British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

20 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Powell never advocated “ sending them all back “ , he advocated a more moderate approach to immigration, and he was the MP for a constituency that had a particular immigration problem

Far better a representative that speaks up for his constituents that someone like Gordon Brown who was sympathetic to Mrs Gillian Duffy when she spoke about immigration , then called her a bigot behind her back when he thought he was off Camera.. 

I suspect Powell’s real crime was that as a Cabinet member he spoke out in public rather than raising it in cabinet and accepting collective responsibility , but I suppose he must have known he would be sacked.

Actually I once shared an office with someone who was an ardent member of the Communist Party and he told me he admired Powell, not for his politics but for having principles and sticking to them, which a lot of politicians don’t.

POWELL was fearful that immigration could lead to segregated areas in communities where they settled and he was correct.

• Like 1

And so it looks likely we will get the very worst possible no deal brexit due to the intransigence of the ERG lapdog, Johnson.

The carnage about to be unleashed on naive brexit voters will be something to behold. I truly believe the majority of working class brexit voters have little idea just how bad their lives are going to get in just a very short period of time. Fish and sovereignty will be the last thing of their uneducated minds when they find themselves out of work. You can’t eat sovereignty. We have always had it, just as the French have always had it and have used it this last week when they made their opinions clear on the possibility of a veto of ny deal.

Part of me wants a deal, as it would make my business run far easier with less paper work. Yet a no deal crash and burn will mean the next government will be doing all they can for the clear majority who wish to return and be a member of  the EU. 

Brexit was a ridiculous idea, and will prove to be a disaster, no matter how many times Johnson says we will all prosper mightily. If that was the case, why haven’t any of them said just how that will happen? And there’s going to be no point returning to the negotiating table with the EU next year, because the EU have said what Britain needs to do to have access to the single market. 

I can say I am prepared as I can be. Newspapers now saying empty supermarkets by Christmas with no deal. I am well stocked up now to see out the weeks and months of food panic about to beset the U.K.. Are you?

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

And so it looks likely we will get the very worst possible no deal brexit due to the intransigence of the ERG lapdog, Johnson.

The carnage about to be unleashed on naive brexit voters will be something to behold. I truly believe the majority of working class brexit voters have little idea just how bad their lives are going to get in just a very short period of time. Fish and sovereignty will be the last thing of their uneducated minds when they find themselves out of work. You can’t eat sovereignty. We have always had it, just as the French have always had it and have used it this last week when they made their opinions clear on the possibility of a veto of ny deal.

Part of me wants a deal, as it would make my business run far easier with less paper work. Yet a no deal crash and burn will mean the next government will be doing all they can for the clear majority who wish to return and be a member of  the EU. 

Brexit was a ridiculous idea, and will prove to be a disaster, no matter how many times Johnson says we will all prosper mightily. If that was the case, why haven’t any of them said just how that will happen? And there’s going to be no point returning to the negotiating table with the EU next year, because the EU have said what Britain needs to do to have access to the single market. 

I can say I am prepared as I can be. Newspapers now saying empty supermarkets by Christmas with no deal. I am well stocked up now to see out the weeks and months of food panic about to beset the U.K.. Are you?

Oh dear, it must be true then...:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You should write for the Daily Mash , but i think you need to up your game a bit to be a regular columnist :D . Would have been a regular on Jackanory though !

Well if you think a no deal brexit is going to be good, you are one of the brexit voters I am talking about.:lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well if you think a no deal brexit is going to be good, you are one of the brexit voters I am talking about.:lol:

Anything that gets us out of the clutches of Brussels is good for me. We didnt bail them out of two world wars to be ruled by tinpot federalists from Brussels. Let them get on with Monnet and Co's dream of a federal europe , just leave us out of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

POWELL was fearful that immigration could lead to segregated areas in communities where they settled and he was correct.

Well you live in a segregated community, don't you...? :D

49 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

WHICH newspaper has said empty supermarkets by Christmas... what is going to changeover the next 17days?

• Like 1

Just now, PHILIPRISING said:

WHICH newspaper has said empty supermarkets by Christmas... what is going to changeover the next 17days?

Read it online today and I think it’s also on the bbc website. Quoting the boss of the federation of supermarkets who said it will be far worse than when panic buying started with the first COVID lockdown. Is time there is a serious possibility that shelves will not be replenished quickly, and prices will be much higher.

If Johnson says there’s no deal, expect empty supermarket shelves in the next couple of weeks. I am well stocked up so not bothered too much. Wouldn’t like to be a supermarket security guard in the next few months!

4 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well you live in a segregated community, don't you...? :D

IF you mean Woking, the Shaf Jahan Mosque is the first purpose built mosque in the country and yes there are community areas that are almost if not totally Muslim.

Of course, you might be referring to Florida, where I haven't been for 18 months and I am unaware of any segregated communities in Sarasota.

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I'm afraid it's Steve over generalising again to suit his point of view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Legislation on statutory paid holidays has been around since the 1930’s and has been progressively  increased ever since, like most terms and conditions of employment. This has been far more due to the influence of the much maligned trades unions than the EU , especially as the statutory minimum in this country exceeds the minimum under the EU Working Time Directive.

We've had this discussion before.

Holiday pay was only statutory in certain industries and was not a universal entitlement. It was only when the EU Social Chapter was implemented in 1998 that it became a universal right.

I can quite categorical tell you that because I wasn't entitled to, and didn't receive holiday pay in a full-time job that I did for 3 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Read it online today and I think it’s also on the bbc website. Quoting the boss of the federation of supermarkets who said it will be far worse than when panic buying started with the first COVID lockdown. Is time there is a serious possibility that shelves will not be replenished quickly, and prices will be much higher.

If Johnson says there’s no deal, expect empty supermarket shelves in the next couple of weeks. I am well stocked up so not bothered too much. Wouldn’t like to be a supermarket security guard in the next few months!

YOU said empty supermarket shelves ... care to provide a link for that exact quote

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

I'm afraid it's Steve over generalising  talking crap again to suit his point of view.

Sorry for the edit SR :D

• Haha 1