British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

2 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

So explain to me why the 7% of elite public school boys get 95% of the top jobs? When state school pupils go to university they perform significantly better than kids from independent schools? This educational belttling is so wrong. I've been though 2 universities and common sense analogies show how little you understand academia and  independent learning. I presume your father-in-law went to the Univercity of Life.

I’ve no idea why 7% of elite public school boys get 95 % of top jobs. Perhaps it’s the old school tie that gets them there but I suspect your definition of a top job is different to mine. All the statistic says to me is that 93% of elite public school boys don’t get a top job so it’s doesn’t say much for an education that is expensive but not expansive, ( as Geoffrey Boycott said about Richard Illingworth :rolleyes:)

Who is belittling education ? I am not, so yet again you are seeing something that’s not there. I totally agree with Speedy 69 who said skills are acquired in many different ways, all of them useful in the right place. In fact rumour has it that one of the smartest brains in Swindon has found his vocation washing up in Noodle King:).

You have the advantage on me having been through two universities. I never went through one. Wasted all my schooldays daydreaming about speedway. How shocking is that ?:nono:

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I've never denigrated anyone who goes out and does a job, whatever it is, and I fully agree that bin men and cleaners are important. However, the fact remains those jobs are not equal in value because most people could do them, whereas few can be brain surgeons, and pay levels largely reflect that. 

Equally, if someone has taken the trouble to develop skills that the country needs - including continuing in education whether you value you that or not - and often paying for that themselves - why should they be knocked for that? More to the point, why should their opportunities be restricted because those who can't or won't develop skills resent that?

The usual rant against education then. 

I wouldn't disagree that academic qualifications aren't the right path for many, but I absolutely disagree that people should just be happy with low paid unskilled jobs and not aspire to something better. That the worst type of patronising, keep-the-peasants-ignorant type of claptrap that you used get back in Victorian times. 

But the point about graduates is that whilst university often doesn't qualify you to do anything in particular, it does generally give you an all-round wherewithal that helps you quickly pick up new skills and adapt to changing circumstances. And shock horror, being a graduate and having practical skills are not mutually exclusive - I'm a competent household electrician, okay woodworker and metalworker, can disassemble and repair simple engines, and grew up on construction sites so have a decent idea of how things are built including roofs. I'm not going to be a skilled roofer in 6 weeks, nor do I want to be, but I probably could turn my hand to it if that was the only thing going. 

And perhaps having some insight from graduates has actually improved safety rather than just let the 'experts' employ lax safety standards and fall off roofs as used to happen...? :D

Your usual take a post and turn it into what I wish had been said.

Most people could be lots of things but for whatever reason left school without the qualifications and are then too busy earning a living to get them or for some incapable of gaining academic qualifications. Anybody might be capable of doing those menial jobs but if they have the qualifications to do otherwise they don't want to (as you're very quick to point out when it comes to freedom of movement keeping those jobs low paid!)

Nobody is saying there is anything wrong with gaining an education and every single person should have the opportunity. However what constitutes an education has to be about more than academic qualifications. The opportunity to learn to be a properly skilled worker comes via an education. A lad starting out as a labourer on a building site should be able to do so without taking an exam, as things stand he can't do that. If he then shows promise there is the opportunity to become a tradesman and that is still an education, it's not all about university. Then again if labouring is what he wants then somebody has to sweep up, for some people it's fine.

As for graduates going straight to management in my experience I doubt if 10% of them are as good as managers with on the job experience, particularly when it comes to man management.

• Like 5

New trade deal signed with Singapore.

Get in.  :D

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

New trade deal signed with Singapore.

Get in.  :D

Didn't they say it just mirrors what we currently have with Singapore?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, severnsider said:

Didn't they say it just mirrors what we currently have with Singapore?

Yes.

Hope no one is planning to travel to europe after Jan 1. You won’t get in as due to brexit, Britain will be treated as a third country and citizens will be barred due to COVID. No skiing this year!

Also, more businesses flood over the channel away from the U.K.

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hope no one is planning to travel to europe after Jan 1. You won’t get in as due to brexit, Britain will be treated as a third country and citizens will be barred due to COVID. No skiing this year!

Is your cart dealership moving overseas?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No.

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Blimey, Steve, your import-export business is going to go t*ts up.  :D

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

SO, countries like Italy, Portugal and Spain which benefit hugely by the influx of British tourists will be happy with that? 

26 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Is your cart dealership moving overseas?

For the life of me I never understand what you are on about when you repeatedly post this.

12 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Blimey, Steve, your import-export business is going to go t*ts up.  :D

Export only.  And yes, there will be delays and lots of extra paperwork.