain, people stick to non-points like Dyson and Honda

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MattK said:

Yes - and seriously, you don't really believe Britain is entering a new and dynamic global trading era, do you? 

Yes, I do.

27 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

So, we are agreed that there is nothing wrong with Dyson moving his HQ , basically consisting of two senior executives to be on site at his fastest growing market. Any successful business man would at least give consideration to doing the same thing. However to say that somehow precludes him from giving his opinion on Brexit is patent nonsense. It’s no different to someone supporting Remain then moving his HQ out of the EU.

What does Dyson gain from moving their HQ and two executives to Singapore, when they already have over 1,000 employees in their manufacturing and technology centre there?

25 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I do.

What makes you think that?

8 minutes ago, MattK said:

What makes you think that?

a) what choice do we have!

b) we have fabulous scientific research and innovation which will undoubtedly be in demand.

What Britain joined in 1975, the trading bloc, is nothing like what it became without anyone's permission, a federal superstate...