British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Doesn't include services, which will be substantial and badly affected by a no-deal Brexit. 

No, it doesn’t, nor “know-how” or intellectual property from R&D.

4 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

What Britain joined in 1975, the trading bloc, is nothing like what it became without anyone's permission, a federal superstate...

Each country had a choice and the choice was to move in that direction. It was hardly as you say done without anyone’s permission

If Boris comes back from Brussels with a good deal or a bad one will it be with your permission ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

a) what choice do we have!

b) we have fabulous scientific research and innovation which will undoubtedly be in demand.

So the best you can come up with is 

what choice do we have?!!!!

I believe there was a choice!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dj350z said:

It’s the choice between whining ninny and getting on with it! 

Not so long ago in my line of work the government replaced a single page form with a 12 page one and replaced an “open market” with anti-money laundering regulations and various checks that I could not charge extra for.

I moaned at first but took it in my stride after a few months.

Edited by DC2

47 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Doesn't include services, which will be substantial and badly affected by a no-deal Brexit. 

They were going to be disastrously and immediately affected by voting leave as well.

2 hours ago, MattK said:

What does Dyson gain from moving their HQ and two executives to Singapore, when they already have over 1,000 employees in their manufacturing and technology centre there?

Try a bit of lateral thinking .

What advantage do you think he stands to gain by moving to executives to the continent that has his fastest growing market and 50% of his world business when he has a 1000 employees of a different culture and different out look to be managed ?

Its all a non-point . Plenty of global companies have senior executives on other continents . As you said in your earlier post there’s nothing wrong with it if it results in efficiencies. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Yes, there was a choice . A survey by the University  of Essex indicated that those whose business involved the EU tended to vote remain and those whose business didn’t involve the EU tended to vote leave.  

You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs and which ever way you break it down, a large percentage are going to feel aggrieved by the result. 

The more I think about this the more that I think it’s been and utter shambles from the start , and by the start I mean John Majors handling of the Maastricht Agreement and his jiggers- pokery  getting it though Parliament . The Social Chapter, or parts of it were the problem then and they’ve been the problem ever since, because the issue was never really sorted from the start.

12 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Try a bit of lateral thinking .

What advantage do you think he stands to gain by moving to executives to the continent that has his fastest growing market and 50% of his world business when he has a 1000 employees of a different culture and different out look to be managed ?

Its all a non-point . Plenty of global companies have senior executives on other continents . As you said in your earlier post there’s nothing wrong with it if it results in efficiencies. 

I have no idea, that's why I asked.

I don't think his two executives will be managing the day-to-day operations of the manufacturing or development, especially given these have been in operation for many years. I assume there are tax advantages and maybe he personally likes Singapore, although he has recently sold his penthouse apartment. Maybe they wouldn't let him hang a fighter jet from the ceiling?

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

What Britain joined in 1975, the trading bloc, is nothing like what it became without anyone's permission, a federal superstate...

Yes, but as we now know , it was Edward Heaths intention all along to move in that direction, although it appears the electorate were never told.

Even if it had been made public the idea of European harmony is an attractive one in theory. The problem is the money wasting dinosaur that it has become in the hands of career politicians.

4 minutes ago, MattK said:

I have no idea, that's why I asked.

I don't think his two executives will be managing the day-to-day operations of the manufacturing or development, especially given these have been in operation for many years. I assume there are tax advantages and maybe he personally likes Singapore, although he has recently sold his penthouse apartment. Maybe they wouldn't let him hang a fighter jet from the ceiling?

Well those comments make any further discussion unnecessary . The situation is clear.

James Dyson still paying tax in the UK (£127 million in 2018) plus all the National Insurance and income tax from those he employees in the UK. 

15 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Yes, but as we now know , it was Edward Heaths intention all along to move in that direction, although it appears the electorate were never told.

Even if it had been made public the idea of European harmony is an attractive one in theory. The problem is the money wasting dinosaur that it has become in the hands of career politicians.

I recall Enoch vigorously warning us about it, but of course nobody listened...

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

I recall Enoch vigorously warning us about it, but of course nobody listened...

If you’re alluding to the “Rivers Of Blood” we’ve still not had them 50 years later!

And yet people still say “Enoch was right”.  :D

The sooner he’s forgotten, the better.

Just now, DC2 said:

If you’re alluding to the “Rivers Of Blood” we’ve still not had them 50 years later!

No, i'm not referring to that...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DC2 said:

He didn’t actually say Rivers of Blood.He made a quote from Virgil which got twisted by the media. It’s all on YouTube.  His choice of language was ill -  considered but he was drawing attention to and quoting from his constituents concerns which is actually an MP’s job. We haven’t seen the sort of racial tension he was alluding to, but what we have seen for example are things like Asian paedophile gangs preying on vulnerable white girls in 24 towns and cities and the authorities turning a blind eye because they didn’t want to “upset the multicultural boat “ 

This is the deeper problem, and it was the same with the likes ofJimmy Saville and Cyril Smith , wrong things go on and the political establishment pretend its not happening. 

Powell was sacked from the cabinet for the rivers of blood speech, and later resigned from the Conservative party over membership of what was then the EEC. He politics can be criticised but not his integrity in putting his career on the line for what he thought was right , pity a few of the modern day U-turners and flip-floppers don’t do the same. 

• Like 2